caution-for no valid ticket

Guest DavidW
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope someone can help.

I travelled yesterday one stop beyond my destination without a valid ticket.

I honestly fogot to buy one.

I was stopped by an RPI inspector on the train, he cautioned me and asked why I did not have a ticket, i told him i forgot to buy one. He asked if \i had the money to buy a ticket and if I was willing to buy one, to which I answered both yes.

I know I will get a letter in the post with possible prosecution, does anyone know the likelhood of this?

Also will anyting I post on here be used against me if I do get taken to court? I can see that quite a few of you are RPIs

Also is it worth telephoning the train operating company and sorting this out straight away or is it best to await the letter?

dont worry about the guys that help here

they might quite rightly point

to the worst that can happen

or tey to get to the botttom

oif the story

but i can assure you

none will stoop as low as use this forum as evidence!!

i'd await your letter.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What type of ticket was it?

hi i had a railcard zones 1 to 4.paper not oyster.i went to zone 5 with no valid ticket.

Hello there. I speak as a non train company person. To answer a couple of your questions if I can.

Also will anyting I post on here be used against me if I do get taken to court? I can see that quite a few of you are RPIs

I know people arrive here feeling vulnerable or even paranoid, but how would they know who you are unless you give us your full name and address? :) They deal with dozens of cases a day or a week.

Also is it worth telephoning the train operating company and sorting this out straight away or is it best to await the letter?

No point I'm afraid, however keen you are to resolve this. Paperwork needs to be processed and the TOC need to allocate a reference to your case before anyone can talk to you about it. You need to wait for the letter, which could take some weeks. Come back here with any queries or other questions you have in the meantime.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

As HB has stated many of the rpi's are based all over the uk and the info you give on this site will bear no relevance as toc's are dealing with hundreds of cases at any one time.

My advice is also to sit and wait to the letter arrives to see what the toc has alleged, they will more than likely pursue a byelaw offence. There are a few threads on here already which are relevant to your position which might be worth reading on.

thanks can any rpis tell me how they conduct there report after they have cautioned you do they then carry out further checks on you?

also can they only prosecute for what was said under caution.what happens if you do not give the full version me events under caution.

Not unless your name flags up from previous offences.

You gotny previous?

on the spot penalty fare for going beyond my zone 2 years ago.

also can they only prosecute for what was said under caution.what happens if you do not give the full version me events under caution.

The caution tells ya what you can and cannot / should not say. PACE 1984. Older than most of the ****ers here :madgrin:

Same firm? But even if it was, and paid or cancelled / appealed or cancelled, it'd be irrelevant.

it was the same firm it was paid straight away .the reason i am asking is because i have made the journey before without a valid ticket.will they suspect me of this?they did not ask me about previous travel or take my travel card.

The caution tells ya what you can and cannot / should not say. PACE 1984. Older than most of the ****ers here madgrin.gif

sorry can you explain further?if you give correct contact details under caution but lie under caution about your journey what would happen.

sorry mr gates what does that mean il plain english. I lied about my journey under caution.if they suspect me of lying will they check barrier information and cctv footage to prove i lied about my journey.

The caution tells ya what you can and cannot / should not say. PACE 1984. Older than most of the ****ers here :madgrin:

The caution in its current form is a safeguard for both a person suspected of an offence and the person conducting the interview under the Police & Criminal Evidence Act (1984).

This came about because of the illegal activity of a minority of rogue Police Officers employed by West Midlands Serious Crimes Squad in the 1970s and which lead to a major change in legislation governing the way that evidence is collected and recorded during the investigations that result in prosecution of offenders.

P.A.C.E Codes govern how information is collected and recorded.

There are a number of investigative options open to the staff involved in these activities. I have been involved in training a great many RPIs over the years and much depends on the specific incident in hand and the company involved.

Generalisations might not help too much. Suffice to say that if you were spoken to by a skilled RPI and were untruthful, whether under caution at the time or not, the inspectors report should contain all the necessary evidence to support the allegation.

Edited by Old-CodJA

so you are saying if they think i lied under caution he would need to provide evidence in his report to prove i lied?

also does anyone know how long it will be till i get the letter from them?if they prove i lied under caution will it mention this in the letter to me.

so you are saying if they think i lied under caution he would need to provide evidence in his report to prove i lied?

No, just evidence that an offence had been committed. It is clear from your posts that you lied to the inspector, but s/he only needs to show that an offence is evident in order to report.

You should stop worrying about what might or might not happen at this stage and wait until you receive the verification letter from the rail company then come back and tell us what it says.

People will be happy to assist if you should need it then

Edited by Old-CodJA

thanks for the info.my other concern is can they prove i have travelled without a ticket before? I am also still a bit confused about the lying under caution.are you saying as long as i provided my correct name and address that because i was caught making a journey without a valid ticket it does not matter if i lied about my journey mr not,they just have to prove that i was caught without a valid ticket.