Walked away from a bus ticket inspector in London

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

This is going to sound like a very silly post and I have been an absolute idiot in my actions and completely regret this now.

Basically I have a monthly travel rail travel card and I thought this allowed me onto the busses too, as I pay so much for it a month. I know I have to use my Oyster on the underground though, but don't often travel on the underground. I was travelling on the bus one morning to work, when a ticket inspector asked for my ticket, I showed my monthly pass and ID card. Apparently this is not valid on the busses, we came to my stop and both got off.

I was completely flustered and panicking, not ever being in this situation before. I very stupidly gave my correct name, but a pervious address (not sure I got the postcode right though) and for some stupid reason I also gave the wrong DOB. They then wanted to verify it by calling a friend or family member and I said there was no one to call, again I was just not thinking straight and panicked, I then just walked away, no idea why I did this and really regret it. The ticket inspector still had hold of my new monthly ticket with my name on and ID number, which I just completely forgot that they had hold of. I am now so worried about what will happen, will they write to me at the address I gave or will they look up my new address on the system that my monthly card is allocated to?

I completely understand that I have acted in a very stupid way and I want to make it right or at least have the opportunity to apologise and pay a fine or admin costs? But I have no idea if I wil be contacted and if so at which address, I am worried they will write to the wrong address and I may nerve know about it. I know I have got myself into a complete mess, but what do I do now? Should I call the transport inspectors and talk to them about what happened?

Any advice is welcome, I know I am in the wrong, just one silly decision lead to another and I just panicked, as I had just started a new job and was so worried about being late.

Thanks for reading.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

Oh dear, you have got into a bit of a mess, haven't you? I'm not one of the experts on transport problems, but I expect the guys will be along later.

From what I've read here, I don't think the problem will go away and you may well be found, so you need the guys to help you unravel what's happened and deal with it. Generally, ringing the transport company early on isn't recommended, but I can see that if they can't find you, it could lead to more problems.

Please bear with us until the experts are able to get here.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Never heard of this before but walking away leaving your season ticket?! Have you made contact with someone to try and get it back? I assume you need it for work etc on a daily basis

Like HB has said, this probably isn't going to go away and the fact that you walked off won't go in your favour. Hopefully some of the other guys in the right dept will be along later today and have a look and give their opinions

Hi All,

This is going to sound like a very silly post and I have been an absolute idiot in my actions and completely regret this now.

Basically I have a monthly travel rail travel card and I thought this allowed me onto the busses too, as I pay so much for it a month. I know I have to use my Oyster on the underground though, but don't often travel on the underground. I was travelling on the bus one morning to work, when a ticket inspector asked for my ticket, I showed my monthly pass and ID card. Apparently this is not valid on the busses, we came to my stop and both got off.

I was completely flustered and panicking, not ever being in this situation before. I very stupidly gave my correct name, but a pervious address (not sure I got the postcode right though) and for some stupid reason I also gave the wrong DOB. They then wanted to verify it by calling a friend or family member and I said there was no one to call, again I was just not thinking straight and panicked, I then just walked away, no idea why I did this and really regret it. The ticket inspector still had hold of my new monthly ticket with my name on and ID number, which I just completely forgot that they had hold of. I am now so worried about what will happen, will they write to me at the address I gave or will they look up my new address on the system that my monthly card is allocated to?

I completely understand that I have acted in a very stupid way and I want to make it right or at least have the opportunity to apologise and pay a fine or admin costs? But I have no idea if I wil be contacted and if so at which address, I am worried they will write to the wrong address and I may nerve know about it. I know I have got myself into a complete mess, but what do I do now? Should I call the transport inspectors and talk to them about what happened?

Any advice is welcome, I know I am in the wrong, just one silly decision lead to another and I just panicked, as I had just started a new job and was so worried about being late.

Thanks for reading.

Sadly, your actions have made this much more serious for you than it might otherwise have been. Believe it or not, this kind of thing isn't all that uncommon. Frequently a person who is flustered by beibng caught out does something wholly irrational in looking for an 'escape route', not necessarily trying to avoid the fare, but trying to avoid the embarassment of being questioned about it.

This is one of the very rare occasions when I think you can help yourself by contacting London Buses/ TfL Bus prosecution unit and 'coming clean' pretty quickly. Having given your correct name it will be pretty easy to link you to the correct address at which your current pass is registered.

I would give them a call and ask for help in contacting the correct person within the establishment to receive your letter. Once you have done so you should know who to address the letter to and you should write a truthful explanation of your actions and ask the company to consider not continuing to prosecution, but perhaps they might consider an alternative disposal.

Edited by Old-CodJA

Just to advise on the legislation involved here:

Fare evasion in contravention of the Public Passengers Vehicles Act 1981 and Section 7(2) Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations 1990.

As you gave a false address, a further offence is committed contrary to Section 8(1) Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations 1990.

I believe the maximum penalty is £500 per offence on conviction. You have committed TWO separate offences, therefore maximum penalty is £1000 if/when you attend court.

Edited by firstclassx

Just to advise on the legislation involved here:

Fare evasion in contravention of the Public Passengers Vehicles Act 1981 and Section 7(2) Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations 1990.

As you gave a false address, a further offence is committed contrary to Section 8(1) Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations 1990.

I believe the maximum penalty is £500 per offence on conviction. You have committed TWO separate offences, therefore maximum penalty is £1000 if/when you attend court.

Hello firstclassx. Do you really think it would be that bad? I know I'm not from the industry, but I don't remember anyone coming back here and saying they'd been fined £1,000.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello firstclassx. Do you really think it would be that bad? I know I'm not from the industry, but I don't remember anyone coming back here and saying they'd been fined £1,000.

My best, HB

Hi HB,

The penalties quoted by firstclassx are the correct maximum penalty available to Magistrates on conviction, but, and it's a big BUT, the Magistrates are also constrained by sentencing guidelines, which provide very specific level of fine guidance for them to follow.

They have a 'cross reference chart', which defines the entry rate for various levels of offence as a starting point. Obviously the lowest level relates to the least serious offence and fine rate, up to the fine entry level for the most serious offences.

In each case the Magistrates have a little discretionary leeway to reflect any early guilty plea and any expression of remorse, which may result in a reduction of fine from the entry level and this set against the ability to increase the fine a little reflecting any aggravating factors noted in proving the case.

As an example, the maximum fine on conviction of a first offence of intent to avoid a fare (Reg. of Railways Act [1889]) will be £1000 reduced to £400 (the average weekly wage) reduced to £ 280 if an early guilty plea is received. If the offender does not enter a plea and was found to be obstructive, or had a previous similar conviction, the fine may be increased to around £535 as a usual response and proportionally more if there are multiple aggravating factors.

Other factors that will be taken into consideration are financial circumstances and general culpability.

It is incredibly rare for anyone to face a maximum fine for a first offence.

Edited by Old-CodJA