Manpower/reed/Hayes - my various employment woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Although I do understand where everyone is coming from in thinking that you should just be able to change advisers as I mentioned above there is a process that has to be followed.

Where as there used to be far more discretion that an adviser could use since the con-dems started the whole claiming JSA has changed and that discretion has been removed and the process has to be followed wether anyone likes it or not (adviser and customer alike).

The process has been put in place for both customer and adviser alike as believe it not not sometimes an adviser will got to their manager and request that a customer is removed from the client list and placed with another adviser.

The process may not be popular but it is there and should be followed to ensure that things run as smoothly as possible.

Somebody did post earlier about recording the interview, that is something that can be done but through the offical channels, this is to ensure that no data protection is broken by inadvertently recording another customers interview or job search review.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi layla

I would go as far as to say that is probably a management stategy that particular Job Centre have set up, that particular Advisor probably mis-treats individuals in that particular group, and unforetunately you fall into that group, if you like 'they are targetting you' with that treament. I'm not sure how they formulate the belonging of the group. I would complain to, see if they can look into the matter:-

http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/make-a-complaint

http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/improving-public-service/reports-and-consultations/reports/parliamentary/small-mistakes,-big-consequences/15

Somebody did post earlier about recording the interview, that is something that can be done but through the offical channels, this is to ensure that no data protection is broken by inadvertently recording another customers interview or job search review.

Yes of course you shouldn't record anything to do with any other customers, that would be wrong. But in the original post, layla said that their advisor is in a room with no other advisors around, contributing to her problem of proving what the advisor said.

I don't know about other offices, but in my local Jobcentre, there are signs saying that video and audio recording is in operation... I see no issue with making your own copy for your own use.

Record the interview/appointment only after telling the advisor that you are going to, otherwise dont as it could lead to all sorts of other problems. If the advisor refuses speak to the JC manager and say that you would like someone else in the room, either a friend or the manager her/himself. just say that you dont like being in a room with only one other person as you dont feel comfortable. it might work

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Although I do understand where everyone is coming from in thinking that you should just be able to change advisers as I mentioned above there is a process that has to be followed.

Where as there used to be far more discretion that an adviser could use since the con-dems started the whole claiming JSA has changed and that discretion has been removed and the process has to be followed wether anyone likes it or not (adviser and customer alike).

The process has been put in place for both customer and adviser alike as believe it not not sometimes an adviser will got to their manager and request that a customer is removed from the client list and placed with another adviser.

The process may not be popular but it is there and should be followed to ensure that things run as smoothly as possible.

One has the right to record ones conversations as a memory aid :) And the OP has mentioned that they always see this advisor in a room with just the two of them. I am not sure the DPA etc is actually clear on recording ones on dealings/business in "public" as it were - I suspect accidently picking up others as a by product is "ok" it would be intentionally recording/focussing on other customers where the problem starts.

I have to say, the "Bonding" session sounds to me like nothing but a handy tool for the Manager's benefit, and nobody elses - ie, they turn up to the session knowing full well the Advisor will "behave" themselves and can then say "I cannot see any problem" An advisor is hardly going to start calling the OP a "Scruffy Thicko" in front of their manager, so the Bonding thing really is a waste of time, from my point of view.

If the bonding session "must" be attended then attend, and covert record it, and your next session with the advisor. That would also be brilliant ammo.

From the OP, it sounds like the Manager is worried about the complaint being escalated outside of her control and influence, so its entirely possible that meeting her and laying it down firmly and politely that the OP feels they have no choice but to go further, which again, may kickstart the Manager into controlling the Advisor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I gave in a written complaint to the job centre a week before my sign on date to request a change of advisor, they ignored that and i had to go see the advisor that is treated me badly, i then to ask what had happened to my complaint, they said it was being looked at and then I got a phone call from the manager who tried to blame me for everything and she took sides with the advisor (which was natural since she dont want to be looked at being a bad manager, if this complaint escalates further, so she is trying to protect her back)

i will be taking my mobile phone and recording from now on and build up evidence against the advisor, which the manager then can no matter how hard she tried to blame me can't dispute

Hi Layla,

You might want to have a read of the Jobcentre Plus Service Standards booklet.

You can download it from the DWP website as a PDF -> http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dwp1018.pdf

It tells you how you can expect to be treated by Jobcentre staff (and reading through your post, your advisor appears to be missing the mark quite badly on most of the points!)

It also explains how to escalate your complaint to someone higher up outside your actual Jobcentre office if you are not satisfied with how they handled your complaint.

I would start with a written complaint to the manager of the Jobcentre where you sign on, and ask for their response in writing.

If you are not satisfied, or still don't think they are taking you seriously, follow the points on how to escalate your complaint.

A friend of mine had similar problems with her advisor once, and she requested a change of advisor and it happened, so it is possible.

On a side note, if you have a mobile phone, and it has a sound recorder, and you accidentally left it on while meeting with the advisor, then that would be a real kick up the you-know-what for the manager if they tried to refute your allegations again :wink:

i have given my complaint in which they have ignored, do i follow it up with SAR and for what purpose will this be for?

i'm not being treated with dignity and respect and its wrong for this particular advisor to do this

Formal later of complaint to Benefit Manager, followed by a SAR request (free from social security). You have the right to be treated with dignity and respect. If what you say is correct with nothing missing then I'd say let the complaint be escalated.

o.k so follow official procedure so i have a paper trail that makes sense

the manager wants someone else to be sat next to the advisor and see how he treats me when i sign on next, i told them that is not acceptable as the advisor will know well before he is being watched and will change his behaviour towards me

I am not a personal adviser but do work on the Customer Service side of the business.

As you feel that you have an issue with your adviser you have done exactly the right thing by requesting to change to a different adviser, The Adviser Manager will have discussed this with you current adviser to try to establish what the problem is, the next action is as they have discussed already with you is to have a meeting with the 3 of you present (believe me if the the Manager there is like ours then they will no immediately of the adviser is acting any different/puttingon an act), after that meeting you will have an opportunity to discuss further with the adviser manager if you still want to remain with adviser or request to an alternative adviser, the only problem that I could see is that if you have previous requested to change advisers and this was agreed then you could be refused and remain with the current adviser until you eith find work, close the claim for any other reason or move to work programme.

If you are still unhappy after you have been through the offical channels then you can escalate to the office manager but they will only act if the procedures have been followed and if after that you still are unhappy and nothing has changed then you can escalate to the district office manager but again they will only act if the official procedures have been followed.

you are 100% correct the Manager is worried about the complaint being escalated outside of her control and influence and has tried to blame me and then have someone watch the advisor when i sign on next, she is worried this will go further and everything will fall on her for allowing the advsior to get away with this

One has the right to record ones conversations as a memory aid :) And the OP has mentioned that they always see this advisor in a room with just the two of them. I am not sure the DPA etc is actually clear on recording ones on dealings/business in "public" as it were - I suspect accidently picking up others as a by product is "ok" it would be intentionally recording/focussing on other customers where the problem starts.

I have to say, the "Bonding" session sounds to me like nothing but a handy tool for the Manager's benefit, and nobody elses - ie, they turn up to the session knowing full well the Advisor will "behave" themselves and can then say "I cannot see any problem" An advisor is hardly going to start calling the OP a "Scruffy Thicko" in front of their manager, so the Bonding thing really is a waste of time, from my point of view.

If the bonding session "must" be attended then attend, and covert record it, and your next session with the advisor. That would also be brilliant ammo.

From the OP, it sounds like the Manager is worried about the complaint being escalated outside of her control and influence, so its entirely possible that meeting her and laying it down firmly and politely that the OP feels they have no choice but to go further, which again, may kickstart the Manager into controlling the Advisor.

my take is if the manager is backing up the advisor then the advisor is probably acting that way on the manager's agreement. Of course for you to prove such a thing would be nigh on impossible so you cant make such an accusation but thats just my point of view. Because normally if a mannager is worried about it going above their head then they would take action such as eg. changing the advisor which would take care of your compplaint.

my take is if the manager is backing up the advisor then the advisor is probably acting that way on the manager's agreement. Of course for you to prove such a thing would be nigh on impossible so you cant make such an accusation but thats just my point of view. Because normally if a mannager is worried about it going above their head then they would take action such as eg. changing the advisor which would take care of your compplaint.

I kinda got that impression too, because the description of this adviser's behaviour puts it so far outside the limits of what's acceptable that it's hard to see that any manager wouldn't take action when it came to their attention. I mean, this isn't just a case of an adviser who's a bit gruff, or who's had a bad day and is grumpy. Of course, maybe the manager simply can't believe anyone on their team would act this way, that's also possible.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• 1 month later...

I am employed with manpower for the past 14 weeks and working at a bank on a temp position which is due to end within 2 months...............cut a long story short I have been offered a better temp position elsewhere and have decided to take it.

HOWEVER Manpower want and insist on 7 days notice - I cant give 7 days notice,, because I was offered the new job today which I have accepted which starts next monday

I have built up 6 days accrued holidays which equals £325

Manpower say in their contract that if I don't give 7 days notice to leave/resign then I LOSE ALL MY HOLIDAY PAY accrued which is well over a weeks wages worth £325 and they will only give me £10!

Manpower state they can decide to only pay me £10 holiday pay (for 6 days holidays accrued) if i dont give 7 days notice, which I cant because I start the new job on 21st and was offered the new job 2, so its impossible

if I tell Manpower I have found a new job they may well sack me, so I automatically lose my holiday pay that way as well

1. Can Manpower legally ask for 7 days notice? (i found my new job today which i start next week) - so 7 days notice is not possible, whatever way you look at it

2. Should Manpower refuse to pay me my 6 days holidays accrued pay of £325 and only pay me £10 instead for failing to provide 7 days notice, then what action can I take to get my 6 days holiday pay owrth £325 back?

3. Should I tell my team leader I have found a new job, what if he tells Manpower or the department manager, then what?

What do I put in my resignation letter that covers me and explains why the 7 days is not possible or do I just need a simple resignation letter saying i will leave on xyz date?

Please help asap, really worried

Edited by Purpleflowers 2

Hello there.

With an employer that isn't an agency, I would say one week's notice [or more] could be normal.

Did you sign something when you joined Manpower and if you did, what does it say about leaving please?

Hopefully the guys will be along to tell you if you can offset your holiday.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I signed a contract with Manpower when I signed up with them, it says

"you are required to give not less than 1 weeks notice after you have completed 1 month's continuous service and the company will give you statuary notice as set out in the handbook"

I can't do this, i start the job next week, I'm on a temo contract with Manpower they should realise temp tend to move often and this 7 days clause is just a way for them to cut down the holidays accrued pay to only £10, knowing full well for example a person could go for interview today, be offered a job to start next monday - 7 days notice is impossible, so what can be done to counter this in terms of legal argument to get back the holiday pay should Manpower say I forfeited my side of the contract by not giving 7 days notice - so Manpower can then active the "£10 only holiday" pay clause for all holidays accrued and say i broke my side of the contract, by not giving 7 days notice

Hello there.

With an employer that isn't an agency, I would say one week's notice [or more] could be normal.

Did you sign something when you joined Manpower and if you did, what does it say about leaving please?

Hopefully the guys will be along to tell you if you can offset your holiday.

My best, HB

I signed a contract with Manpower when I signed up with them, it says

"you are required to give not less than 1 weeks notice after you have completed 1 month's continuous service and the company will give you statuary notice as set out in the handbook"

I can't do this, i start the job next week, I'm on a temo contract with Manpower they should realise temp tend to move often and this 7 days clause is just a way for them to cut down the holidays accrued pay to only £10, knowing full well for example a person could go for interview today, be offered a job to start next monday - 7 days notice is impossible, so what can be done to counter this in terms of legal argument to get back the holiday pay should Manpower say I forfeited my side of the contract by not giving 7 days notice - so Manpower can then active the "£10 only holiday" pay clause for all holidays accrued and say i broke my side of the contract, by not giving 7 days notice

Thank you for that.

Others here know more than I do, but I think you could have a problem if you signed a contract saying you would give 7 days' notice. This would have worked the other way too, had they decided to let you go.

I wonder if they could argue that you knew you had to give a week's notice and should have told your new employer. Whenever I've had interviews, I've always told the prospective employer how much notice I had to give.

Is there a calculation that tells you how they have ended up with the £10 figure?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The start date of the job is next week, so i took it, if i told the new employer i had to give 7 days notice they would give the job to someone else, they wanted someone who could start next week

The £10 figure is what Manpower pay you if you leave them and work for another employer without giving 7 days notice - they will cancell all your holidays accrued and just pay you a flat £10, even if you have 2 weeks holidays accrued

Thank you for that.

Others here know more than I do, but I think you could have a problem if you signed a contract saying you would give 7 days' notice. This would have worked the other way too, had they decided to let you go.

I wonder if they could argue that you knew you had to give a week's notice and should have told your new employer. Whenever I've had interviews, I've always told the prospective employer how much notice I had to give.

Is there a calculation that tells you how they have ended up with the £10 figure?

HB

If I start the new job next week, manpower will cancel my holidays accrued - so i lose my holiday pay which is £325 a weeks pay

They will pay £10 flat because they will argue i never gave 7 days notice and also cancel my 6 days holidays accrued, can they legally do this?

Surely they must know that people can be offered jobs elswhere which start within 7 days - which would mean giving the 7 days notice period which Manpower have in their contract, impossible, i think Manpower are fully aware of this and have put this 7 day notice required on purpose - they and the employer can fire people whenever they want without giving the employee 7 days notice, so why can't Manpower and the employer understand that employee's aresometimes stuck in a catch 22 situation and can't give 7 days notice if they are offered and accept a new job under the 7 day period

1 weeks notice is the norm for any job temp or perm with under 1 years service. I dont think they can withold your holiday pay though

Thats what it sounds like to me as well HB, still think its only fair to give notice regardless of contract, it looks better and it does work both ways. I really dont think you can leave without notice and still expect to get holiday pay, think of it as using your holiday to start a new job.

URGENT.............

I need to get a resignation letter sent in 1st thing Monday morning, how does this sound

"xyz date

To Manpower

Please accept this as my resignation, effective immediately. I regret the inconvenience it will cause, but circumstances have left me no choice. If problems arise you may give me a call at 123456 and I’ll do my best to help.

Sincerely"

Is this good and direct to the point and knocks out the 7 day notice clause that manpower asked for?

They have to pay your wages but really dont know about the holiday pay. i still think that 7 days notice is a reasonable clause though and it would seem from your post that you havent even given manpower any notice, if you knew you had the job last Monday or Tuesday why didnt you hand your notice in right away?, it may not have been 7 days but it would have been better than nothing. If you want employers to play fair with you then I think you should play fair with them, it now seems that you are just leaving them in the lurch, whereas they could have spent a couple of days at least looking for someone to take ypour place.