Provident chasing old vodafone debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if you could please advise me on what to do! Years ago I got into debt with vodafone for not paying my phone bills, I have not received any letters from them in ages and a few weeks ago i had a letter from provident stating that Wescot had passed the debt onto them and they want me to repay to them. I wrote a letter to Wescot asking if I could repay them and had no reply! Then out of the blue yesterday I had a phonecall on my landline in which my mum answered from a provident collector! I am having problems at home at the moment which made the matter worse! The provident woman now wants to meet up with me on tuesday to sign an agreement to repay the debt but they want far too much money and i just cant afford it! Please help asap as i dont know what to do!!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tell them to go away

they have no legal powers

-+

and it is against the law for them to suggest you take out credit to pay off something that is not a real debt

they are trying to fleece you

if VODA wanted the money...they would have asked years ago

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thing is they are contacting me on my home phone number and as i am still living at home my parents are going mad!! If they find out what is happening they may kick me out as things arent good for me at home at the min anyway! I called the woman who called my phone phone back stating Im having problems at home and she wants to meet me on Tuesday to sign an agreement to pay the debt back! I have arranged to meet her over the road where I live so my parents dont find out!! I dont know what else to do?Any ideas?

Shall I contact WESCOT tomorrow?

How many years ago? Pity you wrote to Wescot admiting the debt, but all may not be lost. Don't make an appointment to see the provident woman, if they ring again tell them to put it in writing. Ask your parents to do the same. Get your father or mother to tell them not to use their phone to call you.

Do not contact Wescot or Provident, wait for them to write to you before you do anything.

Edited by count orlok

The debt was at least 5 years ago!

If I wrote/called you, would you start paying money just because I said so??

NO, you wouldn't. This is probably staue Barred, thats why she wants you to sign something. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING.

If she rings you again, tell her you are passing her number to the local poilce (Non urgent calls) and DO SO.

Do NOT meet her and do NOT pay her anything.

Have a look on this site for Leevodaphone, he may be able to help you.

Jogs

• Haha 1

Slow down Staci

First - you are under no obligation to meet this debt collector, so if she/he/it calls tell them to foxtrot oscar

second - send westcots a prove it letter

third - calm down and dont panic

fourth - when did you last make a payment??

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

I cant remember when the last time I made a payment because it has been so long ago! Even though I agreed to meet the woman on Tuesday she text me today askin to meet at half 4 beacuse she was in the area!

If I call her and refuse to meet can she come to my house? Also what do you mean by ' send WESCOT a prove it letter'!

Thanks all for the quick replies! Im so worried!

Hi, I had a mobile phone contract with Vodafone many years ago and I ran up a debt with them and passed on my debt to WESCOT! I have not heard from them in years and out of the blue had a letter from Provident saying that they have the debt and want me to pay it off with them! Any ideas what to do?

I cant remember when the last time I made a payment because it has been so long ago! Even though I agreed to meet the woman on Tuesday she text me today askin to meet at half 4 beacuse she was in the area!

If I call her and refuse to meet can she come to my house? Also what do you mean by ' send WESCOT a prove it letter'!

Thanks all for the quick replies! Im so worried!

If she comes to your house you ask her to leave. If she refuses, she committs a Criminal act. So call the Police.

I'll post links to two letters you need!

Jogs

Tell her you cannot put up with the requests to change meetings and get onto the police non urgent number now. She has NO RIGHT to continue to harrass you and you MUST NOT let her get your signature.

Text her back saying you have major problems at the moment and it is extremely poor of her to harrass you at the moment, and that you need to investigate this further before meeting her.

Tell her bluntly that you are in contact with a legal advisor about the situation.... Provident WON'T have any paperwork and she will want to come weekly to collect money from you - do not let her get a foothold on this as you will deeply regret it.

Send provident this: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?410-LETTER-USED-WHEN-A-DCA-THREATENS-A-DOORSTEP-VISIT

As for the agent wanting to meet you, refuse point blank and state that you deem there calls to you as harassment and if they continue you will contact the police. As others have said, the agreement they will get you to sign will be a loan agreement to you for the amount of the debt, where you then make repayments to the agent. Such a loan agreement is unlawful and provident are in breach of OFT guidelines.

Also send provident this letter for good measure - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?493-Harassment-by-telephone-response-letter

If you live in Scotland and it has been 5 years since you made payment on the debt then it is Statuted barred. So send them this (but only if you live in Scotland) - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?424-Statute-Barred-Letter-SCOTLAND

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Yes she did want to meet on a weekly basis and I told her I wouldn't be able to do this as the issues I have at home. She then said I could call up the local office and make payments via debit card.

Next time she calls you tell her you deem her calls as harassment and you will contact the police if she calls again.

DO NOT meet her at all, as they intend to offer you a loan for the amount of the debt. In other words they pay your debt off for you and you then have to pay them a certain amount each week. They are acting in breach of OFT guidelines and attempting to get you to sign such an agreement is unlawful.

Also never give out card details.

Personally send the letters i suggested and if they do not stop report them to the police, OFT, Trading standards and report wescott too to the OFT, and Trading standards

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it! I will text her tomorrow! Also could you please clarify what I should send to wescot? I know I may sound a bit clueless but I am in a situation like this!

Well you do not need to send Wescott anything. The letters i linked to should all be sent to Provident (i have posted the address for you below).

The statute barred letter is only to be sent if you live in Scotland - So if you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, DO NOT send the statute barred letter.

PROVIDENT PERSONAL CREDIT LIMITED

NO. 1

GODWIN STREET

BRADFORD

WEST YORKSHIRE

UNITED KINGDOM

BD1 2SU

please do as you are being asked

do not contact her

and do not contact weacot

this is very important

pers i'd give them no hint that you have pers issues at home they;ll use that to cons you more

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well Provident are the ones that are attempting to collect the debt, so the letters are meant to put a stop to them calling you and attempting to visit you in person like they have been trying to do. So its provident that the letters need to be sent to.

Wescott haven't tried to enforce the debt, though you can make a compliant against them to the OFT, Trading standards and the Information Commissioners Office for passing your information (in breach of the data protection act) to provident who then attempted to get you to sign a loan agreement equal to the debt.

As DX says, do not contact wescott this will only set them onto you and they are a lot worser than provident. So for now you should avoid contact westcott. Though if they do rear their ugly heads, come back here and let us know and we'll help you put the naughty boys down but not in a gentle way :wink:

Teaboy2: it states on the letter that westcot have passed the debt onto them and if I pay the debt with them I can pay the reduced amount with no interest! Is it still valid to send the letters?