Tax credits review letter... their fault and mine!

annoyedandupset
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4413 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

Thanks firstly to all the previous posters, I already feel a lot more reassured after reading some of your experiences with tax credits review team.

I received a review letter stating why I continued to claim as a single person when my partner was living here 2011-12. It has his name.

He moved in last July... we rang up in January (late I know) to let them know and they sent a letter out that we completed and returned to them. They did advise that I should phone back up and let them know the date, but I just thought I would return the letter and that it would all be in writing which was better (signed etc).

Now at the time, when I spoke to the person, I did not tell them that my partner had moved in the previous July. My partner was in and out of work and our money was really tight as he had previously been a student the year before (when he did not live with me) and only earned just over a thousand pounds for the year. So yes I was trying not to be honest with them and say he has lived there from the January (ish... can't remember the exact date or even month eeeeek).

We returned the letter, but I didn't hear anything from them. I guess I hoped that my award was just the same (which in hindsight was a pretty stupid thing to do as obviously it wouldn't be... but then again it asked for the previous year income which was only just over a grand... for 2010-11). Needless to say I should have phoned them when I didn't get a new award notice. I just made myself feel better that they had the information, they needed to deal with it.

Problem is, that I had a renewal letter in April and it said it was still a single claim. I panicked then and realised how much I needed to pay back and so didn't contact them because I just couldn't afford the overpayment etc.

So I returned the letter saying it was just me living here and nothing had changed! I feel so stupid now! I just panicked :-(

So I have a few questions:

• Do I bother telling them that I sent the letter in at all and try to justify it, or just admit he moved in around July and say nothing more?

• Also before he moved down he applied for credit but didn't get it, and did an insurance quote at my address to check how his policy would change when he moved here (it's a different area completely in the country).

• They would have record of the call I made but I have no idea what date it was... should I ask them to look for the call? Or would that make things worse?

• If the letter states it is 2011-12 then is this all they are investigating?

Please help me as this is really affecting my relationship with my new partner and my stress levels are through the roof. I am prepared to pay back what I owe so I guess I have admitted that I have fault here, but I am also distressed that my letter was lost which caused some (not all) of the stress here. I know I should have just rang when he first moved in, but I was supporting him and my two children on my own :-(

Please help me!

Hello there.

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies yet. The problem is that not everyone knows the answers, like myself.

We always suggest telling the truth a) because there's less to remember and more importantly b) because if you don't, they have access to a lot of information and are likely to find out anyway. You might get someone helpful ringing back who will assist you in organising your thoughts.

Have you seen anyone like the CAB? They've helped people here, but they are busy.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I have an appointment with them next week, but I will no doubt be contacted by my case worker before then so was unsure whether to proceed down the route of saying I sent the form in etc, or just say yes he has been living her since July...