Old people should 'hurry up and die'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Finance Minister Taro Aso said Monday the elderly should be allowed to “hurry up and die” instead of costing the government money for life-prolonging medical care.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/aso-says-elderly-should-be-allowed-to-hurry-up-and-die

Aso, who also doubles as deputy prime minister, said during a meeting of the National Council on Social Security Reforms: “Heaven forbid if you are forced to live on when you want to die. You cannot sleep well when you think it’s all being paid for by the government.
The gentleman above is no spring chicken himself, he's 72. Should he give the good example himself?

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

72, yes he should then set an example himself. sayonara :) but, no chance. he's in power so will be ok. not like 'his 'people' that should die when they can no longer contribute their well earned income that pays for his luxury living.

we complain about mp's expenses, accountability, etc, justifiably. but just look at some countries. n korea, and some african countries, for eg, the 'rulers' live a life of luxury yet 'their' 'people' suffer horrendous poverty etc. similar situ in other asian, and african, countries. if africa united for eg, and got rid of the outside influences, terrorists, etc, and corrupt/power hungry individuals, they could be such a wealthy & powerful continent. no wonder there are still outside influences! thatchers son excluded :)

Edited by Ford

IMO

:-):rant:

What about the Liverpool Pathway used in this country so terminally ill patients can die with "Dignity". Watching my mother die on this caring course was beyond words. If it wasn't for the fact my sister is a nurse herself, and made certain that my mother was kept hydrated, it would have been even worse than it was. At least this bloke spoke out load what some of our caring leaders are thinking.

..... At least this bloke spoke out load what some of our caring leaders are thinking.

seems as if he was more concerned with gov't costs then the right to die. '“...... You cannot sleep well when you think it’s all being paid for by the government."

Edited by Ford

IMO

seems as if he was more concerned with gov't costs then the right to die. '“...... You cannot sleep well when you think it’s all being paid for by the government."

Oh I see. Pay into the system for 40 odd years, which you'd hope would support you in your old age. And this is how they repay you...

I think you have miss-read this, he isn't talking killing them off, just not forcing them to take drugs that keep them alive when they want to pass on.

“I don’t need that kind of care. I will die quickly,” he said adding he had left written instructions that his life is not artificially prolonged.

does seem a bit ambiguous. on one hand he's suggesting that he and others should not have to be laid up with tubes etc. but, on the other saying that his people should be worried about the gov't costs for someone being ill when 'old'. some people recover from being in 'tubes'. and should have every right to live, as to die, despite any 'costs'. depends on the circumstances. maybe just a bad choice of words?

Edited by Ford

IMO

I think it's clear what he says: he doesn't want the state to pay for treatments that can prolong old people's lives.

I personally don't believe in overmedicalization but some categories of old people need constant care and supply of medicines. If you cut this supply what basically happens is that they die.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"