Hauck Malibu pushchair chassis snapped - daughter in A&E

pinkprincessangel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have a Hauck Malibu pushchair, I purchased it second hand from ebay and was told by the seller she hadnt had it very long and looking at it, it did look fairly new. I've had it since september, I got off the bus with it today, the driver couldnt lower the step and the chassis snapped, leaving 2 gaping splits in the metal that my daughter cut straight through her nail on. After a trip to A&E I called their customer services to be told that a warranty isnt transferrable and its not covered. If I want a new chassis it costs £40 (I paid £50 for the pushchair). I believe regardless of if I have paperwork, that a pushchair shouldn't have done this, they're designed to last the entire age of use which can be up to 4 years. Where do I stand on this? And if I can take action what do I do?

Thanks in advance

IMG_1537[1].jpg

you have an issue as you bought it 2nd hand.

ideally you should be taking this up with the seller not the manufacturer.

they are correct, the warranty doesnt transfer, but if its new and shes registered it herself before selling on, organise either a refund with her or to send it back so she can get it repaired under warranty for you.

the issue is, you need a valid proof of purchase to make a warranty claim, which you dont, unless the seller has the original receipt and can give it to you (unlikely)

oh the joys oh ebay eh?

I woudl suggets that you contact Trading Standards and speak to them about it. There may have been a safety recall that you are not aware of or you may possibily have a claim from the seller depending on how it was described in the ad. Only they will be able to advise as the item is second hand.

A warranty means nothing it is only an addition to your rights. Something as sudden as that then the seller would not be expected to know if it was faultless at the time of sale. It needs testing to find out why the fault occurred and Trading Standards can arrange that regardless of it being 2nd hand. This seems to be a private seller and not a trader so they shouldn't be expected to pay out for an injury claim if there is a manufacturing or design problem either.

Make sure you get all the details written down in order of events. The bus company, the reg. time /date and written proof that the step wasn't working. It's far easier to do it now than kick yourself later! Photo's of the injury also help. I'm sure people can add other things to note down or to be done.

I hope your daughter recovers soon. It must have been a shock to you both and it could have been worse.

• 3 months later...

I also have a hauck Malibu in Lolli Lime and the chassis has snapped both sides in the same place, I also bought mine from ebay but it was new and boxed but ebay shop no longer operating, thankfully hauck help desk were really understanding and after sending paypal proof of purchase (which was just over 12 months ago by a week), they have replaced the chassis (arrived next working day) and are taking mine to investigate, Luckily my baby was unharmed. Hope your little one is ok, and I will repost any findings about the chassis in case this is a manufacturing problem.

• 2 months later...
I also have a hauck Malibu in Lolli Lime and the chassis has snapped both sides in the same place, I also bought mine from ebay but it was new and boxed but ebay shop no longer operating, thankfully hauck help desk were really understanding and after sending paypal proof of purchase (which was just over 12 months ago by a week), they have replaced the chassis (arrived next working day) and are taking mine to investigate, Luckily my baby was unharmed. Hope your little one is ok, and I will repost any findings about the chassis in case this is a manufacturing problem.

hello, Catherine! I have the same problem with hauck chassis. Do you have the phone number for hauck help desk?

ideally you should be taking this up with the seller not the manufacturer.

:whoo:

To the contrary, with regard to safety, the liability for a defective product falls to

(a) the producer of the product;

(b) any person who, by putting his name on the product or using a trade mark or other distinguishing mark in relation to the product, has held himself out to be the producer of the product;

© any person who has imported the product into a member State from a place outside the member States in order, in the course of any business of his, to supply it to another.

The Consumer Protection Act 1987 applies.

• 3 months later...

I purchased a Hauck Malibu for my son and the exact same thing has happened to me with the frame splitting on both sides as i tilted my pushchair back to get on a bus i heard it crack, i contacted Hauck and they tried to fob me off saying it wasnt a design fault, my son was only 8 weeks old when this happened so it was nothing to do with weight, ive been advised by a friend to get in touch with trading standards so hopefully they'll be able to help me..

Picture 095.jpg

Picture 097.jpg

Hi

This is a shocking safety issue with this make of pram.

Could i suggest that those on this forum with that problem PM each other with there areas local trading standards so that when they contact there Local Trading Standards on this issue they point out that other consumers are having the exact same issue and give them the details of the othe trading standards areas it will help you cause.

I hope everyones precious little one is safe and well.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Hauck Malibi from a local independent retailer on 6th March 2010. my son was born exactly a week later. Within the first 6 months my chassis also snapped on both sides. I took it back to the shop and the owner immediately changed it. The frame then snapped 6 months later. This time it was sent away and we had to wait quite a few weeks for a new one to arrive.

Within a couple of weeks a new fault occurred. Part of the frame became bent, so that one of the front wheels was off the ground. The shop owner got more fussy this time and accused me of letting my 6yr old be pushed about in it (This is most certainly not the case). He did eventually persuade the Hauck rep to replace the chassis again. I waited the whole of the summer 2011 with a child less then 18m old and no pushchair - not ideal. Within 2 weeks the second fault had occurred. I wrote to them but had no reply.