uk border agency warning letter c162

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

my husbond went to belgium on saturday

on the way back stopped at cailia by uk border agency

they seized the rolling tobacco he was bringing back for our own

use 12pkts amber 4pkts springfield this would last us for good 10 mths.

if they had said we could pay the extra duty on it we would have done but no they just seized it.

we are putting in a notice of claim we need help on to haw to word it the letter he got was warning letter c162.

Duty free allowances

Inside the EU

Tax and duty-free goods

Duty-free alcohol from other EU countries is unlimited if it's for personal use

Tax free*means you don’t have to pay the usual UK VAT on products brought into the country

Duty free*means you don’t have to pay the UK duty which Customs and Revenue levies on imports

You can bring any amount of tax and duty-free alcohol, cigarettes and other purchases from EU countries, as long as everything is for your own use. This includes presents, but not anything you’re intending to sell.

The exception is that there are limits on the amount of tax and duty-free tobacco products you can bring in from some EU countries (see table below).

Shopping allowances:* Tobacco from the EU

Country Tax and duty-free allowance

Estonia 200 cigarettes

OR 250g of tobacco

Bulgaria, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia 200 cigarettes

All other EU countries

Unlimited for personal use

If you are carrying a large amount you may be questioned by customs if they suspect you may be importing goods for commercial purposes. Customs say you are more likely to be quizzed if you have over 3200 cigarettes, 110 litres of beer, 90 litres of wine or 10 litres of spirits.

Gbarbm

I think what makes them suspicious and doubtful that it is for personal use is when there are different makes. One person tends to kinda sticks to one brand all the time so having more than one throws doubt on it's validity.

hi.he made it clear to them that the amber leaf was for him and the springfeild was for me and soley for our own use.l could understand if it was a car full of tobacco.

Have you been over to europe on more than one occasion recently or this year? they often stop people who are travelling frequently as they could be bringing in duty free products for others.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Although unlimited (for own use) for older EU nations, for years they over policed it to illegally including confiscating cars (often by claiming everyones tobacco belonged to one person). The costs of chasing them in court was prohibitive.

Additionally - travellers were often subject to multi hour delays to deter 'booze cruises'.

About 2004 customs and excise as they were then took a double hit when the EU threatened court action against the UK for restricting free movement of people/goods (ECHR) and ?three people from merseyside? had their car confiscated for ?4kg? Of tobacco which C&E claimed was from one passenger. However the ferry cos were hacked off with C&E and funded the case to get the car back (thereby setting de facto permitted amounts if won). C&E lost the case.

Its looking like HMR&C are ignoring the case they lost as C&E.

look at...

[edit]

...its a site about bringing in 'duty free' lower duty goods from the EU.

Its mentioning over policicing returning again.

Edited by honeybee13
Link removed so the site can be checked by the site team.

Hello Bang!

There is a note on your post #9 that the link was taken out so it can be verified by the site team. Commercial links are not normally allowed.

I'll chase up what's happening, please don't repost the links until you hear back.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 1 month later...
Hello Bang!

There is a note on your post #9 that the link was taken out so it can be verified by the site team. Commercial links are not normally allowed.

I'll chase up what's happening, please don't repost the links until you hear back.

My best, HB

Hi HB. Has the link that bang posted been checked?

I'm looking for info on duty free amounts etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am wondering too about how this has ended. I had 20 packets of rolling tobacco and my motorcycle seized, in Calais Eurotunnel! UKBA officer questioned me for 3 hours, asking questions like 'how many cigarettes do you make from a 50g pouch' and in the end he decides that they are for commercial purpose and seizes everything, including my beloved motorcycle! :-xangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gif

• 4 weeks later...

you need to show a reciept to prove you bought your 3,200 cigs or your 3.5 kgs of tobacco within the EU I am sure the HMRC website states it there and ofcourse if you are a frequent day tripper they log your passport number and vechicle reg number it's an instant recognition camera that logs you at Ashford int station or Dover......................they are tracking US any which way they can as you are now all aware I just came back from a day trip to France and belgium just a month ago and no probs what so ever but in saying that it had been 4 years since we had last left these SEPTIC isles

and then we read that ginga pubes was fooling nude in a pool in LA at our expense.............tosser nation