Do you have charges going back more than 6 years?

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I agree - excellent clarification of the 6 year rule. I only starting looking into this a week ago, and I have to say I have learnt more useful information in the last week than I have for a long time! Thanks everybody.

Janet

Capital One - DPA sent 13/06 (MCard) - have acknowledged DPA request, say they will send info shortly....

Egg - DPA sent 14/06 (2 Visa Cards) - standard request for identification document received in response to Data Protection Act

NatWest Current A/C - DPA sent 15/06 -initial estimate of claim is £4,358 plus interest (to be calculated) :-D

Morgan Stanley - DPA sent 15/06 (Platinum MCard) - have cashed my £10 cheque...no statements yet...

MBNA - DAP sent 15/06 (Visa and MCard) - acknowledged

Barclaycard - DPA sent 15/06 (Visa and MCard) - acknowledged

Bank of Scotland - DPA Letter sent 16/06 (Loan)

Beneficial Bank (HFC) - DPA sent 20/06 (Visa)

RBOS - (Visa and MCard) - DPA sent 23/06

Natwest (Visa) - DPA sent 23/06

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's the element of 'deceit' which allows you to go beyond 6 years. That is, if you can prove that they deliberately witheld important information from you, such as the fact that the charges carry an 11000% profit margin and they can't make you pay them.

With regard to what their solicitors did or did not know, I think it's difficult to tell. The exact cost to the bank of the charges is something they will certainly have worked out, but that figure will be known to only a very few people within the bank. It's perfectly possible that all the public utterances we've had from the banks spokespeople are perfectly sincere, since they themselves are probably not party to the true cost. If some senior person from on up the chain of command tells them that the costs are fair, then that's what they'll believe.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

I sent the co-op an SAR requesting details of all transactions & charges from when the account was opened (which was around mid 1980's). They supplied the last 6 years data which totalled £900 in unlawful charges but are not forthcoming in supplying any data pre-6years. I have started a claim for the £900 and also wrote back to the Data Controller informing that they have not fully complied with my DPA request as I require all the information that they hold, not just the last 6 years.

Well, Nat West sued me for a balance including a large element of charges. They used external solicitors to do this. They either assumed that the balance was lawful or they knew that it wasn't but proceeded anyway.

The bank clearly had a duty as my fiduciary to levy lawful charges and not to sue me for amounts that it knew were unlawful. Their solicitor was under a duty to satisfy itself that it was collecting a lawful debt.

The bank now has the audacity to argue that my attempt to claim these unlawful charges back is statute barred.

I am, to say the least, feeling a bit peeved.

25 pound for a bumped direct debit in 1996, yes sure their charges only covered acctual losses. i got statements from 96 to when i closed my account in 1998 looks like they just go back ten years at rbs, 1800 in charges. with this latest info i will test it out in court after my claims settled with barclays. would like to work interest out on these charges but the online calculater starts from 1999. any ideas.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

25 pound for a bumped direct debit in 1996, yes sure their charges only covered acctual losses. i got statements from 96 to when i closed my account in 1998 looks like they just go back ten years at rbs, 1800 in charges. with this latest info i will test it out in court after my claims settled with barclays. would like to work interest out on these charges but the online calculater starts from 1999. any ideas.

You could try my spreadsheet to calculate interest. If you can't use Excel, I do have a version in Works, so PM me with your email address if you need it.

Vamp.:)

[

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a while now and as a result have started the ball rolling claiming £2300 from Natwest since 2000 :-D.

In a previous life, however, I ran a small business, had an account with RBS from approx 1989 to 1996 and was charged heavily.

The business failed in '96 and I became voluntarily bankrupt, lost my business, house, pension, health, everything.

All my accounts and bank statements were handed over to the Official Receiver at the time of bankruptcy.

I happen to have copies of 2 sets of accounts from '92 and '93 and charges and interest for those 2 years alone were £4184.00. On a turnover of less than £30,000 in the early years this was a huge drain on my finances and I never recovered.

At the time of Bankruptcy I had an overdraft of almost £5000 with the RBS and this was added to the list of creditors, i.e. not paid.

It is my opinion that the charges levied on my account were a major contributing factor to the failure of my business :mad: .

I would like to attempt to recover the charges on this account but I will study the forum and follow this thread a little more first as my situation seems to pose a few questions; should I ask the RBS or Official Receiver or both for my statements/charges? Would there be any way RBS could deduct the unpaid £5000 overdraft from any refunded charges?

If the answers to these questions are already on the forum somewhere maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

This is a fantastic site, thank you.

Ta, Minnie :-)

Hi Vamps & Jones,

thanks for the quick responses.

I only posted here because BF asked if anyone had charges older than 6 years. Thought the addition of my info might be useful.

I've read the FAQ extensively Vampiress and indeed, am well into a claim against Natwest for more recent charges. Thought your spreadsheet was marvelous BTW.

I was going to study the forum further before starting my own thread re my older claim with RBS but now joneshoushold has tempted me with some info I'll start it today!

Ta, Minnie :-)

Quick update in this thread (considering the thread title) - but more detail will be provided in my own specific thread.

Letter (prelim and LBA in one) just sent to the bank requesting refund of charges between 1996 and 2000. My initial intention was to go straight back to 1982, but there was a huge cost risk in this. After advice, the claim is for a more modest amout, and if it is settled then I have the option, and the personal precedent, of going back through the mists of time bit by bit...to 1982.

A slight change from plan was to request interest at 14.8% APR, the bank's authorised rate. The argument is the bank would have charged me at this rate, and therefore "mutuality " and "reciprocity" has been brought to bear on the claim...

Will keep people updated on progress, but as I have given them 14 days before I raise a claim, I expect this to move quickly...:)

See the steps I took to get my bank charges back.

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Thank you Consumer Action Group.

Read my blog.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

My b/f had bank charges with halifax in 97/98 but the acc been closed since then and I dont know his account number. The charges were for over £1k. Do you think the bank would still have his details and would they be likely to give them to him???

My b/f had bank charges with halifax in 97/98 but the acc been closed since then and I dont know his account number. The charges were for over £1k. Do you think the bank would still have his details and would they be likely to give them to him???

No and no, but you could send a DPA request anyway and see, then decide what steps to take after the 40 days or response that you get. It will probably be very difficult.

[

i received copy statements by making polite phone call to head office, these were between 95 to 98, free of charge, i told them something has come back to haunt me from the past.

Winston Churchill

certainly do, added them up and its over £1000 in the last 6 years, have used the template today, its fab thanks! Only one question, if someone out there can help, how do I know how much of the interest is due to the charges?? I am getting ready to send the first letter and I have worked out my charges but cant differntiate between the normal overdraft interest and interest charged due to the astronoical costs, HELP!! Also when it states to send a schedule of charges with my letter is that similar to the excel spreadsheet in the library, only without the 8% interest, I really want to get this right! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

schedule of charges, the amount, date, and reason for charge, only ad interest at the moneyclaim stage. i just calculated 8% for each charge using the spread sheet and put this in my claim,

Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

regarding the statute of limitation, if someone had an account ten years ago and bank charges kept forcing the account into overdraft which eventualy required a bank loan to clear, then just say the loan was subject to a ccj, yes it would be 10 years ago, but if the ccj was still in force, ie payments being made monthly, As part of the loan would have been made up of unlawfull charges. then is this debt still active, ccjs are statute barred. the person would be still paying his charges back whithin is ccj, even now, would this avoid the 6 year limitation.

Winston Churchill

I am just in the process of claiming back charges from my mortgage lender going back to November 1997. Rather than negotiate, they have decided to deploy the Statute Barred argument.

I have today informed them that I intend to challenge this on the basis of sections 32(1)(b) or 32(1)© of the Limitation Act. Unless they come back with something very quickly I will be issuing my claim on Tuesday for just over £10,500.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

my estimate for 6 year is approx £3K, for the 5 years prior to that is a guestimate at this time (no reply to DPA yet) but between one and two thou probably, basically would be worth pursuing if poss. Had the account 11 years and have always paid charges, while a student and thereafter. Halifax.

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

my estimate for 6 year is approx £3K, for the 5 years prior to that is a guestimate at this time (no reply to Data Protection Act yet) but between one and two thou probably, basically would be worth pursuing if poss. Had the account 11 years and have always paid charges, while a student and thereafter. Halifax.

We always suggest that people go for six years as the law is clear, and the banks have no grounds to argue - or at least they haven't found any yet!

Whilst I am sure of my ground arguing that section 32 of the Limitation Act overturns the 6-year rule, others may not feel able to do that - and this has not been tested yet in court.

It is possible that the banks will not fancy the risk of debating the issue in court - but be warned that they may decide that they need to prove a point.

It has to be your call.

Alan, Derby, UK.

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

i am about to test the limitation act, but if i win in court and the bank appeals would it go to a high court, and would i then have to pay the banks costs, if i lost.

If you were to win in court, I would doubt the banks would relish going to the High Court where a precedent could be set!!

However, to answer your question - I would doubt that the High Court could award costs against you since your claim was in the Small Claims Track. The decision to seek a higher court would be the banks. I would also expect that your costs would also be covered, to ensure that the playing field was level.

Alan, Derby, UK.

I'm pushing for 6 years in Scotland where the law is 5. Mainly because in that extra year, it's more than double the amount in the following 5, and is a lot of the cause of the hole I've spent 5 years digging myself out of.

I'll let you know how that goes. I used to be charged £8.50 prior to that, but it was a student account.

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks