Whatever Happens Issue

LastHazza
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm sure you're all aware of the Whatever Happens policy Currys run.

I've had a bit of a customer service scuffle with them. They don't respond to my emails unless I badger them on social media (then I get a quick response - funny that!) and they don't call me back when they say they will.

Quick run-down of the events. I'd love to know whether you think I'm in the right, or whether I should just suck it up and move on.

My laptop went into repair (boot-up issue) on the 17th of October 2012. Due to a clerical fault on Currys/KnowHow's end, it was recieved back in store on 1st of November without a fix.

At this stage, the Currys staff member attempted to request a write-off as there was no way that the computer would now be fixed within 28 days. The service summary I have says at this point the laptop was past the '28 day remit for repair'.

The Currys staff member was unable to complete this request 'as unit is in transit'. He was told that he needs to 'await return to store and then call knowhow for writeoff.' I have all this in writing.

When the laptop returned to the Currys store, fixed, on 24th of Nov (clearly outside the 28 day remit) we called to request a write-off. This was denied 'because the product has already been repaired'.

So essentially, I was told to wait until it was back in store and then when it was back in store I was told they would not process it. This seems incredibly misleading/unethical/ and a potential break of policy.

Given that the fix took longer than 28 days, surely they have to honour their contract and what's stated in the service summary, regardless of the current status of the unit?

These other points aren't part of my main grievance but have some connection:

• Since the laptop was returned it has major connectivity issues.
  • They had to perform a data transfer on the computer and only transfered around 20% of the files on my computer. Many files with sentimental value were lost. They labelled this operation on the data rescue form, a 'success'.
  • My emails have been largely ignored.

All of which has combined into a rather frustrating experience. I'd love to try and get some objectivity in regards to it. Is it worth pushing forward with this, and taking further action. What should be my next steps? Should I drop it.

Thanks for reading. Apologies for the length.

TBH:

i've never heard of this auto write off rule over 28days

we've heard and used the 28days, but never seen the write off bit.

we used to have reps here but i've notseen them for a longtime.

IMHO a GOGW for the lost data

though again, that normally costs and is not covered by the whatever happens

so we've been told here before

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply. Quote from the KnowHow website: "If we are unable to repair your product within 7 days for WHATEVER HAPPENS™ Premier and 28 days for WHATEVER HAPPENS™, you may request a replacement product. The replacement will usually be in the form of vouchers to enable you to purchase a product of equivalent specification. Occasionally you may receive a fully reconditioned product."

hi, i think you are missing some story here.

how old is your laptop and which repair policy do you have. some Wateverhappens has 21 days some has 28 days...

you mention you left LT on 17/10 and was sent back to store on 1/11 with no fix- what was the reason

from 1/11 to 17/11 thats 17 days - what was the delay in this repair- why couldnt they repair between those days

the data recovery has no connection- or cannot be used as excuse for "over 28 day"

and last question i have is,tis happened in november last year, its february now.

do you have the laptop? why was this not addressed before, why are you addressing this now,

Laptop is a couple of years old - I've had the policy for a couple of years, so I'm still on the 28 days policy.

As for those 17 days - I'm not sure what happened. The faults on their end there.

And yes, it's February now. You try sending an email to Currys customer service and see how quickly it gets dealt with.

I sent the first email on the 24th November. When I phone up I get told nonsense, so I've had to go in store and get a print off, of the service summary. Now I'm able to put the facts in front of the customer service and not get told stuff like:

'It actually was done within the 28 days' and 'No one requested the writeoff, so we didn't honour it'.

I would love it to have been dealt with earlier, also.

Have you tried speaking to the manager of your store?

For me personally, the whatever happens policy works like a treat. I get instant swaps etc. With laptops/repairs it can be an issue which I havn't experienced, as it has to be sent away.

My TV was repaired under warranty and it did take ages like your laptop (maybe a bit longer).

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...