HP Pavillion DV9000 from PC World

Bunto
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How do,

About 5 years ago i bought a laptop from PC World and in the first 12/16 months it was away getting repaired more than i had it. PC World the give me a choice of laptop to pick, with about 100 pound more to spend. So i picked the Pavillion DV9000/9500. About 12 odd months ago i got pink lines on my screen, i sent it away to a 3rd part repair center to get fixed and they sent it back they said it was repaired but when i got it switched on the screen was even worse, the WHOLE screen was pink lines and i could not return as the company had gone bust. So its been lying in my home for about 12 months. I decided to get it fixed recently and have ordered a new screen but on more research i have found out that these laptops had a faulty motherboard. HP knew about this and changed there warranty to 2 years instead of 12 months, but i thought products were covered up to 6 years and if there is a faulty product then you can get a repair etc etc?

So were do i stand with this?

Thanks vm for reading..

I think the fault on this laptop is that on the mother board there is a thin metal plate covering some components and it touches one of the pins protruding from the board or touches one of the components causing a short. By bending the plate away from leg of the component removes the short, however due to the design of the casing, when you put the motherboard back into the casing sometimes the fault comes back as the casing pushes the plate back to its original position.

Apologies but it is very difficult to describe however is unlikely to a be a fault with the screen. Any tech worth their salt will fix it in less than 30 minutes! Have you tried a google search on the fault.

The thing here is "up to 6 years" and after 6 months the burden of proof falls on you to prove that it's a manufacturing fault. There's no automatic rite here.

4 years is long time for a laptop so you'll have to weigh up the cost of commissioning an independent engineers report on the fault and the time and effort you'll spend enforcing it, against fixing it yourself or even a new one (the lowest spec £300 new lappy will beat the pants off that nower days)

This site is the 2nd result in Google http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-lcd-screen-inverter-board-hp-pavilion-dv9000-laptop/ and tells you how to take them apart and fix them.

As long as you're careful when removing the screen most laptops are easy to take apart n fix.

Although it is a known inherent fault on the laptop and was there since inception, the onus is on you to prove it, but if you can find numeous references to the fault you may get lucky and get the retailer to offer a reduced price on a repair. My son bought one just prior to going overseas and the fault manifested itself shortly thereafter so he had a £600 laptop sitting around doing nothing. Eventually the fault became known and it managed to get it repaired about 2 years ago.

call hp and ask for the service alert

there definatly is fault with this There is also a hp service alert for these

the fault is not specific to these boards but due to poor soldering on the nvidea chip

i would post the document in question myself but it would probably negativly impact upon my employment

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: