DVLA : Lost paper license and don't know address or driver number

scotchonrocks
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4768 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just tried to renew an old (circa 1973) green paper license. The DirectUK online application requires you to provide the address on the license OR the driving license number. I can't provide either. Does anyone have a solution to this problem. If I apply with paper forms instead, will this resolve the problem. How am I to sort this out. I need to get my license renewed!

Hello and Welcome,

You could always e-mail them.........

drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi Scotch

Welcome to CAG

The guys will advise as soon as they are available.

You could try phoning them on monday to get the driving license number but you would have to provide the correct address.

Hi Guys, Thanks for initial feedback. I have lived overseas for 25 years and returned to the UK 3 years ago very ill and unable to drive. I am now fit and well again and want to drive. The original green paper license issued in 1973 was with me until November last year when I lost my wallet. I rarely looked at my license. The address on the license was my mother's address and since she'd moved around a lot, I am uncertain as to the address, though I think I know the street name - but not the number (there is a unit number involved also (I think) and so I can't just keep doing DVLA hits with every number in the street :-)

Hence I don't have my license number or address, though I may be able to provide the street name. However, I don't have absolute certainty that the address is even correct.

I really don't want to sit a driving test again. Will email DVLA with the provided address - thanks. Any other hints, tips or encouraging words would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You can calculate your driving licence number bar the last 2 letters based on your name and DOB

SSSSSYMMDDYCC9xx

S = Surname letter

Y = Year

M = Month

D = Day

C = Christian Name(s)

9 = static number 99% of the time

eg Peter John Smithers DOB 18/06/72 would be

SMITH706182PJ9xx (only the xx is unknown)

Totally exasperated. After following the advice from the two posts above, I am still stumped. On checking the phone books for 1973 and 1975, I find confusion. In 1973, the address is Flat 55 No 16 xxx. In 1975, there was obviously a mistake and the numbers are reversed - Flat 16 No 55. Going to the Royal Mail website, number 55 is a single house, number 16 only has 10 flats. I have tried all possible combinations of postcodes, flat and house numbers that could remotely correspond.

Surely in a computer age, the DVLA could find me - I have a very unique name and a google, linked-in, facebook etc, etc search only finds ME!

Does one have to rob a bank to see if they can find me? Their system seems somewhat absurd, even though I am kicking myself for not having a copy of my original license.

Will a postal application get me further in this process? How on earth can I get somewhere through their system. I am currently travelling overseas for a month and unable to call the helpdesk and I'm needing the license urgently upon return in order to rent a car.

ALL HELP MUCH APPRECIATED!

DD's suggestion of the Electoral Roll?

As soon as you return to UK visit a DVLA local office with your Passport?

That will give them (and you) all the information to work out your Driver Number and trace your records - and, importantly, proof you are that person.

Also have proof of your current UK address - Bank statement, Utility bill, etc. (you say you are away travelling so presumably have an address and such documentation).