Employment/Work and asscioated benefits woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3012 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I could always counter claim of they tried. Just had this conversation:

"The site has no fax machine email will have to suffice.

We cannot accept stock orders by email, it has to be faxed"

There is no fax machine, would you like me to go and buy one and bill you for it"

How can you reason with that!!!?

Looks like ill be starting the other job Monday hopefully.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Orchard are driving me mad. They keep phoning me to try and get me to come to "networking meetings". I've told her tice now I don't need it. I have three jobs and have just started a law degree!! yet she insists on phoning me, 3 times since Friday and two voicemails! is there some sort of payment in it for them?

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY!!!! Business plan has been approved by Blue Orchid - almost a week after I actually started up my own business and I'm no longer unemployed :-) WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I've signed a lease on a shop unit for an initial period of 3 months ........ and I'm selling my own hand-made crafts and those of other independent designer-makers on a commission basis. My new shop is called Kitsch Krafts @ the Post Office and it's just outside Chester. Oh Happy Days!!! :-)

To all of those who feel they have the skills and are willing to take a risk, go for it!!!! My initial outlay for the shop has been £2.50 for a sheet of card to make a temporary sign, a ream of tissue wrapping paper and a week's rent in advance ............ it's all fallen beautifully into place :-)

So much better being my own boss again!

Imp :-)

Sounds good. I like being self employed. Hoping I will still be able to once my working tax credits for the teens stop. By then Universal credit will have kicked in & I think i'll be lucky to scrape the £250 a week income in but we'll see nearer the time. But it is rather handy being self employed, even with the long hours!

impecunious, if you need any crochet items give me a shout, I do a bit of knitting too but I am far more of a crocheter.

I am doing the odd bit of work now and again as my illness permits, but have today received the ATOS form.... getting help from my nephew with this as he deals with them regularly, his favourite question was.

q. How did your illness happen...

a. I fell off a mountain (he did, near Chamonix in the Alps, same week Natasha Richardson had her fatal fall).

He wasn't drunk, wasn't on any drugs and just went out first in a pack of 20 people, first over what was a small 3ft jump but turned into a 30ft drop due to an overnight landslide.... luckily he survived and is on crutches for the rest of his life.

Blue orchard are still harassing me, I've had to block the number!! They keep asking me if I want to come to "a free networking event". I've told them four times now I have three jobs, a law degree, and 12 animals to be getting along with!!! But they still phone me! Then I got a snotty ish email off them "we require your support in some paperwork", wish they'd bugger off!!! I told her to send me whatever she needs and she said "can I call you" NO I'm inna three hour law lecture then work!!!!!

I would then contact the local police and say you are being threatened by this lot, who have no connections with you, have NOT helped you in your present situation and are making you feel very anxious every time the phone rings.

They may say it is a civil matter, in which case you ask them 'What part of DO NOT CONTACT ME should they need in writing, which they already have had, and what part of the Telecommunications Act would you like me to quote to get some action on this harrassment."

• 2 weeks later...

Also when applying for a job on the universal job match website, how come it won't let you download a different CV as I've just appied for two jobs and when i clicked on the cv I wanted the correct one wasn't sent. I know you are only allowed to have 5 CVs stored but what happens if you want to delete one of them as the CV would've be sent to the employer/agency after you have applied for the job.

Also when applying for a job on the universal job match website, how come it won't let you download a different CV as I've just appied for two jobs and when i clicked on the cv I wanted the correct one wasn't sent. I know you are only allowed to have 5 CVs stored but what happens if you want to delete one of them as the CV would've be sent to the employer/agency after you have applied for the job.

Hi Louise. Can I ask, why would you need more than 1 CV?

Cheers.

Also when applying for a job on the universal job match website, how come it won't let you download a different CV as I've just applied for two jobs and when i clicked on the cv I wanted the correct one wasn't sent. I know you are only allowed to have 5 CVs stored but what happens if you want to delete one of them as the CV would've be sent to the employer/agency after you have applied for the job.

For technical questions, I'd grill the JCP adviser that mandated me to use the system - Make 'em squirm :madgrin:

In the meantime, I'd apply directly with the CV I want to send.

Can I ask, why would you need more than 1 CV?
One would usually tailor the opening statement to suit the vacancy and perhaps emphasise certain hobbies/interests or skill set. Some sectors expect CVs to be in a certain style, whilst others will want to see a different format. Then there are the jobs that you have been mandated to apply for, and you know you have a cat in hells chance (wrong location, bad pay/conditions, or not qualified), in which case, default to the baseline version. Edited by Mr.P

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hi Louise. Can I ask, why would you need more than 1 CV?

Cheers.

There's a school of thought that says you should tailor your CV for particular vacancies, or at least for particular types of job.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I've got a CV for admin roles and one for Purchase Ledger roles.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I mean. If I apply for an IT job I would want to focus on a different set of skills than those I'd highlight if I was applying for an admin or Civil Service role.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Just don't use UJM, just upload a basic CV with obfuscated details. Use Indeed.co.uk instead, but don't log in. Just follow the links to the vacancy and apply on company website. A colleague has created a fake employer profile on UJM. It's scary!

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to get onto this scheme for weeks now. I simply enquired one day about going self employed and claiming WTC and the advisor this day happened to be very helpful and encouraging and booked me an appointment for this scheme I had never heard of before. The guy was happy to sign me up for it, but since I had just resigned on after working a short period I was required to wait 13 weeks. Then he found a caveat, or so he thought and signed me on to the scheme as my postcode fell within the Scottish Index Of Multiple Deprivation. So I was all set to go on to it in two weeks when the next day i receive a call saying that his SIMD was out of date and my postcode now fell outwith and so I could no longer go on to it.

So I have waited patiently until now, did my job search etc. and last week I got the go ahead from the company to start and was told to speak with my advisor about it who had the paperwork. Instead of speaking with him, he was off I ended up speaking with another advisor who then told me she couldn't sing me on because I had missed an appointment that I had no recollection off, or had been told about. So I was facing another sanction (this time 13 weeks) on the eve of going into this scheme, and after some time banging my head against a wall and arguing with the staff I called in the branch manager and explained what had happened and so she went ahead and cut me some slack and over ruled the advisor's decision to refer my claim to a decision maker.

So I though great, now it's all systems go again and finally I can start this. The next day I contacted my advisor and spoke to him who then started telling me that I would be better off trying to obtain a loan through my bank, which is government funded. I said I was considering this on top of the scheme but since I don't know anything about running my own business I would like to go on the scheme anyway and he basically said that I can either apply for a loan, in which case he wouldn't be recommending me for the scheme, or alternatively if the bank refuses a loan then I still coudn't go on it as it wouldn't then be deemed a viable business plan. Either way, I couldn't go on it. I got a bit angry with him at which point he said- well if that's your attitude then.... etc.

I left, and then came back in later and called the branch manager again and explained my situation and as off this week she will be over looking the procedure and I have to wait until he speak with the company holding the scheme to find out if I can go on it or not now. As far as the company are concerned they are more than willing to take me on and told me that they have never in 5 years of doing this encountered any problems like this.

So yeah, to add to this thread the knob centre (depending on who you deal with it seems) do nothing to encourage you or help towards self employment and seem to be going out of their way to place obstacles in my way. If I do get to go on it I have no reason to think they won't try and find another way to sanction me before I start.

Anyone got any advice for on this matter? I'm really getting sick of that place it's an absolute joke.

I've been trying to get onto this scheme for weeks now.

Anyone got any advice for on this matter? I'm really getting sick of that place it's an absolute joke.

If you start self-employment you have to be really committed. And then the bureaucracy is something else.

But still the hardest thing is actually getting the work.

We actually call it the Obstacle Race. It is really bloody difficult. I found premises the hardest bit. I started working for home and I did not earn enough to rent out an office. My home wasn't big enough.

If you start self-employment you have to be really committed. And then the bureaucracy is something else.

But still the hardest thing is actually getting the work.

We actually call it the Obstacle Race. It is really bloody difficult. I found premises the hardest bit. I started working for home and I did not earn enough to rent out an office. My home wasn't big enough.

I never considered this before but it was presented to me by a very helpful advisor one day when I was enquiring about going onto WTC. I'm thinking about becoming a professional (ie. living making) artist because as I have discovered recently I'm quite good at it. I might not be the first person anyone would pay but one thing I can boast about is I've had one thing on display in an exhibition in San francisco along side more than a hundred very well known designers. If I can do that then I can do anything I think. Yes I am committed but I can't make people pay me money for my services no matter what I do. I just want to be able to work myself regardless of my status or how much I earn instead of agencies. Seriously, everyone is out to rob you these days- actual robbers, agencies, companies, the government. I just want to stand in between the money and the *ankers at the top who have the right to break into your house and rob you of 'their' share if necessary. I can't do that on my own, I need expert guidance through this scheme. I was given the chance to do it so now I want to do it if it's still there. Otherwise to hell with the system I've seriously had enough of it all! You go to earn an honest wage, then you come home only to find there are still rules that you must abide by in your own home, and then you go to sleep and get wakened at 4 in the morning by a multitude of potential things. I was fighting fit a few years ago but had to quit my job and now I'm not any more and i really hate the world and the system for that. I have played fair with it all my life and this is how it treats me.

I never considered this before but it was presented to me by a very helpful advisor one day when I was enquiring about going onto WTC. I'm thinking about becoming a professional (ie. living making) artist because as I have discovered recently I'm quite good at it. I might not be the first person anyone would pay but one thing I can boast about is I've had one thing on display in an exhibition in San francisco along side more than a hundred very well known designers. If I can do that then I can do anything I think. Yes I am committed but I can't make people pay me money for my services no matter what I do. I just want to be able to work myself regardless of my status or how much I earn instead of agencies. Seriously, everyone is out to rob you these days- actual robbers, agencies, companies, the government. I just want to stand in between the money and the *ankers at the top who have the right to break into your house and rob you of 'their' share if necessary. I can't do that on my own, I need expert guidance through this scheme. I was given the chance to do it so now I want to do it if it's still there. Otherwise to hell with the system I've seriously had enough of it all! You go to earn an honest wage, then you come home only to find there are still rules that you must abide by in your own home, and then you go to sleep and get wakened at 4 in the morning by a multitude of potential things. I was fighting fit a few years ago but had to quit my job and now I'm not any more and i really hate the world and the system for that. I have played fair with it all my life and this is how it treats me.

I expect I have been through it all.

I got my first regular contract before I started though. I did not have the nerve to give myself a trade name(s) until I actually had regular money coming in. Then when I was legitimately earning (not making a profit) I reinvested all my earnings into the business and lived on the money paid to me in grants (which was exactly the same as JSA). The Government were happy because I was off the unemployment register.

After a year the grants wore out and I still as wasn't making a profit. I had to sign back on to pay the rent. Then my main contractor went bankrupt and it crashed just as I had reinvested because a profit was just beginning to show.

The upshot was that it was always a struggle because I was underfinanced. I also worked 60 hours a week right into the middle of the night. It is not easy.

I NEVER paid for advice or publicity. I did pay people for work, for printing and such-like. Always after the job was done. I was always impeccably straight and never took a single short cut. I got paid by cheque, declared everything and claimed for everything as well. That includes electricity (then not now) and telephone. But not rent because Housing Benefit paid for that.

You don't always need money to make money. Mostly you do, but I'm gearing myself into thinking that anyway.

Whatever I do in my life it always seems end in failure. The system is fialed. One last try, if it all goes tits up then at least I get to sack someone as opposed to the other way round- me.

You don't always need money to make money. Mostly you do, but I'm gearing myself into thinking that anyway.

Whatever I do in my life it always seems end in failure. The system is fialed. One last try, if it all goes tits up then at least I get to sack someone as opposed to the other way round- me.

Money was made through selling my skills to the public rather than working for a boss. Tools where just a computer, premises (home), electrical supply and a telephone. I had to pay for materials (e.g. printing costs). I wasn't doing it for the money.

I did it because I wanted to. When I had my mid-life crisis it was not because I had not fulfilled my dreams, but because my premises were naff. But that was another story.

I did work for five years in a job I hated just for the money though. Saved like mad. And left before I went mad.

Sensible people would have got another job before they left, but there was a bad clash of personalities and I couldn't deal with it. I should have gone to the Union about work bullying, but I did not know the score back then.

I think I would go to the Careers Advice site if I was you.

I had not the foggiest what I wanted to do and then something came up.

Edited by Perseus1