South West Trains - Prosecution Threat

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry to diverge from the oyster validity discussions, but just wondering if there's any advice on the issues above... thanks :)

There are two schools of thought here.

One will say: Yes, do contact them and try to resolve it as soon as possible, but although I've had more than 30 years experience in dealing with these matters I don't subscribe to that myself.

What experience has taught me, is that a high percentage of likely reports never get made for a whole raft of reasons and quite often it is because an inspector has been vey busy and may have lost any ticket retained or, in writing up loads of reports, simply forgets one from time to time..

Now I'm not saying that it is likely to have happened in your case, but it always remains a possibility.

Firstly, why would you want to remind the TOC to take action against you if they haven't already done so. If they believe that an offence has been committed, it is their responsibility to take action just as it is the travellers responsibility to have a valid ticket.

Second, if you wait until they contact you then you will know exactly what it is you are accused of having done and you will be able to respond accordingly.

Thirdly, once you receive the notice you will know exactly who you are dealing with and where to write to in reply.

You may be feeling a little concerned that you haven't heard anything, but there is an old saying that 'no news is good news' and it is never truer than in these circumstances. Whilst you have heard nothing, you have nothing to worry about.

Deal with it only if and when you get a letter is my advice.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all. Thanks to all your advice, my case has been successful. After two exchanges of post and then a few chase-up calls, I received a settlement letter yesterday. Following morning I immediately paid the requisite amount over the phone and now just waiting for the receipt in the post. Cheers! :)

well done everyone

dont forget to donate if you can

dx

siteteam

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi all. Thanks to all your advice, my case has been successful. After two exchanges of post and then a few chase-up calls, I received a settlement letter yesterday. Following morning I immediately paid the requisite amount over the phone and now just waiting for the receipt in the post. Cheers! :)
Good job!

Thanks for the update!

• 7 months later...

I know the matter of the OP has been sorted with the toc but one point that you all missed was the mention of the negative balance which would effectively render the t/c invalid until such time as a top-up was made. so one can only assume that was the key factor for it. Im sure had you noticed that you would have of course known but i couldn't leave it unsaid :|

Hello there gooner, welcome to the forum.

What you've said may mean something to the transport gurus, but speaking as a 'lay' member of this forum, I don't understand what you said in post #32. Would you be able to expand on what you said please? That way if someone refers to this thread in the future and has my level of knowledge of the system, they will know what to do.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello there gooner, welcome to the forum.

What you've said may mean something to the transport gurus, but speaking as a 'lay' member of this forum, I don't understand what you said in post #32. Would you be able to expand on what you said please? That way if someone refers to this thread in the future and has my level of knowledge of the system, they will know what to do.

My best, HB

Chances are it wont help them as i think it was an oversight and guess they know.

And whith that post i dont know how much you know about the Oystercard and the way it works..... But basically you can load pre-paid credit or a travel card(t/c) and the original post refers to having a zones 1-2 t/c embedded onto the card and made the suggestion that because they had not touched in (validated) at the origin journey was the reason for them being stopped. However in a later posted they refereed to having a negative balance which could have meant that they had traveled outside of zone 2. A negative balance would effectively render the t/c invalid until such time as the balance had been paid. Again i know that the regs will be aware of this but just may have missed this but i hope this gives you a better understanding honeybee.

Chances are it wont help them as i think it was an oversight and guess they know.

And whith that post i dont know how much you know about the Oystercard and the way it works..... But basically you can load pre-paid credit or a travel card(t/c) and the original post refers to having a zones 1-2 t/c embedded onto the card and made the suggestion that because they had not touched in (validated) at the origin journey was the reason for them being stopped. However in a later posted they refereed to having a negative balance which could have meant that they had traveled outside of zone 2. A negative balance would effectively render the t/c invalid until such time as the balance had been paid. Again i know that the regs will be aware of this but just may have missed this but i hope this gives you a better understanding honeybee.

Yes, the Oyster allows for both a season / travelcard and pre-paid credit to be loaded so if a traveller makes a journey beyond the validity of the pre-paid ticket within the area that Oyster is accepted, the balance of fare due can be deducted from pre-paid credit held on the card when they touch-out.

In the OPs case there was no pre-pay balance and it appears the journey wasn't commenced or 'touched-in' within the t/c area held, therefore dealing with a 'short offer', or 'no ticket' are the correct actions taken by revenue staff.