Bailiffs - the true horrors - The Exposure TV documentary - Rossendales - Comments

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bet the bailiffs that have been caught out have been at it for years...part of the highly trained bailiffs we here so much about, any further bets they have been "sacked" with a good hand out and all the baillif companies will trot out they had new rotten apples in their barrel that they did not know about, then they will write to all their clients to say its now sorted......and all the Councils will say ok thats all right then????????????

I do not claim to be psychic nor do I have insider information...........I just base my theory on having seen and heard it all before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WD

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As many people on here are aware, I have a commercial business providing advice to debtors who may have been subject to a bailiff visit.

I have written on posts on the bailiff forum many times that I have never before witnessed such excessive fees being charged by bailiffs since the recession. A number of expressions come to mind. One is "milking this cash cow until it turns sour" and the other is a "dash for cash".

Last year, approx 3.3 million Liability Orders were issued against home owners who have fallen behind with payment for their council tax. From the many enquiries that I receive and also see on the forums, so many of these debtors are victims of the recession where they have suffered redundancies etc and not forgetting, the appalling situation that we tend not to see on this part of the forum whereby an individual has been subject to reassessment of their Incapacity Benefit or Disability Living Allowance by agencies who are PAID A FEE for each case where they can CLAIM that a person is fit for work!! In such cases, benefits STOP OVERNIGHT and the appeals process takes MONTHS.

In 2006 a television programme was aired called the Whistleblower. This featured various bailiffs one of whom was nicknamed "ladders". This is because, he used to carry a ladder in his car which he would use to climb into an open upstairs window!! There were other examples at the time and it was well known within the bailiff industry that the relevant bailiff companies featured quickly gor rid of the bailiffs who were seen on film. If they hoped that this would cure the problem...they are wrong.

The "Whistleblower" programme had a simply devastating effect on this already unpopular industry and since that time, the government have been promising that they would introduce change and that a Consultation document would be forthcoming. This was due to be released a few years ago but recently was adjourned again. Obviously a change of government had an impact on this subject.

The official statement from the Ministry of Justice for the delay on 25th July 2011 stated the following:

"The majority of bailiffs are responsible, but too many are not and this cannot be allowed to continue. We will publish our consultation as soon as we have exhausted our exploration of all the issues in order to ensure the proposale we develop are thorough and will provide the clarity and protection that both debtors and creditors needs, as well as the bailiff industry itself"

All bailiffs know that in working as a bailiff that they must abide by Paragrph 10 of the Distress for Rent Rules 1988 which provides the following:

"No person shall be entitled to charge, or recover from a tenant any fees, charges or expenses for levying a distress or for doing any act or thing in relation thereto, other than those authorised by the tables in Appendix 1 to these Rules"

Whether the bailiff is enforcing upaid council tax or a parking ticket, he knows when taking on the job that the fees that can be charged are set by Statute Law under an Act of Parliament. I would agree that the fee for "attending to levy" (where no levy is made) of £24.50 is not a lot of money for the job in hand BUT this is what the fee scale provides and the bailiff has a choice. HE DOES NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE JOB. It is that SIMPLE.

Take for instance the scenario that any one us us took a position of employment working at (for instance) Mc Donald's or another fast food restaurant earning £6 per hour. This would not be enough to survive on. Therefore, can you imagine what would happen if we charged another £1 to every customer we served. That would be theft and if disovered, we would be arrested and convicted.

Since the recession, it is now almost routine for bailiffs to charge an "enforcement fee" to each account when visiting a property for unpaid council tax. Typically this is for approx £150-£200 PER CUSTOMER!!! The statutory regulations do NOT provide for such a fee. Is this "theft".... I would say so.

Once this programme is aired I would not be at all surprised to see that bailiff companies or their governing bodies attempt to say that the fault with bailiffs overcharging or acting aggressively lay entirely with the Ministry of Justice for failing to implement the Tribunals Court and Enforcement Act 2007 and that the current fee scale is neither clear, simple or easy to understand !! In other words......lay the blame on someone else.

See the link below for a copy of the July Newsletter on bailiffs:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?315154-CAG-Newsletter.-Bailiff-tactics-!!!

• Haha 1

I bet the bailiffs that have been caught out have been at it for years...part of the highly trained bailiffs we here so much about, any further bets they have been "sacked" with a good hand out and all the baillif companies will trot out they had new rotten apples in their barrel that they did not know about, then they will write to all their clients to say its now sorted......and all the Councils will say ok thats all right then????????????

I do not claim to be psychic nor do I have insider information...........I just base my theory on having seen and heard it all before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WD

I agree with this. However in some cases there must be more than 1 bad apple & in the case of 1 company I believe there is a whole orchard of them. It seems incredible there is this one Company who have Bailiffs all over the country who all appear to work the to same pattern. This makes me think the Senior bad apple has taught all the rest, if that is the case then the whole lot should be got shot of.

There is a truth test for this and I believe a guy called William had a good idea although he wouldn't "Tell" you. I'll offer to play William and those who are willing to face me with bow in hand - Mrs PT tells me I couldn't hit the barn door if I sat on the latch - those that survive can stay and those that don't - well that'll be another story.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with this. However in some cases there must be more than 1 bad apple & in the case of 1 company I believe there is a whole orchard of them. It seems incredible there is this one Company who have Bailiffs all over the country who all appear to work the to same pattern. This makes me think the Senior bad apple has taught all the rest, if that is the case then the whole lot should be got shot of.

There is a truth test for this and I believe a guy called William had a good idea although he wouldn't "Tell" you. I'll offer to play William and those who are willing to face me with bow in hand - Mrs PT tells me I couldn't hit the barn door if I sat on the latch - those that survive can stay and those that don't - well that'll be another story.

PT

I think I will fire up the hi-fi and go listen to that Rossini Overture that was purloined for the Lone Ranger, We need one of those to sort out these nomarks...

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Blimey, this thread was only started by Bankfodder yesterday and has already received nearly 1,000 viewers.......

This must be a subject that is of great importance !!!

It will certainly focus their collective minds when the programme exposes the devious and duplicitous nature of these bailiffs and what power they don't actually have but like to pretend they do until they are caught out robbing some unfortunate blind with fees.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Keep an eye on this thread, it will be announced as soon as. :)

One to set to record imho

Blimey, this thread was only started by Bankfodder yesterday and has already received nearly 1,000 viewers.......

This must be a subject that is of great importance !!!

I believe it is. The Bailiff articles featured in the Special Focus Newsletters were well received.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Please tweet this thread :)

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

31st October is my birthday what a pressi looks like i will be staying sober so i can watch it

Set the programme to record, and enjoy your birthday hallow, secure in the knowledge that the bailiffs will be most unhappy, that day. Perhaps a nice binding spell on a couple of them to prevent them doing harm?

I wonder how many Bailiffs will be out and about on 1st November after the showing of the programme?

Probably all of them, after all are they not without scruple, and entirely shameless, blinded by their avarice and greed for sometimes dodgy fees? :-x

Having not long ago finished watching a repeated series of 'Bailiffs' which made them look like saints, it will be great to see an honest, fly on the wall documentary about them. Having just won a court battle against my local bailiffs and council, it will be interesting to see which firm it is. Most are pretty unprofessional in my experience.

Having not long ago finished watching a repeated series of 'Bailiffs' which made them look like saints, it will be great to see an honest, fly on the wall documentary about them. Having just won a court battle against my local bailiffs and council, it will be interesting to see which firm it is. Most are pretty unprofessional in my experience.

Have you put details on here? please add a link