Earnings Arrestment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just received notification of earnings arrestment through the post for council tax. Is there any way to appeal this. By my calculations, thats around £250 quid a month out of my wages, money I can't afford. We are a family of four and this will cripple our household budget.

In short no, once an earnings arrestment has been served your employer is legaly bound to make the deductions. Council Tax is a Statutory debt and once a Summary Warrant has been granted there is really nothing that can be done.

I accept that this is not what you wanted to hear, but I am afraid that you are caught between a rock and a hard place.

I don't know your full circumstances, however I would suggest that you look at the Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS) through a free advice service as it is possible that this would solve your problem as Council Tax could be included and the arrestmentl lifted. This would not be possible in DMP and furthermore some of your money would be lost in fees. DAS has many advantages as it is set up and managed free of charge so long as you go through an organisation such as CAB, unlike DMP DAS automatically freezes interest and charges upon acceptance, it also protects you from enforcement action and protects the property if you own your home.

For more information go to Money Scotland.Gov

GOOD LUCK

If you think this information is of assistance, please click on the star

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, upon acceptance of the proposal the arrestment will be lifted, (So long as it is not conjoined) this simply means that there should not be more than one creditor sharing the proceeds of arrestment)

This will give you the opportunity to address all your debts over a reasonable period(normaly not exceeding 10 years) I would also strongly advise that you meet your ongoing Council Tax Liability to avoid further difficulties in future.

I would also suggest that you make a joint application with your wife / partner as Council Tax is joint and several.

This suggestion is based on the limited information I Have, therfore I would suggest that you visit Money Scotland. Gov and look for yoiur nearest FREE DAS agency. Depending on the number of debts and the complications of obtaining balances, the process can take a number of weeks to set up.

I hope this information is of assistance.