Aggressive dog attacks!

pugilist
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The situation is as follows: couple of times when I was running in the park a sheep-dog attacked me. It didn't bite, but rushed towards me aggressively barking. It was really scaring and I had to stop immediately. The same dog attacked my gilfriend in the same. It did it twice. Today it happened for the second time. My girlfriend told the owner of the dog to restrain her dog. The old woman told that she didn't have to do so, but would do it only as a gesture of good will...:jaw:

My gf told her that she must look after her dog at all times. Then the old woman started call her stupid and so on and so forth.

So, I'd like to ask you where and how can I complain. I have no name of the owner and no picture of her and her dog. But they are regulars in that park and I'll be able to do the pics soon.

Hi Pugilist,

Always a dilemma this, as on the one hand the dog is probably just going OTT to protect the old lady and "herd" you away, and may be her only companion and reason to get out of the house, but on the other hand it is very intimidating, and without knowing what the dog's character is like, potentially dangerous.

I keep my dog on a lead and only let him loose when no one else is around. It infuriates me when I leash MY dog if I see someone else approaching, and they let theirs run free to attack my dog.

It's down to courtesy and good manners initially.

The first step would be to speak to the old lady if possible and tell her very reasonably that the dog is frightening you and your girl friend and that unless she keeps it under control in future you will have to no alternative but report it to the authorities. Tell her that the law states that a dog is classed as dangerously out of control if "it behaves in a way that makes a person believe it might injure them".

Might even be an idea to print out a letter to this effect to give to her if you see her, together with a copy of the Defra leaflet attached.

Depending on your local authority, either the Police or Police/Dog Warden jointly have authority in dealing with offenders.

I would contact your local dog warden for advice..if they have a quiet word with her about keeping the dog leashed it might do the trick. I'm sure no one would want her to lose her companion, so I'd take a soft approach at first, tbh.

If all else fails then a call to the Police is your next option, as obviously you should not be in a position of being at risk of being bitten.

Elsa x

pb13573-dogs-law-you-leaflet-080515.pdf

Elsa, thank you very much for such a substantial answer! I'll compose a letter and print it out together with the liflet you attrached. But I recon the lady would not even think about taking anything from my hands. She's really not a very nice person to talk to. But I'll definetely do my best to "take a soft approach".

Good to try soft approach first xx

Then if ignored police, my daughter was bit by a golden labrador that was routinely let to run free from leash, on third occassion of this dog going near my daugter it bit and to be honest the owner was destraught and said never happend before. Probably true but if still feel uncomfortable after soft approach deffo be harder with her xx

Yes we elderly ladies can be worse than a pit bull lol, my Westie is kept on a lead at all times in public places unless we are in the park and there is no one around. He's a softie and loves kids and they love him cos he's white & fluffy but I'd never let him jump up at them, he is after all a terrier and can be very excitable and could possibly give a playful nip which of course would be very distressing for a tiny.

I really do not have any time for dog owners who let their dogs run loose in public when there are other people around it's totally irresponsible, also I hate people who never clean up after their dogs, disgusting.

sounds like a poorly trained dog, it probably pulls on the lead as well (big dog, lots of power + little old lady = oap being dragged along pavement) might be why she's so objected to keeping it on the leash longer than it has to be. I have 3 dogs that are never on their lead but they are always under control even when other dogs or people approach they will carry on walking at my side looking at me. the woman just needs to do one or two obedience classes and she wouldn't have this problem

• 3 weeks later...

I'm quite interisted by this thread, I came across it by chance and am quite glad that I did. For some stupid reason the council in the local towns have decided to erect gates at the enterence to each back street. Oh my word. The problems this has caused is rediculous. I predicted what would happen when they announced their plans. People are now treating the back street as an extention to their own yard, woth kids rubbish and dogs galore. Apart from the dog mess I'm worried about the dogs themselves. I love dogs but after being attacked I'm afraid of dogs I don't know. I opened my back gate the other day to put my bin out to be met with a growling pug type thing. Now I am not discriminitory with my fear, it could be anything timy or tall and I'd be petrified. I had to go and get my OH to go and put the bin out. I'm very concerned that these dogs will start to see the back street as their territory and anybody they don't recognise as a target/threat and cause an attack. It turns out this mut belongs to my next door neighbour who we have endless problems with (but that's another story). There was nobody on the backstreet with this dog when it was growling at me, it seems they are opening their gates and letting kids/muts run wild. Any advice peeps? I have read the leaflet above (thanks for that) and am considering reporting it to the council. I have spoke to others on the street opposite who are having the same problem with our shared back street.

Mungy Pup

I want to live in a world where chickens are free to cross the road without their intentions being questioned. :razz:

• 2 weeks later...

Pugilist - bet you a pound to a dollar its a border collie? Well, how dare you run in the park? And if you must do it, then you must do it as this dog dictates! It must have order and method when things are running around him. You are simply not doing what you are told, and he is telling you so. I suggest you and your girlfriend run closely together, in a straight line, unless the dog requires you to go right or left (he'll let you know don't worry!). When he wants you to stop he'll block your path and look at you like he means it, and don;t be thinking he's grinning at you - he's showing his teeth slightly. Don't go slowing down now will you, unless he's given you permission. If you do he may nip the back of your leg to keep you moving ....... AND THEN IT BECOMES UNFUNNY AND DANGEROUS in the eyes lf the law.

Suggest to the old lady that she makes her border obsessed with something other than badly behaved two legged beings, like a tennis ball. And if she cannot do this then she must keep him on a lead. Because one day someone who is not such an obvious softie as yourself will be rounded up by this dog, get nipped, and then they'll be heartbreak all round. Buy her a pack of tennis balls (3 for a £1 in ASDA!) and then she'll probably soften up a bit. Us border owners can be a bit "like that" because we know you don;t understand our particular breed - and why should you? However, stop and chat to us about our pride and joy and you then get a good friend!

Borders are fantastic dogs, I wouldn;t have anything else, but they require dedication, plenty of physical exercise, but above all, mental stimulation like you wouldn't believe. Then again, these guys form a bond with their owners like you wouldn;t believe as well. Taz is a maniac when out playing ball with me, but he is a maniac with the ball and nothing else (well sometimes he's naughty with other dogs until they put him in his place!) and I've taught him to move out of the way for both cylists and runners. Good as gold, and it is simple to teach borders this sort of thing, whatever age they are. He has several elderly friends in our road (humans) and I let him off the lead and charge at them when we see them - its a game, he just charges, then sits gently at their feet! That is the polite way for a dog to greet a human, the charging is just a game, the old dears encourage it - as he's charging at them his backside and tail is waggling like mad!

Mungypup, (and Elsa might agree here) the dogs who now have free run of the gated areas now see this as their territory, just as if it were their gardens. If you have several dogs in one gated area they will likely form a sort of pack and hence there will be a pecking order. It doesn't mean they will attack you, but they'll make a lot of noise when you go near their "territory". And if you are naturally nervous of dogs because of being bitten previously, this is no help to you. Has anyone thought of putting a letter about amongst the neighbours pointing out that some people are nervous of dogs, and could these dogs be confined to their back gardens? Gently point out that anyone could be nipped, postie, milkman, anyone. I would make you walk through several of these dog filled gated areas with me, teach you to ignore the bloody dogs, and get you over your fear! Cos I know the dogs might be barking, but its mostly nerves, just like your nerves! Mind you, I do know how much a dog bite hurts as well!

I do hope both of you get this sorted. Remember, its never the dogs fault, always the owner, and when the DDA get thrown into the mix there is always trouble. .

• 2 weeks later...

It doesnt sound as if the dog is aggressive but that it is merely herding - a natural instinct... That's no consolation to you though is it?

Yes, the way to get a border collie type dog is to turn its attention to "herding" something else - a tennis ball is a great idea as Jackieandwayne points out.

The problem is that people tend not to realise how this behaviour can upset others - which is very insensitive. Collies are very easy to train so it would be easy to have this dog tuned into a tennis ball. Then it would be the owner who was constantly having to deal with the dog - picking up the ball and throwing it for him/her.

when I got my rescue collie cross he had a tendency to chase joggers - it's very common with these breeds. I was very vigilent but on the occasional times when this happened I was always very apologetic and explained that he was rescue. I did get abuse though. I always tried to keep him on a lead when we were in areas that I couldn't see around. I did get him out of this learned behaviour by focussing his attention onto a ball. He loved playing with his ball more than chasing joggers.....

I hope this is of help to you. I think the lady sounds very insensitive but she's maybe just embarrassed that she has been told off by somebody.

Good luck

Gem

there is a Staffy type round where i live, which did get a clump of hair from him, i complained to the council, but this old dog still roams....one sunday i was clearing the fire out and my dog was in the garden, he came in, as i was going out.. to my horror the Staffy had got into my back garden and obviously seen my dog coming into the the house.... i would hate to think what wouldve kicked off if it had attacked my dog (2 dogs, no leads... very dangerous).. one dog wouldve died that night, and it wouldnt have been mine.... since then, when i walk the dog, i wear a nice pai of strong boots, and twice i have to put myself in front of my dog to fend this old dog off.... numerous people has seen these atacks, and what makes this dog look bad, is my dog doesnt growl, snarl or defend but simply tries to hide behind me..... so purely unprovoked attacks.

• 2 months later...

Buy yourself a Pet Corrector, go for a jog and if the dog behaves aggressively towards you as you are trying to jog then jet it with the Pet Corrector. Not only will you be protecting yourself you'll be doing the imbecilic owner a favour by training their dog. The dog will then associate being aggressive towards joggers results in a jet of a Pet Corrector - SIMPLES :-(

I carry one with me when i'm walking my dog. I got sick of other dogs tanking up to us and trying to/attacking him. I once had some grotty druggie try and punch me (i'm a 5ft3 skinny woman) because his pitbull (yes it WAS a Pit) was running around a busy main road off its lead while he swaggered along (spliff and cheap cider) and the dog ran over the road to me and my dog and it tried to attack my poor pooch so i jetted the Pet Corrector. Got his dog off and my dog was unharmed.

As this disgusting inbred couldnt string two words together (and i can because i went to school) he didnt get very far, he tried to get violent but i started shouting at him in my lovely cockney accent and he walked away.

The situation is as follows: couple of times when I was running in the park a sheep-dog attacked me. It didn't bite, but rushed towards me aggressively barking. It was really scaring and I had to stop immediately. The same dog attacked my gilfriend in the same. It did it twice. Today it happened for the second time. My girlfriend told the owner of the dog to restrain her dog. The old woman told that she didn't have to do so, but would do it only as a gesture of good will...:jaw:

My gf told her that she must look after her dog at all times. Then the old woman started call her stupid and so on and so forth.

So, I'd like to ask you where and how can I complain. I have no name of the owner and no picture of her and her dog. But they are regulars in that park and I'll be able to do the pics soon.

Edited by funky funky frog