Motability - a bumpy road ahead ...

RaeUK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4255 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Whilst I don't disagree with the view of many of the posts on this thread, I think it extends a bit further than just the sick and disabled. There's no financial security for anyone in the UK with the possible exception of the top 5 or 10% of people who've stashed their cash overseas in tax havens.

My occupational private pension was affected by the economic crisis, I rely on it and have no idea if the scheme will survive until the time I pop my clogs.

Thousands of people in what were fairly secure jobs bought houses at inflated prices only to lose their jobs and be forced into NMW jobs, and possibly sell their house in negative equity leaving them with outstanding debts..Only people who benefit are the banks or investors who can then snap up these properties at rock bottom prices for later.

Others forced to join the millions on JSA or worse Work Provider scams with all the sanctions and accept HB to have a roof over their head. This gives the governement too much power over too many individual.

Sounds melodratic I know , but it's as if there is some grand plan going on to return the mass population back to the days of the serfs and the lords, where if you don't toe the line you're stuffed. No money, no food, no shelter. .

... Sounds melodramatic I know , but it's as if there is some grand plan going on to return the mass population back to the days of the serfs and the lords, where if you don't toe the line you're stuffed. No money, no food, no shelter. .

Problem is, it actually doesn't sound melodramatic in the light of all the fights we face ...

I am now beginning to think that some people may not understand PIP properly with me being one of them and reading threads such as this and another one almost gave me panic attacks, but did cause me a lot of stress. Having read the point scoring system here, it seems I should still retain my higher mobility element. Care I should still retain the middle rate.

Clauses 11 and 12 are the ones that seem to relate to the mobility element. In my case the following;

Clause 10:- c. Needs either – (i) supervision, prompting or a support dog to follow a journey to an unfamiliar destination. 8 points. In this case I need supervision if travelling by train, plane or bus, but not if I am using the car. I can get there okay, but need help on arrival at destination.

Clause 11:- Cannot move up to 50 metres without using a wheelchair propelled by another person or a motorised device. 15 points. My max is about 20 -30 metres using elbow crutches as further than that the pain becomes unbearable which is why I use my mobility scooter. The worst they can give me is 10 points.

However by the same token, the invigilator may decide that as I am okay with a car, 0 points however they cannot get around “Cannot move up to 50 metres without using a wheelchair propelled by another person or a motorised device.” My X-rays will show them why as this part is in addition to my RA.

Having reviewed clauses 10 & 11 I can see why so many people are concerned as most of us have the intelligence to plan a journey, but need supervision, i.e. a carer with them. Train is probably the most difficult especially if you are travelling to an unmanned station. With a bus I would be very concerned about getting off at the correct stop especially if in unfamiliar territory. This clause seems to cover people with mental issues.

The criteria for clause 11 does not seem to take into account people with for example heart/lung conditions that allow them to walk without any aids, but with frequent stops to recover. What about those people who have lost upper limbs like arms or hands as they cannot carry anything?

Having read the mobility clauses carefully, I think I now understand them better and have come to the conclusion that perhaps I initially misunderstood the criteria, but now I feel confident that I should not have any issues. Obviously this may change once we start getting feedback from people who have under gone the “tests” for the care and mobility elements.

As someone with chronic heart disease (plus a few more mobility problems, that allow me to walk but only just) I am heaving to come to terms with the fact that I will be housebound when this comes in. Thank god for the internet; if I didn't have that things would be a lot worse. I am very thankful for the help I've had over the last couple of decades. I had been looking forward to being independent in my retirement, but now know that will not be. I would rather have had the help in my old age instead of my middle age.

I know we have not had any feedback as to what will happen, I think we can use what we do know. As with DLA the criteria for IB was not totally different to that for its replacement, but as with IB the replacement benefit will be decided by ATOS; and we all know what happens there.

I am very thankful for the help I've had over the last couple of decades. I had been looking forward to being independent in my retirement, but now know that will not be. I would rather have had the help in my old age instead of my middle age.

I know we have not had any feedback as to what will happen, I think we can use what we do know. As with DLA the criteria for IB was not totally different to that for its replacement, but as with IB the replacement benefit will be decided by ATOS; and we all know what happens there.

totally agree, with ATOS in the frame it will be the same 'lottery' as ESA has become....no lifetime awards, reassessment, and knowing this lot it will be yearly...if the introduction of ESA is anything to go by then 'thank you for the support from previous govts'

Whilst I don't disagree with the view of many of the posts on this thread, I think it extends a bit further than just the sick and disabled. There's no financial security for anyone in the UK with the possible exception of the top 5 or 10% of people who've stashed their cash overseas in tax havens.

My occupational private pension was affected by the economic crisis, I rely on it and have no idea if the scheme will survive until the time I pop my clogs.

Thousands of people in what were fairly secure jobs bought houses at inflated prices only to lose their jobs and be forced into NMW jobs, and possibly sell their house in negative equity leaving them with outstanding debts..Only people who benefit are the banks or investors who can then snap up these properties at rock bottom prices for later.

Others forced to join the millions on JSA or worse Work Provider scams with all the sanctions and accept HB to have a roof over their head. This gives the governement too much power over too many individual.

Sounds melodratic I know , but it's as if there is some grand plan going on to return the mass population back to the days of the serfs and the lords, where if you don't toe the line you're stuffed. No money, no food, no shelter. .

very well put....and don't think there is 'some grand plan' there is definitely a 'grand plan' to return to pre welfare state where we all should know our place...as the older generations such as myself die off. the younger more pliant, used to the cuts, not able to remember the uk as we knew it will be working at dead end jobs for very little money, living in high rent, substandard accomodation, what a country!!

The estimated losses to the UK car industry are far higher than the money that will be saved by getting people off DLA, to say nothing of all the job losses (both to car workers and disabled unable to get to work), and subsequent loss in tax income and increase in ESA and JSA claimants.

Therefor the reasoning behind PIP can't be save money as was first claimed, it must be to stop all us scrounging disabled **** from driving around in free cars. The WPMS is not changing, but in all honesty i can't see the scheme being able to survive on the number of cars leased by pensioners and service personnel. I know for a fact that many cars are subsidised by £1000s by the manufactures (mine was by £6000), with only a fraction of the sales they may not do this in the future. Also for the scheme to work cars need to be leased for 3 years, under PIP this won't be guaranteed to say nothing of the damage done by thousands leaving the scheme part way through their leases between 2013 and 2016.

I will though finish this post on a high note, those of us who need bigger cars and put down an Advance Payment will not lose out; our payments will be returned on a pro-rata basis.

thats probably exactly what it is.

jealous neighbours flooding MP's "its unfair my neighbour has a free car take it away."

thats probably exactly what it is.

jealous neighbours flooding MP's "its unfair my neighbour has a free car take it away."

Wish I'd known it was free, I've spent £10,000s on leasing over the years and when I finally lose my DLA HRM I'll have nothing to show for it. I could have saved all that money and bought myself a new Mid range Merc, Audi, or BMW. I would have been able to get around then, but it looks like I'll not be going anywhere soon.