I feel so devastated...

RaeUK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4240 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't know why I'm posting this, I don't think there's anything that can be done. I just feel so bad.

I'm a Blue Badge holder with some mobility and breathing difficulties.

I have Severe (Stage 3) Chronic Bronchitis which is quite debilitating.

Living in a rural village as well, my car is my lifeline.

A week and a half ago, whilst returning to Dorset from a hospital appointment in London, my car broke down. The water expansion tank had split.

My breakdown service, 1st Call, had my car taken to Whiteline Autos in Woolston, Southampton.

(Unfortunately, their policy is to take you to their nearest repair centre as opposed to your destination. I was only 30 miles from home).

I contacted the garage the next day and asked them to locate a second hand part as, being on benefits, I couldn't afford new.

They were happy with that.

A week later (Monday just gone) they called and said they couldn't locate one. I said I could.

I located the part online, paid for it on Tuesday and it should have been sent out on Wednesday.

Today, (Friday), the garage owner called and said the part hadn't arrived. And as the car had been there a week and a half he will charge me storage costs.

I explained I couldn't afford that.

I explained my financial position.

I explained my physical difficulties.

I apologised for having so little money.

He simply said "I'm sorry, but I have a business to run" and then told me he was taking my car in lieu of storage charge payments.

I really don't know what to do.

I've lost my car.

My lifeline.

I'm so completely devastated and haven't really stopped crying since I had this phone call.

I appreciate there probably isn't anything I can do but I'm just so upset that my car can be taken so easily.

And that somebody can be so cruel and heartless to do this to me.

Sorry.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the answers but the one thing that jumps out at me he was taking the car in lieu of storage charge payments...........i would of thought that would be classed as theft???

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Hi

How much are the storage charges?

When is tha part likely to be delivered? Have the garage given you a quote for the fitting of the part?

What was the part required? If it is just an expansion tank then it should be about 1/2 an hour to fit.

Is he charging you the whole week and a half?

Edited by ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Kelcou

The storage charges at the garage is £24 per day.

Storage costs so far is £48

A new part is £66.00

The total price for a new part , labour and 2 days storage is £ 165.60.

If you leave this any longer into next week the storage charges will be added at a rate of £24 a day. It would be cheaper to let them fit the new part as they say the second hand one hadn't been ordered. As it is now the weekend it won't be fitted until at least Monday if you give the go ahead.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Hi ukaviater,

Sorry, I've just seen your posts and thank you for the information.

The garage told me it would cost £35 to fit being one hours labour.

I informed them from the start that I could not afford £66 for new part and they said they would contact their local scrapyards for me. I knew that I could get a part for £30 inclusive of p&p.

They finally contacted me after one week (Bank Holiday Monday) to say they could not get a part second hand. So I said I can arrange one.

On the monday night I sourced a part via a Rovers Forum (see link, 3rd post onward). Paid cash into the sellers bank on Tueday and it was being sent out on Wednesday. The garage owner was fully aware of this and knows I have ordered the part. To say otherwise, I'm afraid, is a lie.

My Thread Link

I then PM'd the seller as follows:

Sent: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:48 pm

To: CHR15E

Hi Chris,

Assuming your Bank details are the same as before, I can put £30 direct into NatWest tomorrow (Tuesday). Let me know if you need a bit extra for postage.

The postal address will be slightly different as it has to go to the garage in Southampton, I'll advise them to stick the spare in the boot (thankyou so much for your offer).

The address would be:

[EDIT] Kelcou

[ADDRESS]

And, to be doubly certain, would you mind putting my reg no on the package as well, [EDIT]

Again, many many thanks ...

[EDIT]

I received confirmation all was ok. And the following:

Sent: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:14 pm

To: RaeUK

Indeed it, thankyou.

I'll do my very best to get them sent tomorrow.

Chris

I have paid £30 for the part and postage, I can pay £35 labour. I have had to pay £20 travel costs to get home and need to pay a further £20/£30 travel to recover my car. This cleans me out completely. I do not have £48 to pay 'storage' nor £24 per day for 'storing' a car whilst I get the part the garage claimed not to be able to. They are fully aware of my financial predicament and have been since the day the car was taken there. I am at a loss as to why they are now saying I haven't ordered the part!

They have stated that they are keeping the car and have taken my address to send me paperwork to that effect...

[EDIT]

Edited by ims21
Personal Identifiers Removed

How much is your car worth ? Perhaps you should contact trading standards (and your local MP and press)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Ell-enn,

I don't think my car is worth anything to anybody but me. It's a fifteen year old Rover 820 that's held together by it's paint and good fortune. But it's all that I have to get me to the local shops (up to 20 mile round trip).

I think you would be hard pressed to get £100 for it if anything at all.

I have emailed a local Southampton newspaper and will see what transpires there. And try and get further advice on Monday, perhaps Trading Standards as you suggest.

It's difficult to think straight tbh ...

I think we need to address your problems from a different angle. Whilst it is none of our business what your financial position is, i would have thought that you would qualify for some sort of disability allowance (DLA) due to your illness. Running an old 820 can't be cheap. Perhaps you should consider getting advice from CAB on what allowances you may qualify for. Once they are in place, it may be possible for you to get a car from Motability and that would save you any motoring worries in the future. Hope this helps, as there are presently some good cars available for NIL deposit on the Motability scheme.

Report that your Car has been stolen. The Police will visit the Garage owner and then come back (depending on the Police Officer) and say 'Its a Civil Matter' then get onto the phone and ask for a duty Inspector. If he says the same contact the Police Complaints Department. This always gets those lazy bobbies off their backsides. It is theft, therefore Criminal. Do not be afraid of contacting the Police after all we, the Taxpayers pay their wages.

Hello Rae,

PM me with the full story and I'll help ou as you have done with me in the past. If the PM is blocked as I expect it to be then I think you have my private email address. I don't get involved too much on CAG now. It seems the sue grabbit and run brigade has taken over yet we seldom hear of success. Let alone the censorship that the site team have taken on in the transport forum. If you get this you'll be lucky!!

please assist you have no outstanding issues with us.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi helios, thank-you for taking the trouble to post it was a pleasant surprise.

I've checked my email address book and you're quite right, you're sat patiently in there. If you don't mind, I'll email you tomorrow (Saturday) and tell you what has happened.

Your 'sue grabbit and run' comment gave me a much needed smile. I guess that's a bit of a sad indictment on some of todays society. Not all, though, I trust...

Best wishes

Rae

please assist you have no outstanding issues with us.

dx

Hi dx,

I hope by offering to email helios I haven't transgressed any site rules. We have emailed each other on and off for a couple of years now - I can't believe it's been that long! And, whilst we have never met it, it is almost a social thing. I will say, though, and I'm sure he'll agree, if the conversation leads to any constructive advice regarding my predicament then I will happily post that to this thread to help others...

Rae.

Heliosuk, your regular input to this site is GREATLY MISSED.

Since i know some of your background, it is a pity to deprive us of your superior technical knowledge.

However, the sue and grab brigade offer all that is available under our feckless Govt. quangos.

I am in regular contact with my MP who is trying to get the OFT, and perhaps through them, the TS to get off their backsides and actively enforce the excellent consumer laws which presently exist in this country.

It may interest posters on this site to know that the OFT have prosecuted one of the main offenders who regularly appear on this site (sadly not AC AS YET). BUT THEY ARE STILL "AT IT".

Very nice to read your input again.

Don't I????????? You are the main offender with your persistent statement of "go get em" when in reality there is no hope of any realistic court action and all you do is raise the hopes of people asking for help when in reality any court action will result in misery. Some of you guys need to get a grip on reality before offering or suggesting advice.

And when a trader comes on to site offering a different but constructive perspective............er because of some peoples opinion he his banned???????

The beauty of this site is that in genereal it offers exceptional advice but exceptional advice includes the devils advocate at times. SOGA is not as clear cut as the regular posters might think and this should be bourne in mind with the site team who seem to think it is.

Rae,

As before, contact me an I'll help you out on this one.

Lest anyone comments that we are in slight peril of going off topic, please let me make it clear that I am happy for my threads to meander a bit. It's refreshing albeit not necessarily for everyone.

Especially at the moment when I feel that someone has snuck up on me, removed my brain and replaced it with candy floss. Going off on tangents is a welcome break!

scania - I did note your DLA comments earlier.

h - will do so.

Hi dx,

I hope by offering to email helios I haven't transgressed any site rules. We have emailed each other on and off for a couple of years now - I can't believe it's been that long! And, whilst we have never met it, it is almost a social thing. I will say, though, and I'm sure he'll agree, if the conversation leads to any constructive advice regarding my predicament then I will happily post that to this thread to help others...

Rae.

none

go ahead

dx

• Haha 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Kelcou

The storage charges at the garage is £24 per day.

Storage costs so far is £48

A new part is £66.00

The total price for a new part , labour and 2 days storage is £ 165.60.

If you leave this any longer into next week the storage charges will be added at a rate of £24 a day. It would be cheaper to let them fit the new part as they say the second hand one hadn't been ordered. As it is now the weekend it won't be fitted until at least Monday if you give the go ahead.

Hi ukaviator,

Apols for going back to your earlier post. Only I'm thinking a little straighter now that shock has given way to annoyance.

I get the (obvious) impression that you have contacted the garage direct. Can't see how else you could be posting information they haven't even bothered to tell me!

Could you confirm who you spoke to? Was it the girl (receptionist, the daughter) or the guy (the owner, the father)? I'd like to know who lied to you and said I hadn't ordered the part. As this thread shows, I have date and time stamped evidence I ordered the part within a few hours of them letting me know - after a week of trying - that they couldn't get a second hand part.

I'm presuming you don't work for or personally know the garage in question ... :!:

Don't you think that charging 'storage' for a car awaiting repair is morally wrong? Something smells ...

OK Kel, way off topic but i know heliosuks view on massive difference in income between sales and technical people in the motor trade. My point is that if the "Authorities" extracted the finger and enthusiastically "educated" motor traders in SOGA and Cputr regs. then there would be no need for most of the posts on this site.

Now a few of us have asked our MP's to try and get Govt to set regulations wherebye all people involved in selling high value goods have to undergoe training with the requirement to attain a recognised qualification which should render them "Fit for Purpose" when dealing with the public.

Perhaps you viewers would like to assist by contacting your MP's with a similar request.

I don't see how they think they can keep your car without a court order. This is absurd. You haven't even had a bill!!

I wonder what Trading Standards would have to say about this.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.