What does a police warrant card look like?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4495 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I notice that when the someone from the store "introduces" themselves they flash something that looks official and they use the term "detective".

Not many people know what a warrant card looks like.

How can this not be akin to impersonating a police officer if they are not clearer?

Also, what is the purpose of flashing a card if not to give the impression that they have authority?

I note that the Boots "store detective" ID card colour is what can only be described as a "police blue". The card need not be this colour (and does not match the Boots colour scheme of a dark blue.)

I can only draw the conclusion that an intent is being displayed to give the impression that they are a police officer.

A detective doesn't have to work for the police, as there have been private detectives in the UK for a long time. I guess the word 'security' is used more now, but in my youth, the people responsible for preventing theft in shops were always called store detectives or similar. Obviously, I wouldn't condone purporting to be a police officer, but I don't think using the title detective is illegal in itself.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

A detective doesn't have to work for the police, as there have been private detectives in the UK for a long time. I guess the word 'security' is used more now, but in my youth, the people responsible for preventing theft in shops were always called store detectives or similar. Obviously, I wouldn't condone purporting to be a police officer, but I don't think using the title detective is illegal in itself.

HB

I guess the detective bit is not too controversial. However, I wonder what the situation is when used with a flash of an ID in this way.

We all see the usual clip on ID's, on lanyards around someones neck etc. The ones used by the store detective was a black leather fold over type that he flopped out to show.

In all other aspects when someone has come to read the meter etc. the ID card is straightforward plastic laminated type. All tend to look quite scruffy and obviously you know what kind of person you are dealing with. I wonder if Boots store detectives have a different ID badge to everyone else in terms of type and colour etc.?

• 5 months later...

I imagine this will be the 'ID card' that a store detective will flash.

It is nothing more than a licence that all of us security staff must hold in order to work in security.

ALL UNIFORMED SECURITY STAFF MUST DISPLAY THIS LICENCE AT ALL TIMES, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Plain clothes store detectives do not however have to display them as the nature of their job requires them to be covert.

However they still must present it as they identify themselves as security staff, in making an arrest etc.

All the licences will look like this, either with 'SECURITY' with a light blue strip on the right hand side of the licence, 'DOOR SUPERVISOR' with an orange strip on the side or 'CLOSE PROTECTION' with a darker orange strip.

These cards are NOT police warrant cards, and do not give us security staff any more powers than an ordinary citizen. Ie, it does not give us the right to search you, as no one but a police officer may do that. It does not give us the result to restrain you in any other circumstance other than to prevent loss or damage to people or property. that means we can use REASONABLE FORCE to detain an offender or in SELF DEFENSE ONLY.

I hope this helps and reassures you somewhat to the basic decency of 99% of us security staff.

card-ds.jpg

:-) V Newcastle City Council £60 Civil Enforcement overturned 2007

:-) V Capital One £300 of unfair charges revoked 2009

:-) V Nationwide £270 of Bank Charges Revoked 2010

:-) V Moorcroft Debt Collection £130 Charges Revoked 2010

:-) V Manchester City Council £75 Parking charge Revoked 2010

:-) V Former employer Undisclosed settlement forced after unfair dismissal 2011

• 11 months later...