Techguys lose it

ECONS
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4981 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My netbook just went blank so I went down to the PCWorld I purchased it from to visit the Techguys making use of the monthly payment I made for cover. They informed me that I would have to phone the Techguys helpline, nothing to do with them. After questioning on the phone they agreed that my computer did not work and arranged collection. About a week after collection I received a text to say that it had arrived with the Techguys (the big shed 5 miles down the road from me). Next contact was to say all was well it was the motherboard it would be returned with all data intact.

So far so good. Two weeks no sign. Follow up phone calls - it had been misplaced, but they were looking. Regular phone calls made over the following weeks with a gradual increase in the time spent on hold, including on more than one occasion disconnection. Finally a letter (standard) arrives telling me to take my receipt and the letter to the store to get a replacement.

What about all my data which I no longer have and somebody else obviously does including approaching 2000 contacts!

No interest from them to discuss just a take it or leave it attitude. An attempt to email the CEO was intercepted by customer complaints who just said the same go get a replacement from the store.

Have they sent it somewhere else? Has someone stolen it within the company? They obviously do not care.

I always said that I would never sign up to one of these warranty cons but did due to the small size of a net book. NEVER again.

My backup was in the 'cloud' and as I no longer have the machine I have no idea how to retrieve any information. Any suggestions welcome.

I will go back to using the local shop I have found with three guys who seem to be able to repair most problems and who are not going to lose my machine in a big shed.

Unfortunately whilst they are responsible for replacing your machine after losing it, they are not responsible for any of your lost data. It's your responsibility to keep a backup (and know how to access it) of all your data. I doubt the machine has been sent to someone else, more than likely it's somewhere in the workshop lost in limbo. If it is discovered eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if it was wiped and sold as a refurb unit.

As for your data backup, when you say 'in the cloud' do you mean you had an online backup? Do you know who this was with? If you backed up your files online then they should be retrievable from any PC so long as you have your login details.

if its any help its unlikely to be re-furbished and resold

when its found its likely to be stripped down for spares if you call the call center and ask for a note to be put on the system you MAY be able to get the hard drive returned it depends on some factors tho

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

if its any help its unlikely to be re-furbished and resold

when its found its likely to be stripped down for spares if you call the call center and ask for a note to be put on the system you MAY be able to get the hard drive returned it depends on some factors tho

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: