Caught using someone else's Freedom pass, convicted - leave to appeal granted

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm on my holidays I am a student so just short term jobs, one of which was working with children and the criminal record wasn't an issue.

Hello again Billy.

I think you might need to be careful with this one, as I understand an advanced CRB might show up this sort of problem. I could be wrong of course, but the conviction is fairly new and might show up later.

Also, I rate the CAB highly, but they're generalists and may well refer you to a solicitor.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello again Billy.

I think you might need to be careful with this one, as I understand an advanced CRB might show up this sort of problem. I could be wrong of course, but the conviction is fairly new and might show up later.

Also, I rate the CAB highly, but they're generalists and may well refer you to a solicitor.

HB

A 5.3 RRA conviction will show on both a basic and enhanced CRB check.

I'd hope that an employer would 'risk assess', and if the post was "low-risk" (not left unsupervised with children, not handling lots of cash), that the conviction wouldn't be an issue even if the employer became aware.

After all, it's not a crime of violence, or against an individual (rather against the individuals who pay the taxes to fund the Freedom Passes), and it doesn't exactly make billy like Al Capone, the Krays or Fred West!.

Thank you BazzaS, I don't know much about CRB checks but thought it worth mentioning.

Billy, you could also ask the employment guys here about CRBs, it's asked regularly. But if I can, I'll post a recent thread by someone from this forum who asked about CRB and their job.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you BazzaS, I don't know much about CRB checks but thought it worth mentioning.

Billy, you could also ask the employment guys here about CRBs, it's asked regularly. But if I can, I'll post a recent thread by someone from this forum who asked about CRB and their job.

HB

Thanks I will do.

I told the employers about the conviction and they sort of laughed it off.

So hopefully people won't take it too seriously.

Thanks I will do.

I told the employers about the conviction and they sort of laughed it off.

So hopefully people won't take it too seriously.

Hopefully they won't consider it an impediment for a "low risk" Summer job.

It may well be a different kettle of fish for a permanent job, especially if that job requires e.g. an Enhanced CRB disclosure.

Just some interesting statistics I found on magistrate appeals dealt with by the crown court

If anyone is interested

What are the stats for "hopeless appeal against conviction after a guilty plea" and the same coupled with "appeal against sentence, poorly prepared"?

Hello Billy.

I don't think it tells you what type of case they were, does it?

HB

Na they were the cases that were appeals from magistrates court that were heard at crown court

Which is what I am doing

Na they were the cases that were appeals from magistrates court that were heard at crown court

Which is what I am doing

Do you think you'll be 40% successful?

A disease may have a 99% survival rate. This is no reassurance to the family of the 1 in 100 who die from it. Statistics are useful to inform of the probabilities, not the outcome for the individual.

Do you think you'll be 40% successful?

A disease may have a 99% survival rate. This is no reassurance to the family of the 1 in 100 who die from it. Statistics are useful to inform of the probabilities, not the outcome for the individual.

well closer to 50% as some of the cases are sent back to the magistrates court

But yeah I see your point

Any chance I can get the case adjourned or something, as I am still getting advice ans sorting out a lawyer and I don't think a week is enough time to get a lawyer

I don't think the Court has to take into account your not engaging a solicitor earlier. You can ask but they may well say "tough" : it's not like you hadn't had the option previously!

You had the choice of hiring a solicitor before Magistrates Court, after your conviction to advise you on if to appeal, and even (once you'd decided to appeal) to help you formulate your appeal.

I've previously pointed out that I think you are stupid for hurling money at an appeal without a solicitor's help and others have queried the utility of your "barrister friend"'s advice.

Will your "barrister friend" be appearing for you?.

If not, do you feel your woes are anyone's fault rather than your own?.

You've roundly ignored advice from CAG before, or only taken it too late ... Why should this time be any different & given that : are you expecting a miracle?

Ok will try call them up and see what they say.

My barrister mate won't be appearing for me since he doesn't think he could win me the case (or that there is even a case), and he specializes in a completely different thing.

I have some information things on the crown court and there is a lot about legal aid, is that something I could get?

My barrister mate won't be appearing for me since he doesn't think he could win me the case (or that there is even a case)

Iambilly,

I think this part of your previous post is the most pertinent thing I've read and you should take serious heed of your 'friends' reasons for not representing you.

Feebee_71

Iambilly,

I think this part of your previous post is the most pertinent thing I've read and you should take serious heed of your 'friends' reasons for not representing you.

Feebee_71

I agree but he also said to get some advice from someone more experienced in this matter as you should try everything before giving up

Ok will try call them up and see what they say.

My barrister mate won't be appearing for me since he doesn't think he could win me the case (or that there is even a case), and he specializes in a completely different thing.

I have some information things on the crown court and there is a lot about legal aid, is that something I could get?

You've previously said something along the lines of "money no object", and now (with 8 days to go) you are asking about 'legal aid'.

Not for the first time : It is a bit late in the day. You might have pursued this earlier, were you to have sought legal advice from a solicitor.

Are you googling for random legal terms to post about?

Have your circumstances suddenly changed?

Why do you suddenly want a solicitor now, now that you've accepted it is hopeless? And why "on the cheap" if you've previously posted about you being wealthy enough you don't need to work.

This fits your pattern : changing story all the time.

How do you expect to get valid advice if you keep moving the goalposts?

Personally, after all your repeated choices to ignore good advice, I hope the court hammers you for costs (some if you abandon your appeal, masses if you pursue it, to teach you the lesson you haven't learnt so far) and you can then post here : others might then take heed of the good advice you've had, which you have ignored.

Harsh? Possibly- but even if it is harsh, I believe it is fair comment.

Yeah but if I can get help paying for it why shouldn't I?

I will try find out some more about it tomorrow when I visit my citizens advice bureau.

Do you pass the initial & full means tests?

Will you pass the "interest of Justice" test?

Will you be able to get the Court to agree these, and issue the relevant certificate in time?

If you pass the tests and follow the process you should be able to claim.

If you don't pass the relevant tests or can't follow the process (or can't follow it in time) : that'd be "why shouldn't you".

Same rules and process as anyone else. No special dispensation because you realise with 8 days to go you've gone about it wrong, or because you are a snob, "not a Chav!", or because you are billy or : rich man, poor man, beggarman .........

So, are you as wealthy as you claimed (in which case you won't be eligible on means test grounds)?

Or were you (again) "just saying it, even though it isn't true" "just to see what the answer would be were it true"

It has been said previously on this thread : Liars need good memories or the fibs become apparent.

Edited by BazzaS

I will call them up later today. Hopefully will pass.

Not sure about the interests of justice part.

Also what does legal aid actually pay for?

You've chosen to avoid the question about if you've been caught in (another!) fib ..........

I will call them up later today. Hopefully will pass.

Not sure about the interests of justice part.

Also what does legal aid actually pay for?

n.b. "The interest of Justice" is not a synonym for "the interests of iambilly"

What question? I will try to get legal aid. If I can great, if not I guess I will have to pay

The question was how you could pass the initial and full means tests if you were so wealthy you didn't have to work.

You do remember stating that, don't you?

Were you fibbing?