postggj gets a dvla summons for failing to notify new keeper/ get real * CASE WITHDRAWN**

postggj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well done post.. I will add to your title to reflect this success for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would confirm with the courts that the case has been withdrawn before jumping for joy. The sneaky wotnots might just be saying that it's withdrawn, you fail to turn up and they win - synical or what!

Frederickson - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - Lost - Claiming back from post office

Connaught Collections - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - No Agreement - returned to client

Lowell - CCA sent 11/4/07 - No agreement - returned to client

Moorcroft - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - No Agreement - returned to client

Red Castle - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - Copy returned but no T&C's

Robinson Way - CCA Sent 16/5/07

I fought the DVLA at the Portsmouth County Court along with Peek at Horsham County Court and we both beat the DVLA on the following statement " The DVLA do not have Statutary Power to require anyone to contact them if they do not receive a reciept". I think you may have gone beyond this but the DVLA will fail at this point. I did attend the court on my own whereas the DVLA had a brief but it still failed. My case was Carter-White v The Secratery of State for Transport case ID 9PO04250. Im just an ordinary guy who hates getting screwed by the State/DVLA/Any other smuck. Good Luck

Awesome stuff... think I might need to use this soon as I have an invitation to court too. Did you reply to the invitation or just turn up?

Send back the summons to dvla stating you are not guilty

then tick the box stating you require the prosecutor to be there to cross examine

just before the court date, dvla will phone you, stick to yur guns and the case will prob be withdrawn

this sinario has been in courts up and down the country and dvla are loosing most of the time

they dont want to much publicity

"tick the box stating you require the prosecutor to be there to cross examine"

When you say prosecutor, do you mean the witness as on the form in your first post - the prosecutor will be in court doing the prosecuting.

Depending on what is in the witness statement, it may or may not be necessary for them to attend as their evidence may not make any difference to the defence.

Not my field at all, but:-

If (as!) this happens regularly, knowing they will withdraw at any challenge and knowing their allegations are on the flawed premise of claiming exemption from the Interpretations Act and willl fail, could the DVLA be charged with something like mis-using or abuse of the Court process ?

been down this road

the person named, bringing the allegation can be requisitioned to appear in court just like they did to me

the person bringing the allegation can be made to face the accused

magna carta

British constitution

etc

etc

well i would get him to explain the legislation

interpretations act

statute legislation

previous cases with case numbers of judges who have thrown out these prosecutions and how dvla interpret the flawed legislation

It could depend on what his evidence was, if it was only that he had checked the records and found no trace of your document, it would have little or no bearing on your defence - the Interpretation Act etc. (they may not know anything about it), it would be more of a question for the person who authorised the prosecution (D Atkins, in your first post) - especially if you had been in correspondence with them.

ill try and explain this in clear english

dvla are well aware of the flaws in the vehicle excise and registration act

they continue to prosecute knowing full well there is no legal reason in the statute legislation for them to continue with said prosecutions

the prosecution dept for dvla are well aware of this, yet they continue

THE EVIDENCE THAT DVLA RELY ON IS FLAWED UNDER CURRENT STATUTE LEGISLATION FOR WHICH THEY ARE AWARE OF

I know that, but it depends what evidence the witness would have given, which would have been what was in their statement, if it was only that they had checked the records and found no trace of your document they may well be the office worker who just check records and have never heard of the Interpretation Act, let alone the implications for the DVLA, and it would have been pointless questioning them about it at court.

Which is why you would have wanted the person who authorised the prosecution - D Atkins, they would be the one who would be aware of the Interpretation Act, the implications and why DVLA ignore them.

i can see your point but

MR POOLE SIGNED THE WITNESS STATEMENT

FOR WHICH THE COURT WOULD RELY ON THAT WITNESS STATEMENT AS A STATEMENT OF FACT AND THE PERSON BEHIND THAT STATEMENT NEEDS TO BE CONVERSANT WITH THE STANDING STATUTE LEGISLATION

AT THE END OF THE DAY

THEY DID NOT WANT TO PLAY THE GAME

GAME OVER

RESULT IN THE END, THATS:-) WHAT COUNTS

A witness can only give evidence, in a statement or orally, of what they know - it may or may not involve their knowledge of statute.

It is up to the person dealing with the prosecution at court to know about the legislation involved, that is the person to have a go at.

Edited by Raykay

RESULT IN THE END, THATS:-) WHAT COUNTS

For you as an individual, no doubt. And I am pleased for you.

But many here are interested in putting an end to this abuse and intimidation by a British Government Agency to continuously, wrongly pressurise payments from innocent members of the public who have done nothing wrong - except to expose the inefficiency of that very Agency !

As an aside - have you submitted a claim for your costs and time in the matter?

Unsigned statement of intention.

Do you trust them?

They wouldn't - would they?

Maybe. They do lie to dishonestly obtain money, as we all know from reading this Forum.

Why has this not come through the Court ?

OK, i know i should have replied to mind sooner to my 'summons' but ive been to scared to even look at it. I suffer from mental illnesses and am SO SO scared about this situation. I am due to apear in court on July 5th and received my 'summons' on 25th March 2011.Its exactly the same as yours, i sent the V5 but they are saying they didnt receive it.... I got a fine, wrote to them and told them i had sent it and they replied 3 months later with this summons.

Ive not done anything about it because ive been to scared. I dont have a penny to my name, please... you seem like you know what your taking about, could you please give me some advice?

Samuel

if this is a magistrates summons then send it back to the prosecutor by ticking the box with the intention to defend in full, tick the box also tick the box stating a request for the prosecutor to turn up.

dvla wil phone just before the court date, refuse to state your dfense etc, just say you will argue it out in front of the magistrate.

dvla will then withdraw the summons.

just put your phone number on the form. dvla ask for your national insurance number, income and expenditure.

just ignore them, only include your phone number

• 4 months later...

Hi there postggj,

Just wanted to congratulate you on your quest against the DVLA. I recently received the exact same letter you posted in your thread and thought I would ask your advice.

I also feel obliged to offer some kind of payment for any advice received as you have obviously done a solid amount of research in the field and I would not want to abuse this in any way.

My situation is the following:

In September 2010 I sent my V5 document off and never received any formal notification this had been received. As this was the first car I had owned I had no experience or knowledge that I should receive a notification from the DVLA.

Obviously I had posted it first class and not recorded delivery I have no proof that I had sent it. I previously worked for the US government and was out of the country for a great deal of last year and received only one letter of the penalty. I rang there office and the man was very unhelpful and told me if I wished to contest it I would have to go to court and promptly hung up on me!

Now I have the 'Requisition' letter with a court date for 03/01/2012 and was wondering how to respond?

Any help would be massively appreciated and please feel free to contact me on this forum!

A huge thanks once again,

Yours sincerely

JoeP

• 3 weeks later...

Am going to Court on Friday 9th Dec to argue my case against the DVLA. Transferred car to finance company in March2011 company deemed to be a 'trader'

sent off v5c by 1st class post as required. owing to pressure of work and failing domestic situation NOT GETTING an acknowledgement letter from DVLA was last thing on my mind.

Apparently they sent me a penalty noticw in July which I didnt receive therefore couldnt reply to it. DVLA now taking me to court for failing to notify.

Spoke to DVLA told them I wanted an adjournment to prepare a defence and to appeal against the penalty/fine/offer of out of court settlement figure. I have since been informed that my appeal has been denied.

Rang DVLA told them I was going to defend the charge against me using

1.Interpretation Act1978 (letter posted therefore deemed to be delivered)

2. Convention for the Protection of human rights (Innocent till proven guilty)

3.Road vehicle regs 2002 (requirement to send off v5c)

Collins vs Sec of State for Transport .......Collins won using interpretation act

Strangely at the end of the conversation the guy from DVLA said in that case tell the prosecutor all that before you go in to court and that will probably be an end to the matter. mmmmmmmmm well I'll have to wait till Friday

Info for anyone else out there in the same boat

DVLA raised £1.9M from these failure to notify penalties in 2008/9

however they are proud that only 850 or so complaints like ours were received from which around 550 penalties were issued (and probably paid by law abiding citizens scared to go to court and fight it out..cant say i blame them) they are also proud tha this only 0.0015% of their mail input. fine unless you are one of the 850

In a question asked in 2008 in parliament the transport minister replied that the royal mail was to blame for 75% of the missing items of identity including passports either sent to the DVLA or sent back by them I presume the other 25 % must be down to DVLA system then. He also replied that only 7000 or so oof these complaints were a matter for compensation WHAT A SHAMBLES

Strangely at the end of the conversation the guy from DVLA said in that case tell the prosecutor all that before you go in to court and that will probably be an end to the matter. mmmmmmmmm well I'll have to wait till Friday

Nothing strange about their (probable) course of action on Friday if you tell this to the prosecutor before you go in. Think about it, you may be number 4 on a list of 30 procecutions by the DVLA. The first 3 were won by default coz the defendant didn't turn up. You go in and present a solid defence which the court accepts. What do you think the result for the following 26 peole will be now that you have made the court aware of teh interpretation Act defence?

So don't you think it makes good financial sense for the DVLA to only allow undefended cases or people who haven't got a defence prepared to actually go into the court, and forgo the few 80quids that day when they find a couple of people that have seen through their [problem]?