Employment/Work and asscioated benefits woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They can't check your bank account unless they're already in the process of a fraud investigation. And they're not doing that, because they wouldn't be sending letters like that if they were. So no, I don't think they've checked your bank account.

I agree that you should call the processing centre and ask what's happening.

Exactly, it was more of a rhetorical question.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi you need to check I had something similar just before I retired, they said they would be stopping I think £35 out of my benefit on some date and there was no right of appeal. When I checked they had got someone's loan (same name different DOB) put onto my claim. Had a hell of a fight to sort this out even though I had been into office and checked why they were stopping money and then told them I had not had a loan. Finally got the money back after 7 weeks.

dpick

Hi you need to check I had something similar just before I retired, they said they would be stopping I think £35 out of my benefit on some date and there was no right of appeal. When I checked they had got someone's loan (same name different DOB) put onto my claim. Had a hell of a fight to sort this out even though I had been into office and checked why they were stopping money and then told them I had not had a loan. Finally got the money back after 7 weeks.

dpick

This confuses me slightly. We all have NI numbers; so unless someone has pinched yours and used it to make a claim for a crisis / budgeting loan, you shouldn't be having someone elses loan on your claim.

I honestly have no idea

I've a feeling it might be me switching over to Nea, although I haven't actually switched yet. When I had an appointment last week my "advisor" half filled in the forms "ready for sign off on Tuesday". Wondering if that's the cause of the issue.

I did ask him if doing that would confuse matters but he said no.

Ah I think what has happened is you must stop claiming JSA in order to access NEA. It sounds as if you've been signed off already. I don't really know a lot about it but I think you've hit the nail on the head with your NEA x

scotgal 

It confused the pension credit people as well no entry for taking out a loan they ended up saying computer error or clerical error. The computer error would not surprise me with the problems they keep having with the computer systems and that's from a retired computer programmer.

dpick

Why do you make of the loan? I'm not sure if I want to take it.

I'm officially signing off on Tuesday. Their making me sign on as normal and provide proof of 40 applications that I will not be taking, then come back in the afternoon to sign off. They like to make it difficult dont they?]

Had a reply for my complaint about the advisor, they've completely ignored concerns raised and just told me the rules. For some reason they waffle on about rapid reclaims?!

Applying for the "loan" is not mandatory. BUT, it does make good business sense. How will self-employment (your business) succeed if you don't have any working capital, money for Public Liability Insurance, PR and marketing, etc? Especially when moving from JSA to self-employment. Even if you don't use it initially, you can squirrel it away as a cushion .... just in case you are ill and can't work -so no earnings - or have unexpected expenses? Put it aside to pay your first year's tax, NI (Class 4) and Class 2 if appropriate. The interest payment is only £9/pcm so well worth it, especially when banks are so relunctant to lend to people who are unemployed.

If your ready to sign off, your business plan will have been approved and signed off, so you'll know exactly how much you need to invest in your new business and what your cashflow projections are. If you can manage without the start-up grant, if might have been prudent to have just gone straight into self-employment when you had the chance and avoided having to jump through DWP hoops.

I've been ill since mid-last week and haven't been able to complete my business plan, so probably won't sign off now for another week or so but have already had my JSAg changed so that I can concentrate on activity related to my new business. This will be active for up to 8 weeks until the business is ready to start properly. I don't quite understand why your JSAg hasn't been changed to reflect this.

According to Blue Orchid, 85% of their start-up businesses succeed compared to 25% of those who go it alone. (They get paid for good results.) Despite being familiar with accounts, etc and having been self-employed before, I'm going to take full advantage of all their free workshops on accounts and tax, social media networking, and make sure my new business has the best possible start.

This is definitely the most positive service that the DWP has offered to date. 17 people attended the course last week, from across the board. Great networking opportunity, great advice and motivation, and this is just the start.

If anyone has the passion, a good business idea and the ability, it really is a great way to be independent and be self-employed. Everyone at the course wanted to do something different: setting up a gluten-free cake business, an equine therapy business, market trader, taxi driver, retailer, DIYer, consultant, furniture renovator, ATOS appeals adviser, painter and decorator, multi-lingual tour guide. There was scope for all sorts of levels of ability/skills/age.

Good luck with your self-employment.

Imp :-D

On Monday, you should be able to fill in a nil income form for HB and CTB and then when you get NEA, you can show them the award letter.

These letters are computer generated, which unless you know in advance (ie, you stopped the claim yourself) that your benefits are stopping, is a right pain.

I've secured 24 hours a week self employed but I also have a few hours from being employed, my wage from which will pay for my insurance.

Also starting university in September to me being self employed is merely propping me up a bit, the bonus being I won't be liable for tax.

I have no intention of advertising or anything like that, that why she rushed me through the process, it's fairly simple for me.

:)

The no jobs centre have said its been suspended because I didn't give a payslip, I've told them a million times I'm paid monthly and I am incapable of time travel!

Plus when I first started my money wasn't suspended and the form was given in without a payslip!

The benefit centre can accept your B7, however if you are due to receive your wage and it may affect payment of your JSA then a suspension is placed on the claim until the payslip is provided.

We see it an awful lot in our office but as we are front facing staff and not hidden behind a phone we get the blame and abuse :(

Well done!! I should have been signed off yesterday but too poorly to complete my business plan. Should be finished by the weekend, then can re-arrange meetings and, if approved, sign off too!!! Good feeling!

Now I can go from all working 40-50 hours a week on my business (oops, I mean under 16 hours/week) to working non-stop From the sublime to the ridiculous. Roll on freedom!

Imp :-)

So I should of been paid last week, wasn't paid, a mistake was made yada yada.

I've today been paid in cash, with no payslip, and money deducted for "tax and national insurance".

I don't pay tax or ni because I don't earn enough, under 170 per week.

Im i the only one who thinks this Is dodgy?

NI is applied when you earn above the LEL (lower earnings limit) which is about £109, tax is payable when you've earned over your tax free pay (tax code). I doubt you've earned enough for tax but possibly liable for NI

scotgal 

You are legally entitled to a payslip that is itemised and details all deductions and earnings. They cant simply pay in cash and tell you to bugger off.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for clarifying. Ill get onto head office tomorrow about the payslip. But yeah he did basically say bugger off!

Does £40 ish in national insurance on a monthly wage of 180 sound right?!

Definitely not. The lower earnings limit for NI is a weekly wage of £149. Your weekly wage is £45 (ish) based on a monthly salary of £180, so you should pay no contributions at all!

Assuming £180 a MONTH as stated above is a typo and you earn £180 a WEEK, then you should pay 12% of earnings above the weekly LEL of £149, so 12% of £31 = £3.72. Around £15 a month, so still wrong.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!