Letting agency dilema - restricted ventilation and mould

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice / guidance about the flat I have moved into, it is a basement flat which I moved into 3 weeks ago and is managed for the landlord by an agency.

I was aware before moving in that the property has some issues with damp caused by the rendering on the outside being damaged, the walls not being damp proofed and the front room windows being sealed shut for security.

Before signing the contract I was told these issues including new front door and double glazing had been agreed and would be happening. Upon moving in it was clear that no one had been in the property between the tenants leaving and me moving in, there was a lot of black mould on the walls which I photographed before cleaning off.

I obviously made the agency aware who said they would send someone round to do the "damp work". This just turned out to be a contractor coming round and painting over the walls with anti-mould paint. Our biggest issue is that we can't ventilate the rooms because the windows are completely sealed, we are running a de-humidifier pretty much all day and it is filling up quickly.

I have asked the agency on many occasions for a date when the windows will be done but they keep skirting around the question.

As I have since found wet rot in the bathroom and myself and my girlfriend have been feeling ill I have booked an appointment for environmental health to come round and look at the flat.

The biggest issue is the windows for sure, is restricting ventilation against any legislation at all?

Any advice on how to deal with agency would be appreciated, this is my first experience on them.

Well, not used this before, but suggest you tell them that repairs etc. come under the covenant of Quiet Enjoyment and NOT doing repairs etc. contrveens this covenant in tne Landlord and Tenant Act. and the longer they prevaricate about not doing it is considered harassement under the Prevention of Eviction Act, which is a criminal offence.

by the way it is the LL that is resonsable, not the Agent so suggest you speak to him direct.