Barclays offer LESS than 50% back. Advice please

amulrooney
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Blimey, they're really giving you the run around! I thought that the basics covered in your original letter and what you said on the phone and an actual appearance in court would give you the chance to fully argue the point.

Have they given you an ideas as to what exactly they want when you phoned them? Do they want you to try and break down the charges or are they after more legal gumf?

Don't forget to contribute to the CAG. Without them we would probably still be drafting our prelim letters.

OH Cap One - £436/ So far received £40. MCOL submitted 17/7/06. Caved 4/8/06 for full amount!!!

OH Monument - £140, claim filed 8th May. Requested judgement by default, settled in full 4th July via out of court settlement (see thread). Total £192ish received.

Me Barclays - £630. Received letter 13th May offering £300 full and final (they can bog off). Claim filed 16th May. Acknowledgement of Service filed 22nd May to defend all of the claim. Allocation Questionnaire completed and Stay been ordered by Judge on 18/7/06!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right (rolls sleeves up!), lets see if we can think of what they might be after. Did they say if they wanted it in writing or not?

Don't forget to contribute to the CAG. Without them we would probably still be drafting our prelim letters.

OH Cap One - £436/ So far received £40. MCOL submitted 17/7/06. Caved 4/8/06 for full amount!!!

OH Monument - £140, claim filed 8th May. Requested judgement by default, settled in full 4th July via out of court settlement (see thread). Total £192ish received.

Me Barclays - £630. Received letter 13th May offering £300 full and final (they can bog off). Claim filed 16th May. Acknowledgement of Service filed 22nd May to defend all of the claim. Allocation Questionnaire completed and Stay been ordered by Judge on 18/7/06!!!

Okay, so we can't actually PROVE that the amount of the charges is unlawful, we only have circumstantial evidence, therefore the bank is required to disclose how it has reached the figure it charges.

Circumstantial evidence - the process of returning a d/d unpaid, exceeding o/d is an automated procedure. A computer system set up to manage many millions of barclays accounts. The cost of installing and maintaining a computer system would be spread over a huge number of transactions.

- A one size fits all charge. How would it cost the bank the same amount whether you exceed your o/d by £1 or £100? The loss to the bank would be different. How would it cost the bank the same amount to pay a d/d as it would to return it unpaid?

Fact - It has been stated by a high level bank member Peter McNamara on BBC News that "the charges were used to fund free banking for all personal customers."

Obviously there is then the legaleze stuff. Penalty clauses in English and Scottish law for breach of contract are not legal if the penalty exceeds the actual cost of the breach of either party. You have asked the bank for disclosure so you can be sure that they are not overcharging but they have refused. Etc etc.

Maybe refer to the information you were intending to bring to court...

UTTCR 99 Statutory Instrument 1999 No. 2083

copy of Unfair Contract Terms 77 Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 as amended up to date to 1/10/2003

copy of the OFT statement of April 5th in full

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...ct=c lnk&cd=1

copy of the OFT statement of April 5th summary

Summary of Exactly What the OFT Said & The 'New' £12 Threshold

relevant case law summaries, Wilson, Dunlop

dunlop overview

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunlop_...ge_and_Co._Ltd.

The established jurisprudence

bankchargeshell.co.uk - Legal cases and common law

Thank you to Octron32 who posted these links in Bookworm's thread.

Ithe charges were not an accurate estimate of what it costs them, that they are added in torrem,

Advice on what to send back would be helpful.

Maybe using the correct words, which is "in terrorem" might help?

But the legal basis would be the basic tennets of penalty law, as defined by cases of 1896 Wilson v Love, and 1915 Dunlop v New Garage, which defined that a charge can not be more than a genuine pre-estimate of costs, that kind of thing?

Okay, so we can't actually PROVE that the amount of the charges is unlawful, we only have circumstantial evidence, therefore the bank is required to disclose how it has reached the figure it charges.

Well, no, but that is precisely why a judge would be expected to make that decision, we're not supposed to prove this prior to the hearing, that would be rather defeating the purpose.

Can you post here what your particular of claims were exactly? Maybe there'll be a clue of what the judge is asking for...:-?

Sorry yes, in torrem was just a typo on my part because I was rushing.

Alleycat, thanks for that info. I'm drafting my letter right now and will hand it in tomorrow. I will keep you posted on what the outcome is.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Am now expecting the same reply if this is the next court of action they are going to take.

What were the specifics of your letter? is there anything I should definately include should we all start getting the same response??

Many thanks and good luck.

;-)

• 2 weeks later...

having.....gone into o/draft without having agreed with the defendant to increase the overdraft facility and/ or his failure to make payments to bring the balancre of the account back into credit.

Dont worry i had the same crap on my transfer of proceedings. i think yes we will all expect the same defence! I also saw my local CAB today for there advice also, always try to settle out of court for it to be in your favour was there advice so i went along but they werent having any of it.....onwards court!!!

Hope this helps.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks