I feel so devastated...

RaeUK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From my contact with Kelcou she needs a bit of time to herself at the moment so please respect this. I'm quite sure she will respond when she feels free to do so. ...

^^^ ahem, amended.

Apols, not a lot will happen until later in the week. After a very close and dear friend's funeral tomorrow (Tuesday) ...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing my circumstances for the week, The garage decided to phone up one hour before I needed to leave for the funeral in order to tell me that I have to pay their outlandish ransom within fourteen days or they'll destroy my car. Nice people ...

Knowing my circumstances for the week, The garage decided to phone up one hour before I needed to leave for the funeral in order to tell me that I have to pay their outlandish ransom within fourteen days or they'll destroy my car. Nice people ...

That is scandalous Kelcou. I wonder what Trading Standards would say.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Now days you have to go through CAB to get to Trading Standards. I would be interested to find out what has happened to the part the OP ordered. This appears to me to be the centre of the problem.

Hello Kelcou. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time of it at the minute.

Am I correct in thinking that two parts have been ordered and sent directly to the garage, who are claiming that neither one has arrived? Is the trader/person you ordered them from able to use Track and Trace or similar to see if they were signed for?

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Hi caro, sailor and LG,

I think there are two distinct issues here. First, the spurious 'storage' charges. I have spoken to the CAB helpline as recommended by Trading Standards. They are adamant the garage is in breach of contract.

The second issue is the apparent non-arrival of two seperate parcels of parts I arranged to be sent direct. They were purchased from a private individual who deals exclusively in second hand Rover parts. I've used him before in the past without problem. I don't believe he used a tracking / signing system. However, as all correspondence was online, I have a full history of date and time stamped messages confirming the sale, payment and postage of the the items. I am now also in receipt of a statement from the seller to that effect.

It does seem a bit suspicious that both parts have gone missing - I could believe one going AWOL...but both?

I'm originally from that area, so I've emailed a couple of mechanics that I know and asked them if they know of any issues with the garage you've mentioned. I know that doesn't help much in the lon run, but it might give you a better idea of what you're playing with.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

That's very kind, LG, everything helps. The garage have been very consistent in avoiding committing anything to paper, prefering instead to call frequently and threaten legal action and the destruction of my car. They are very demanding and menacing but I recognise the basic tactics of the bully from my posts in the Bailiff forum ...

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on this Kel, Im really shocked to hear this, my partner has his own business as a garage mechanic and has never charged storage fee's fees when working on a car, this is very bad business.

Please let us know what has happened, its a pity you were not closer to me as I would have been able to sort it for you. :hug:

Aw thank-you hun, that means a lot :)

I sent the garage a letter letting them know they were in breach of contract and giving them 21 days to respond and revert back to the original agreement. They sent me one letting me know they'll destroy my car in 14 days...

OH has said he will ask about on time limits etc, he thinks but not 100% sure that the garage owner cannot destroy your car until a 6 month period has lapsed.

He also stated that its only a*** hole garage owners that charge a storage fee. :lol:

Indeed, seanamarts. I'm 99.9% certain they'd need a court order. For 6 months I'd assume they'd need to prove abandonment of some sort. Either way it doesn't apply to me. This coming week will be interesting. Initially, I'll be going through the legal services provided by my insurance.

Sailor, I've sent the garage proof that the parts were sent on two seperate occassions. Until they agree they are wrong to levy storage charges we are at a bit of an impasse ...

Indeed, seanamarts. I'm 99.9% certain they'd need a court order. For 6 months I'd assume they'd need to prove abandonment of some sort. Either way it doesn't apply to me. This coming week will be interesting. Initially, I'll be going through the legal services provided by my insurance.

Sailor, I've sent the garage proof that the parts were sent on two seperate occassions. Until they agree they are wrong to levy storage charges we are at a bit of an impasse ...

Have you checked with the supplier to see whether they have any record of them being delivered? It seems odd that it should go missing on two occasions.

Most odd indeed, sailor. Unfortunately, the parcels went without any method of tracking. They were from a private individual. However, I have purchased from him before without a problem and, I have just discovered, we have a mutual acquaintance who has given me unbidden positive testimony regarding the supplier. I have all our time and date stamped messages regarding the supply and delivery together with a statement from him which can later be supplemented with an affidavit if needed. This information has been supplied to the garage ...

Today was the deadline I gave the rogue garage to respond by and revert back to the original agreement. Not surprisingly I haven't heard anything from them ...

No word from the garage, freaky, but no surprise there. The matter has now been referred to Trading Standards who will be calling me in the next three days. So I'll wait to see what they suggest before consulting a solicitor, of whom there are a couple in my locality who deal with these matters ...

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update: Finally heard back from Trading Standards. They don't think they can do anything and recommend legal action. So, first catch a solicitor ...

Have you got any legal cover included in your house insurance ?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Yes, I was referring to contents insurance :( Are you in a union?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.