Can i do the driver awareness course more than once?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3607 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just got a ticket for doing 48mph in a 40mph zone. I got booked about 3-4 years ago and did the driver awareness course then, but I think things have changed a little since.

Does anyone know if I would be eligible to to it again?

Cheers.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

With respect Fred, why? Have you forgotten what they told you on the last course?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

With respect Fred, why? Have you forgotten what they told you on the last course?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I didn't come here to be judged. Do you know the answer to the question?

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

Hi there, I went one this course last week and was told that once 3 years have expired from the date of the offence then you will be offered the course again. So if it has been 3 years since the last offense for which you went on the course previously then you should be offered the course again.

I didn't come here to be judged. Do you know the answer to the question?

Yes Fred, as above.

Please Note

Hi there, I went one this course last week and was told that once 3 years have expired from the date of the offence then you will be offered the course again. So if it has been 3 years since the last offense for which you went on the course previously then you should be offered the course again.

Thanks for that. I've since found the answer out from the Dorset Police website. I think it's just less than 3 years, so I'll have to dig out the paperwork.

Regards.

Fred

Thank you.

For forces in the national scheme it's 3 years, measured from the dates of the offences. Forces outside the national scheme can apply their own criteria, but I think the 3 year part is pretty much universal.

Interestingly, a speed awareness course offered by any force in the national scheme means you can't do one in any other national scheme force for 3 years. But Dorset aren't in the national scheme so will only use their own records. This means that you can actually do two courses in a three year period as long as one is for an offence in Dorset and the other was somewhere else.

For forces in the national scheme it's 3 years, measured from the dates of the offences. Forces outside the national scheme can apply their own criteria, but I think the 3 year part is pretty much universal.

Interestingly, a speed awareness course offered by any force in the national scheme means you can't do one in any other national scheme force for 3 years. But Dorset aren't in the national scheme so will only use their own records. This means that you can actually do two courses in a three year period as long as one is for an offence in Dorset and the other was somewhere else.

Now that really is useful, Aretnpa, because the other offence was in Somerset. I might be eligible for the one in Dorset then. It's a bit of a pain, because it's for a whole day and costs £105, but it's probably better than getting 3 points on my licence. I think I'll apply. All I then have to do is turn up and try to stay awake all day.

Cheers.

Regards.

Fred

I don't think you can "apply" to do the course, it must be "offered" to you by the police.

They've put in on the form as an option should I be eligible. I'll just see what happens.

• 2 months later...

Update. Because this happened in Dorset, I was offered and accepted a Driver Awareness Course which I completed a few weeks ago. I've still got a clean licences.

Regards.

Fred

Crickey Fred £105! that's expensive... when I did mine a couple of years ago it was £69 (Nottinghamshire)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Crickey Fred £105! that's expensive... when I did mine a couple of years ago it was £69 (Nottinghamshire)

It is a bit dear. I also did one in Somerset about 3 years ago and it was £60 - the same as the fine would have been. In Dorset, you can transgress every 12 months though!

It is a bit dear. I also did one in Somerset about 3 years ago and it was £60 - the same as the fine would have been. In Dorset, you can transgress every 12 months though!

With Dorset charging 75% more than other Forces, a cynic might think their allowing you do attend after a year instead of 3 years could be income inspired - rather like most think camera locations are positioned for a greater income than a greater contribution to safety in that immediate location.

• 1 month later...

Hi Fred

Good to hear you still have a clean licence. Can you confirm you can take another of these Dorset courses after 12 months? I was sure at the end of my previous course they mentioned 2 years, but could easily have got this wrong. As you can guess I have another ticket that is between 12 and 24 months since the first course! Many thanks

Hi Fred

Good to hear you still have a clean licence. Can you confirm you can take another of these Dorset courses after 12 months? I was sure at the end of my previous course they mentioned 2 years, but could easily have got this wrong. As you can guess I have another ticket that is between 12 and 24 months since the first course! Many thanks

Hi Govester, they definitely told me on the course that you could do another one after 12 months has elapsed, but this is Dorset and their scheme is different than most. I think a large number of forces (i.e. Somerset where I got my first ticket), are in a scheme together where if you get caught in any of those areas within 3 years you would have to take the points.

The other thing to bear in mind is that in Dorset, they only consider their own records, but I don't know how this would work if you already had points on your licence.

Regards.

Fred

I did a course recently and was told three years.

If you get caught in a different area you can sometimes get offered a course irrespective of the time lapse.

All depends on the area and if they're wanting the money.

More profit in courses than fixed penalties, that's why some forces offer courses up to 40 in a 30

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

• 1 year later...

I’ve got a great idea for a computer driving game.

Driving doing lots of errands for the boss and for the wife, while there are loads of speeds cameras about.

The more you go up through the levels in the game, the more the boss and the wife wants from you and the more speed camera’s appear on the road.

The game is over when you have either 12 points on your licence or you crash the car or the boss fires you or the wife divorces you!

No shortage of ideas for the game title!

All I then have to do is turn up and try to stay awake all day.

Surely you will be fine, as the course is thought provoking and interactive isn't it. I've heard you can fail it if you don't interact through the course if the day?! Did you drop off at the last one?