Can father still insure without DL?

RachelMD
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Dad owns a vehicle, which he presently insures, with me as a named driver.

Due to his deteriorating health, I'm his carer and now exclusively drive his car for him. His license is up for renewal (he's 81) and it's very doubtful that his GP will sign for the renewal.

If his license is not renewed, can he continue to be the insurer- with me as a named driver, or will we need a new policy solely for me?

Thanks in advance.

Talk to the insurer - but probably they won't insure

I fear you are technically uninsured if you are the main driver without declaring it........ It's because parents have historically tried to cut down their offspring's insurance costs in precisely this way. it's your fathers risk they are covering, and your occasional use.

My Dad owns a vehicle, which he presently insures, with me as a named driver.

If they are already aware that you are the MAIN driver, even though it is his vehicle, then you are doing nothing wrong, as they will have taken your amount of driving into account on their risk assessment. However, this means that even though you are doing all the driving, you are not accruing any NCD in your name, so when you eventually organise your own insurance you will not be given the credit for any no claims years you have (hopefully) had.

Far better to ask the insurance company to allow you to have the insurance in your name to drive your dad's car

Insurers generally rate on the highest risk named driver and therefore provided you are named as the main driver, albeit the policy in your fathers name you should be fine. Transfering the V5 is also another option. Also make sure if the vehicle is usually kept at a different address to the policyholders address, that your insurer is aware of this as that can cause problems.