Motability - a bumpy road ahead ...

RaeUK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Motability have updated their website with their latest understanding of PIP. Whilst most of the info won't come as a surprise - it's been described as 'a chilling read' elsewhere - it is worth having a read through. You can find it here.

As if decimating the Motability scheme and removing the personal independence from thousands and thousands and thousands of mobility impaired people wasn't enough:

Customers will be able to appeal to the DWP if they disagree with the decision. However, DWP will not continue to make DLA payments while an appeal is being processed and so Motability will not be able to leave the vehicle with you. If the appeal is successful, you will of course be eligible to re-join the Scheme.

Motability have updated their website with their latest understanding of PIP. Whilst most of the info won't come as a surprise - it's been described as 'a chilling read' elsewhere - it is worth having a read through. You can find it here.

As if decimating the Motability scheme and removing the personal independence from thousands and thousands and thousands of mobility impaired people wasn't enough:

Erm DLA is not payable whilst being appealed or until it is awarded so your point is.....

I think that's always been the case. Years ago someone I know had their motability car collected as they'd lost their DLA on a renewal which was letter reinstated and they reapplied for another car. They'd lost the deposit the'd recently paid on the original car and had to pay again. So I don't think this is new at all.

i for one despite my mobility problems, have resigned myself to losing the car, and my dla award....they can take the bloody thing if it helps the 'majority of hard working people' in this country feel so much better knowing another 'scrounger' has been removed from the benefit 'trap' it will decimate the used car market when all these vehicles go back to the dealers, but as usual 'short term thinking' will lead to the inevitable 'long term problem'

This is something that should definitely be investigated, with some protection put in place. It is disgraceful that someone enters into a motability agreement - pays a deposit and uses the vehicle for a while then has it removed from them because they are next on the list for an assessment. This should be resolved before the agreement is entered into.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This is something that should definitely be investigated, with some protection put in place. It is disgraceful that someone enters into a motability agreement - pays a deposit and uses the vehicle for a while then has it removed from them because they are next on the list for an assessment. This should be resolved before the agreement is entered into.
well i can only agree but it won't be, they are determined to get at least 20% saving on this, and they will get it one way or another, whatever the cost to peoples lives or independence....the fact is the majority of people in this country are applauding this move..they see it simply as the 'scroungers' being taken out of the system at long last...propoganda is a very hard weapon to fight against..plus of course the 'its the hard working people in this country are paying for this' argument that is given every time anyone questions this odious govt

wouldnt surprise me...nothing IDS and this govt does no longer surprises me...if you appeal and they take away whole award, look at the savings they will make until the hard pressed tribunal services get to looking at it...oh it will be backdated if you win...however, from the threads on here i wouldnt hold my breath waiting for the money..as is happening with ESA....face it guys we are not needed, not wanted, and are a drain on society...the sooner we all go away for them the better

But I need my benefits now; not in a lump sum in a years time...

Every time I phone the BDC about back payment I get a different story, minimum waiting times to sort out the claim following an appeal win have ranged from five weeks to twelve, I'm currently on week nine.

Surprisingly, my energy and water suppliers are not impressed when I give them a similar timescale to clear arrears.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

But I need my benefits now; not in a lump sum in a years time...
unfortunately that is your position...it is not theirs...i will keep saying it until i run out breath....they dont care!! providing they are saving 'the hard working taxpayer' who blindly go along with this nonsense until it impacts them if they fall sick or ill, then nothings gonna change, we may as well get used to the fact that we are 'surplus to requirements'

Two years ago I was awarded indefinite mobility as my problem will get worse with time. I only turn 64 in September 2013 so fall into the trap.

Our concern is that we saved up the mobility element of my DLA and used it as a deposit on a second hand vehicle with the balance on HP. We will be seriously disadvantaged if the mobility element is removed as we are using that to pay the HP. We made this decision based on the fact that I was granted indefinite mobility.

In essence we will probably end up with the car being repossessed, bad credit history, no refund of any deposit and having to pay road tax if we are lucky enough to afford an old banger. We also have a caravan which we use for short breaks as I cannot travel overseas so it is one way of having a holiday. Obviously no car to tow caravan, we lose out again!

I feel as if I am being heavily discriminated against through no fault of mine because of my disability. Even if I appealed, in the meantime no payments and unable to keep up finance agreement! I am sure that there are thousands of people who like me have bought a car of their own choosing and have been using the mobility element to pay for the car.

At the moment I am too scared to tell the wife as she will have a panic attack. How can we stop this madness?

The old mobility allowance and DLA have Never been paid during an appeal,same will apply under PIP

There is a lot of confusion go around

On existing claimants http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/disability/personal-independence-payment/#wpi

There is no automatic transfer from Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to Personal Independence Payment. Between October 2013 and March 2016 we will write to claimants already getting DLA to invite them to make a claim for Personal Independence Payment. They will be individually assessed against the new entitlement criteria.
Full details http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Disabledpeople/DG_201317

Don't forget DLA is currently dealt with by

Disability Living Allowance Unit or Attendance Allowance Unit

Warbreck House

Warbreck Hill

Blackpool

Lancashire

FY2 0YE

08457 123 456

and Not a BDC

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Two years ago I was awarded indefinite mobility as my problem will get worse with time. I only turn 64 in September 2013 so fall into the trap.

Our concern is that we saved up the mobility element of my DLA and used it as a deposit on a second hand vehicle with the balance on HP. We will be seriously disadvantaged if the mobility element is removed as we are using that to pay the HP. We made this decision based on the fact that I was granted indefinite mobility.

In essence we will probably end up with the car being repossessed, bad credit history, no refund of any deposit and having to pay road tax if we are lucky enough to afford an old banger. We also have a caravan which we use for short breaks as I cannot travel overseas so it is one way of having a holiday. Obviously no car to tow caravan, we lose out again!

I feel as if I am being heavily discriminated against through no fault of mine because of my disability. Even if I appealed, in the meantime no payments and unable to keep up finance agreement! I am sure that there are thousands of people who like me have bought a car of their own choosing and have been using the mobility element to pay for the car.

At the moment I am too scared to tell the wife as she will have a panic attack. How can we stop this madness?

as i said i dont know how to stop it..have resigned myself to it..and if i manage by some miracle to get pip it will be a bonus and i keep the car....we are paying the price for arrogant b*st??8 in parliament

The estimated losses to the UK car industry are far higher than the money that will be saved by getting people off DLA, to say nothing of all the job losses (both to car workers and disabled unable to get to work), and subsequent loss in tax income and increase in ESA and JSA claimants.

Therefor the reasoning behind PIP can't be save money as was first claimed, it must be to stop all us scrounging disabled **** from driving around in free cars. The WPMS is not changing, but in all honesty i can't see the scheme being able to survive on the number of cars leased by pensioners and service personnel. I know for a fact that many cars are subsidised by £1000s by the manufactures (mine was by £6000), with only a fraction of the sales they may not do this in the future. Also for the scheme to work cars need to be leased for 3 years, under PIP this won't be guaranteed to say nothing of the damage done by thousands leaving the scheme part way through their leases between 2013 and 2016.

I will though finish this post on a high note, those of us who need bigger cars and put down an Advance Payment will not lose out; our payments will be returned on a pro-rata basis.

Edited by count orlok

I agree us disabled scrounging scumbags should be put in our place....many many people are going to be hit badly and it will hit the car market badly, disabled people who rely on their car for work, are going to be hit really hard...this govt are sc*m, and they should hang their heads in shame...but they won't

The old mobility allowance and DLA have Never been paid during an appeal,same will apply under PIP

There is a lot of confusion go around

Yes but for many the problem is that they have been awarded say DLA mobility indefinitely before PIP was even thought of. They made arrangement to use the money from DLA for say 5 or 10 years then this government started with PIP and there is no automatic transfer they have to be reassessed and can lose their entitlement and if appealing still lose the benefit they would have been entitled to before the changes and can be left with very large debts through no fault of their own.

I.E.. I purchased a larger car using motability car hire purchase to allow me to put my wife's wheelchair into the car so she can have holidays. I did not have £8000 at the time to pay for a deposit on a wheelchair accessible car on motability so we have £22000 of hire purchase through combining both our DLA mobility payments thank god we are both over 65 so this ***** government cannot at this time touch it.

Can you imagine what it must be like to lose £8000 some 2 years into a 5 year lease on that type of vehicle as some people will..

dpick

I don't understand this Government at all:

They want disabled people back to work. Many disabled people in work are helped by DLA. (Motability and being able to reduce their hours and still live a reasonable life) If you take DLA away, you're taking away a lifeline. You're taking away their chance to be able to work and afford to work a small number of hours. It's probably going to cost more in ESA / JSA, housing benefit, etc. than giving someone DLA.

A Lot more. Plus the losses in the UK car industry will be more than the gains in not paying DLA. Can't find the link but it was something like £640m (or B) to keep all in cars or £660m (or B) loses to car industry of not.

They just want us to all go away. Only to pop up for things like the Paralympics.

Yes, my only chance of ever working when I'm well enough, is having access to a reliable car, without that....

and though ATOS agreed I can't use a manual wheelchair once - who knows when you roll the dice on another assessment.

Also now there'll be the joy of your ESA being stopped due your PIP assessment.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I don't understand this Government at all:

They want disabled people back to work. Many disabled people in work are helped by DLA. (Motability and being able to reduce their hours and still live a reasonable life) If you take DLA away, you're taking away a lifeline. You're taking away their chance to be able to work and afford to work a small number of hours. It's probably going to cost more in ESA / JSA, housing benefit, etc. than giving someone DLA.

i have come to the conclusion that they hate us...there can be no other reason for taking everything away from the sick and disabled otherwise....of course they will say they are 'being fair' to whom? certainly not to any of us

Erm DLA is not payable whilst being appealed or until it is awarded so your point is.....

Well, put that way Mr freek, I dunno! So I'll grab Nystagmite's lifeline ... :razz:

Unless I've misunderstood it, they seem to be saying that if you appeal, your whole award is taken away?