URGENT HELP! HMCS Demand for money.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, new to group, hope this is right area to post in.

Today (12/6/10) I have received a letter from Lincolnshire Central Finance (HMCS??) which starts as follows:

The amount you owe is £263.00.

As you have failed to make payment as directed, you are hereby given notice that one or more of the following steps listed below will be taken against you.

It then goes on to list various items such as bailiffs, wheel clamping etc.

The problem is, and I swear I am being absolutely truthful here, I have not got the foggiest idea what this is about and this is the first correspondence I have ever received on the matter. The letter gives no indication at all as to what the fine is for or what I have supposed to have done.

The other worry is that the letter is dated 8th June, I have ten days from the date of the letter to pay up but as they do not work Saturdays (I tried to phone them) it will be 14th June before I can even phone them.

Any advice as to how to deal with it? Before paying I obviously want to know what its all about but then this will be outside the ten day deadline. Should I pay up then try to find out what its about later?

HELP!!!

Carl

Hi there and welcome to CAG. What's the address on the letter? is it Lincoln Magistrates Court? Obviously you need to find out what the amount they say you owe is for before we go any further.

Don't worry, you'll get plenty of help and advice on this site :)

I'll move your thread to the general debt forum until we establish what the demand is for.

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi,

Letter has the court crest on it but address is Lincolnshire Central Finance, 358 High Street, Lincoln LN5 7QA.

I know I have to find out more on Monday but it is the 10 deadline than concerns me, most of which will be gone by Monday.

Carl

Guest Mrs Hobbit

Make contact with the Court. the staff are very helpful. I would also write to the Court at the same time and tell them you know nothing of this matter. You can also ask for a Judge to consider this and apply for a set aside until you find out what it is all about. The Courts can be reasonable and I have found the staff very helpful.

There should be some sort of reference number on it.

I am sure someone more experienced will be along to help you

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/SearchLinked.do?court_name=Lincoln%20Magistrates'%20Court

Phone numbers and the like, I would contact the Court Manager

Thanks, will contact Monday and report result here.

I am a HGV driver and travel all over to country, about 100,000 miles a year, I am imagining I must have committed some sort of parking or speeding offence at some time. Still doesn't explain why this is the first communication I have received though?

Carl

I've just Googled Central Finance, and it is more than likely speeding or parking. It could well be an administrational cock up that has left you in this mess. The advice above is correct, Monday will be soon enough to worry, and by the way Baliffs cannot arrive on a Sunday.

Update......

Phoned Linconshire Central Finance today to find out what its all about. Seems that in 2005 I was zapped by a speed camera. The standard offer of £60 fine and three points was allegedly sent to me and as I did not reply I was taken to court in my absence charged with failure to name the driver, I was fined £263.00 and given three points on my licence.

I asked what I could do about it now as this was the first I knew of it. They said my only option was to go to my local magistrates court and swear in front of a judge that I did not know of this action. This will then be sent to Lincoln where they may or may not re-issue papers for another court case, which I may lose.

I asked why it took five years to chase this fine and they claimed they took that long to verify that lived at my address!

Also, it has occurred to me that my motor insurance has probably been invalid for the past five years as it seemed I had these points but did not tell the insurance company.

I think they got me banged to rights here so I reckon my only option is to cough up the money?

Carl

Guest Mrs Hobbit

Sometimes it is better to accept and then walk away.

Of course whey not do what they suggest and take the chance on them being lenient. At least you know the worst. Sorry this is not more positive.

It might be worth letting a solicitor give it the once over. You get twenty minutes for free on certain days at some briefs. If you are self employed double the fine and add it to your expenses for next year as something else, that ensures the greedy barstools miss out