TMobile Notice Period Charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've asked this elsewhere, but it may be more appropriate here.

I began a 30-day rolling contract in January after my previous 18 month contract came to an end. The monthly contract was for roughly £13pcm.

On the 28th of June I ported my number to GiffGaff. I received my final bill a couple of days ago that stated I owed them ~£20. A Notice Period Charge of £24.xx and a rebate of £4 for what I assume was ending my contract part-way through the month.

I sent TMobile an email refuting the charge, and received the following back (the actual mail was more lengthy, this is the meat):

I've checked your account and can see that you have cancelled your contract by porting out your number on 28 June 2012.

When you port out in either the last 30 days of your contract or outside of commitment, we apply a "notice period charge" to your final bill to ensure you always pay for the next 30 days. Your terms and conditions say that you must always give us 30 days' notice to cancel your contract. That applies whether you are in a commitment, or not. For this reason, you're charged notice period charge on your final bill.

If you still like to dispute this charges, please call us and speak to our Billing Team and they'll assist you further.

Does anyone know what is meant by the 'to ensure you always pay for the next 30 days' nonsense?

When I requested the PAC, at no point was I told that I would be charged for using the PAC within 30 days.

I know that it's 'only £20', but it's the principle of the matter. The monthly contract was for only £13, and you can't say in all seriousness that clicking a few buttons on the computer leads to administrative costs of £24.

Am I right to challenge this charge? I've cancelled my direct debit so there can be no 'oops, we took the money anyway!' mistakes. What are the implications of fighting this?

Thanks to everyone who reads this.

They appear to be chancing it.

If you are on a 30 day rolling contract, then you are required to give 30 days notice.

So if you port out after telling them you are leaving (which say takes 3 days to receive and port), then you would be due to pay 90% of your normal monthly charge (and perhaps without VAT, as you are paying to end a contract and not for a service that attracts VAT).

Is there anything in the T&C mentioning other charges?

Also, don't call them, unless you can do it by email. Years ago I called T-mobile to find how to end a contract, and they told me it could be ended there on the phone, but with 30 days notice. So I said I wished to cancel and they issued a cancellation reference number. However, at the end of the month's notice they tried to claim they would never have said that as all cancellations had to be in writing and were cocky enough to say my word against theirs. I had a Seimens SL45i and had it configured to tape calls to its massive 128MB memory card, and when they were told this it was cancelled on the date originally agreed.

I also remember the amount I paid for the last month was about £12 too much on a £24 per month contract. But I never chased it.

Apart from the penalties for ending your contract within the minimum term, it only states: "You will be responsible for all Charges up to and including the date that this Agreement terminates."

As I transferred my PAC immediately after receiving it, surely it could be argued that I haven't incurred any charges?

There will be a different condition that says that you have to give a months notice.

Are you saying that they charged more for this final period than they have for previous months?

There will be a different condition that says that you have to give a months notice.

Are you saying that they charged more for this final period than they have for previous months?

Nearly double what I usually pay.

Well worth a written complaint

I would try to resolve this in the time that they have provided for clearing the account. (You don't want them messing your credit reference)

Check that it's not an advance payment request plus the normal bill for last month. Also check if you have been paying in advance for line rental ...

If you can record calls, it might be worth telephoning for an explanation - if it's still free

surely you dont owe money, as you pay a month in advance?

IE: if you pay 15th april, you are paying for 15th april to 14th may... so if you port on 18th of april, you perhaps owe them 3-4 days contract fees... check your bills... ;)

line rental in advance calls in arrears is the standard way.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

line rental in advance calls in arrears is the standard way.

you know, i didnt think about "calls"...

are you sure you didnt go over your minutes in the 3 days use you had? :p