Leaving A Permanent Job To A Temporary One

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I presently have a fulltime job, but I wish to leave as the amount of stress has been making me ill, consequently I am now off sick. The job has changed greatly and more and more workload is being added all the time. I have had a meeting with my line manager, but they are not willing to change anything, so I know that the job won't get any better.

I have been offered the possibility of working a temporary job for the run up to Christmas. It's a job that I did when I was at university, so I know what it will entail, but it will definitely end at Christmas.

I would be willing to work my notice with the permanent job as well as working the temporary job, due to shifts, but after the Christmas period I would be unemployed, though I would be actively hunting another job, even if it's another temporary position.

My concern is, would I be able to sign on and receive JSA, as my last job would have been a temporary one that ran its course, but I had left a permanent job for it? Obviously I wouldn't be intending to be receiving JSA for long, but you cannot be certain of how long it would take to get the next job.

I believe the answer is yes - because you would have reached an end of contract, the resignation from the Perm job would have run its course.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Hello there.

If you have a question about benefits, the Benefits forum here is the best place to ask your questions. This one is for problems with the job itself, although you might wish to ask questions about that too.

May I suggest that you repost your JSA queries on the other forum please? The guys there are very helpful.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Azza72,

The answer to your question is yes you would be able to claim JSA after the temporary contract ends.

Something that I did not know that will not apply to you but may be helpful to someone else is that if someone resigns from a permanent job for reasons of bullying or harassment making it impossible for them to continue their permanent job, they are able to apply for benefits and would be exempt from the 26 week rule of no benefit entitlement.

I resigned back in June and submitted a claim to employment tribunal for unfair constructive dismissal and disability discrimination, but did not apply for benefits as I believed I would not be entitled. Following a conversation with an advisor at my local jobcentre I learned that I was entitled to claim from the date I resigned because I had been forced to leave.

I have been through the stress and anxiety you are now experiencing and from personal experience am glad you are considering leaving your job, even though there is an element of risk. Something I learned the hard way is our health must always come first and no job is worth getting so unwell over. Wish I had of known this sooner.

Good luck in your decision

DJ