Do you have charges going back more than 6 years?

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anyone had more than 6 years of statements back from Nat West in response to a DPA enquiry?

I'm still waiting for my response which requested back to commencement of my account. I do hope to get them though. Discuss later.

[

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the 6 year limitation apply to the DPA itself, or just to the amount you could claim once you have all the information since the account was open which is longer than 6 years?

I don't see why there would be a statute of limitation on getting the data itself - can someone clarify please? I am going to ask for everything, and then try and claim for it all as well :)

Thanks

Janet

Capital One - DPA sent 13/06 (MCard) - have acknowledged DPA request, say they will send info shortly....

Egg - DPA sent 14/06 (2 Visa Cards) - standard request for identification document received in response to Data Protection Act

NatWest Current A/C - DPA sent 15/06 -initial estimate of claim is £4,358 plus interest (to be calculated) :-D

Morgan Stanley - DPA sent 15/06 (Platinum MCard) - have cashed my £10 cheque...no statements yet...

MBNA - DAP sent 15/06 (Visa and MCard) - acknowledged

Barclaycard - DPA sent 15/06 (Visa and MCard) - acknowledged

Bank of Scotland - DPA Letter sent 16/06 (Loan)

Beneficial Bank (HFC) - DPA sent 20/06 (Visa)

RBOS - (Visa and MCard) - DPA sent 23/06

Natwest (Visa) - DPA sent 23/06

6 yr restriction is on the amount you can claim but there are exceptions.

The DPA request is for all information held. If they shredded everything they had up to yesterday, they can only give you today's records. (Although Inland Revenue won't be happy.) I should imagine every bank staff member has been busy shredding this lasdt month or so.

[

Under normal circumstances, HMRC can only go back one-year prior to your most recent tax return unless you are self-employed, where they can issue a notice of enquiry back 5-years from most recent filing.

However, if there is fraud involved, HMRC are *not* constrained by the statute of limitations - they can go back as far as they like. They have some mighty powers - including the ability to retrospectively change the law.... they're trying to do this at the moment for credit card discounting on VAT transactions. They have publicly said that if they lose the case in the courts, they're going to change the law and backdate it.... cripes!

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

I've just got back £935.03 (£500 odd + interest) from Abbey for charges to my mortgage for the period Nov 97 - Nov 2000.

They didn't even contest the time frame issue.

NeilP

(Still a very happy bunny - just a poor one until i actually get the money in my account!!)

I am sure I read in the DPA that info on individuals should be held for thr mandatory period, and NO MORE. So companies should not be holding our info for longer than the 6/7 year period, unless it relates to mortgages for instance, or I presume,

accounts that are in default and still active.

Is there a fine if companies do hold on to our info for longer than the statutory maximum, and/or are we recompensed for their tardiness?

Is there a fine if companies do hold on to our info for longer than the statutory maximum, and/or are we recompensed for their tardiness?

There are some court remedies within the Data Protection Act that only the Information Commissioner can take. I would guess that this would be one of those.

What bothers me is that the IC only seems to have the capacity to handle a small number of cases each year, and would imagine that "tardiness" would just earn a stiff talking to!!

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

Just checked my main account which goes back to 1996 and:-

1996 - 2000 £1262 of Charges

2000+ Already claimed and got settlement (awaiting funds though!)

Bank Abbey National

Am thinking about putting in the prelim and LBA to see what they say.

Has anyone had more than 6 years of statements back from Nat West in response to a DPA enquiry?

Nope. I made my 1st SAR and got my money back, then we started talking about over 6 yrs and thought I'd send them a 2nd SAR for pre-6 info. Bstrds sent me the 6 yrs info again.

Possibility 1: They're getting so many SAR they don't even bother reading the letters and just send the 6 yrs.

Possibility 2: They don't HAVE more than 6 yrs. Another thing I need to chase up.

Well I know that they have data from 7 years ago as they quoted the value of charges in that year. The question is then how far back do they hold this information and are they legally obliged to provide it.

I *think* the data protection act allows a data subject to request any information held, regardless of how old it is.

This issue isn't what data they hold, the issue is the statute of limitations which, in essence, says you must claim on an offence within 6-years of it occuring. There are, however, some exception circumstances which allow this timeframe to be extended and this thread is about testing those rules.

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

So that means if one claims within 6 years of the last charge or from when we found out about the unlawfulness of their action then we can claim back for as far back as we like? So the 6 years statute of limitation actually relates to the period from when the offence by the bank was found out not the period for which we are generally limiting our claims to?

So that means if one claims within 6 years of the last charge or from when we found out about the unlawfulness of their action then we can claim back for as far back as we like? So the 6 years statute of limitation actually relates to the period from when the offence by the bank was found out not the period for which we are generally limiting our claims to?

That's a very interesting question and quite distinct from the issue of deliberate concealment. I don't know the answer but I am about to test it in court with Nat West.

Bank charges totalling around £1500 dating back to 1997

Lloyds TSB (and TSB before it joined unions)

Havesent DPA to Lloyds TSB today and am awaiting their response !

Great site - I will be delighted to donate should this come off.....

So that means if one claims within 6 years of the last charge

I hadn't thought of it that way; I would have imagined that each charge was a seperate offence rather than a continuous offence, so the 6-year rule would apply individually to each charge.

It's probably academic anyway, I thought the 6-year rule only applied from when you discovered an offence had been committed? If this isn't true, how do people get convicted twenty-years later for child abuse?..?

That's precisely my point. If it only relates to the time when you discovered the defence ie: now, does it mean that the WHOLE offence should be taken into account, not just the six years we are all restricting our claims on?

I think there's some confusion here about how the limitation laws work.

I think you'll find that it is a forward looking beast, not a backward one. This means that you have six years to make your claim, rather than, if they can keep it quiet for six years, then they've got away with it.

The way I interpret this is that if I write to my bank today and warn them that I'm going to sue them, I have six years in which to do it before I start to have problems with time limits.

However, another example of people going back many years to make a claim can be found in the mega claims against the fag companies. The people bringing these claims have to show that the fag company knew that fags were harmful at the time. So, to make the analogy complete, you would have to prove that the banks knew they were making a profit from their charges, and therefore could reasonably have been expected to know that their charges were unlawful. If you can demonstrate this, then all you have to do is show that they made no attempt to warn you that they were charging money which they were not entitled to do.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Exactly. This means that if any of the Directors at the time were for example, lawyers, they will be deemed to have had sufficient knowledge of the situation that they should have warned the bank that they were acting unlawfully.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

I think there's some confusion here about how the limitation laws work.

I think you'll find that it is a forward looking beast, not a backward one. This means that you have six years to make your claim, rather than, if they can keep it quiet for six years, then they've got away with it.

The way I interpet this is that if I write to my bank today and warn them that I'm going to sue them, I have six years in which to do it before I start to have problems with time limits.

However, another example of people going back many years to make a claimk can be found in the mega claims against the fag companies. The people bringing these claims have to show that the fag company knew that fags were harmful at the time. So, to make the analogy comlete, you would have to prove that the banks knew they were making a profit from their charges, and therefore could reasonably have been expected to know that their charges were unlawful. If you can demonstrate this, then all you have to do is show that they made no attempt to warn you that they were charging money which they were not entitled to do.

I really really like that argument and analogy...and whilst I may have temporarily put my claim to 1982 on hold, I would certainly consider testing (from a costs safety angle) this theory going back ten years...

In fact I have been thinking about it for a few days, realising that the bigger claim would be almost a no-hoper in the current environment..

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Would the analogy also apply to staff employed in legal roles such as in-house solicitors. I have said a few times that I find it impossible to believe that the in-house solicitors at many if not all of the banks were not aware of this legislation. Nationwide have an in-house solicitor I believe, Charles Bacon.

Wow Robertxc, that is the clearest explanation I have heard concerning this particular topic, thank you.

My LBA was sent out today for charges dating back to 2000, however after checking the statements I am owed a larger sum from the time dating back to 1997.

I am going to think very seriously when I have settled this first one whether I will start the ball rolling on the older charges.

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Fob off now rec'd to the prelim

Copy of fob off now rec'd as response to LBA!

Full repayment of all charges since 1997 now received.

Account Closed

Donation made :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks