• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Business account over 19,000 in bank charges.** SETTLED IN FULL ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dolfos, I've come in on this a bit late and I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but as this was a business account, was it by any chance secured by a charge on your self or property?

Hi Andrew1

No they tried to get my husband to sign a form back in 2002 regarding a charge on our home but he didn't and as it was in joint names also and I was a) nothing to do with business and b) never going to give such authorisation the 2nd charge they tried to get never came about so there was no security given. However we have had to sell our home and we are now in rented property as a result of all the financial headaches with the business. With regards to charge on my husband not as far as I know.

17th august 06-claimed back 725.00 from HSBC in full (personal account)

28th august -just added up over 19,000 in business charges with husbands HSBC account! ABOUT TO START PROCESS OF RECLAIMING MONIES.

It is odd though thatthey are quoting the business bank account which has been transferred to Max recovery. the business loan would be a seperate account number etc. The business account was overdrawn at the time of closure by about 2,000UKP and the business loan was just over 19K hence their claim in the IVA for approx 22.4K.(both added together as one debt)

28th august -just added up over 19,000 in business charges with husbands HSBC account! ABOUT TO START PROCESS OF RECLAIMING MONIES.

I have spent a long time trawling through the "Business Banking Code" and come up with this

14.9 In certain circumstances we may pass your debt to another organisation or debt-collection agency.

We will always choose reputable firms which also agree to follow the Code when arranging

repayment.

Subscribers should follow a due diligence process when selecting third parties for debt management. This should

include third party compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998, the Consumer Credit Act 1974, Office of Fair Trading

guidance on debt collection and debt management and the code of the Credit Services Association.

Subscribers should use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that Code standards for handling financial difficulties

contained in paragraph 14.1 of the Code are applied by such agents. Code compliance standards should form part of all

third party contracts agreed on or after 31st March 2002.

Subscribers should pass on relevant information to enable third party debt managers to recover debts.

14.10 In other circumstances we may sell your debt. We will always choose reputable firms if we do this.

Subscribers should follow a due diligence process when selecting any third party for debt sale. Any new contract

entered into after March 2005 with such companies should ensure that the third party will comply with relevant

legislation such as the Data Protection Act 1998, the Consumer Credit Act 1974, Office of Fair Trading guidance on debt

collection and debt management, the code of the Credit Services Association and the Business Banking Code’s

standards for handling financial difficulties contained in paragraph 14.1 even if the debt purchaser is not a subscriber.

Subscribers should inform third parties of any relevant arrangements the customer is complying with.

It is common practice for third parties taking on a debt to request a new statement of income, expenditure and assets to

understand the customer’s most up-to-date position.

So, bearing in mind that this extract is from the business banking code does anyone know whether business bank accounts are indeed, covered by the CCA 1974 as this seems to imply?

I have spent a long time trawling through the "Business Banking Code" and come up with this

So, bearing in mind that this extract is from the business banking code does anyone know whether business bank accounts are indeed, covered by the CCA 1974 as this seems to imply?[/left]

[/size][/font]

Would that not depend on whether the business was a Limited Company, where I presume the CCa would not apply, or a sole trader/ self employed business where I would have thought it would apply.

In certain circumstances we may pass your debt to another organisation or debt-collection agency.

We will always choose reputable firms which also agree to follow the Code when arranging

repayment.

Subscribers should follow a due diligence pr

ocess when selecting third parties for debt management. This should

include third party compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998, the Consumer Credit Act 1974, Office of Fair Trading

guidance on debt collection and debt management and the code of the Credit Services Association.

Subscribers should use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that Code standards for handling financial difficulties

contained in paragraph 14.1 of the Code are applied by such agents. Code compliance standards should form part of all

third party contracts agreed on or after 31st March 2002.

Subscribers should pass on relevant information to enable third party debt managers to recover debts.

In other circumstances we may sell your debt. We will always choose reputable firms if we do this.

Subscribers should follow a due diligence pr

ocess when selecting any third party for debt sale. Any new contract

entered into after March 2005 with such companies should ensure that the third party will comply with relevant

legislation such as the Data Protection Act 1998, the Consumer Credit Act 1974, Office of Fair Trading guidance on debt

collection and debt management, the code of the Credit Services Association and the Business Banking Code’s

standards for handling financial difficulties contained in paragraph 14.1 even if the debt purchaser is not a subscriber.

Subscribers should inform third parties of any relevant arrangements the customer is complying with.

It is common practice for third parties taking on a debt to request a new statement of income, expenditure and assets to

understand the customer’s most up-to-date position.

So, bearing in mind that this extract is from the business banking code does anyone know whether business bank accounts are indeed, covered by the CCA 1974 as this seems to imply?

thanks for looking sarah,

it does sound like CCA may apply. the business was a sole trader trading as... so I have been told that this will mean he is treated like a customer and is liable like a customer. can anyone else confirm this?

Guest Tracey284

Hi Dolfos, and I thought my husband's £12k was high! Anyway, I can only advise what I have been told.......you can put in several claims, each one totalling £5,000 including interest. Split them down into years or months, this way they are kept under the £5,000 small claims threashold. I was advised this by the person who introduced me to this site. She claimed £5k and then £3k from the Halifax and won! Good luck and will continue to watch.

Hi Dolfos, and I thought my husband's £12k was high! Anyway, I can only advise what I have been told.......you can put in several claims, each one totalling £5,000 including interest. Split them down into years or months, this way they are kept under the £5,000 small claims threashold. I was advised this by the person who introduced me to this site. She claimed £5k and then £3k from the Halifax and won! Good luck and will continue to watch.

thanks for your support x

With all respect, this is not the best advice.

The court will not like the fact that the claim has been split, this ammounts to abuse of the court system. The claim will have to be kept as one.

The court will not like the fact that the claim has been split, this ammounts to abuse of the court system. The claim will have to be kept as one.

Agreed.

Aww - I miss your dragon Crusher :(

Cyril will be back, dont worry!:D

Good - he was kind of hypnotic you know? Kind of soothing, a bit like Bookies eyes blinking when she was a worm - that was mesmorising as well.

I think I better go to bed - I'm obviously overtired

thanks for this yes I agree although scary the claim will go in as one. court costs initially 400UKP for our claim amount. I know legal representation is normal in multi track but I don't think cost wise this will be possible however I am not backing down. I imagaine HSBC will be expecting us to back down at court stage as they obviously no our finances are very tight! (largely contributed by them).

LBA letter due tomorrow still nought from HSBC.

Hi Dolphos,

Been looking at this thread as I have a friend who is looking into claiming back unfair charges from Barclays for his Ltd Co and we have a feeling that his claim will be in the same region as yours.

Personally I'm claiming 1500 against Lloyds for my personal account.

It occured to me while reading some of the initial reactions from some posters saying that because of the amount they can't see HSBC giving in without a fight. Just wanted to say that while your claim is a hell of a lot compared to most of the others on this site, I can't see it making any difference to HSBC really, its still a drop in the ocean to them and I imagine there are hundreds of people claiming say and average of £1000 against them so yours is still a very small chunk in the big picture. What I'm trying to say is go for it! If anything the amount of your claim means you have a better chance! All the best. :)

Hi Dolphos,

Been looking at this thread as I have a friend who is looking into claiming back unfair charges from Barclays for his Ltd Co and we have a feeling that his claim will be in the same region as yours.

Personally I'm claiming 1500 against Lloyds for my personal account.

It occured to me while reading some of the initial reactions from some posters saying that because of the amount they can't see HSBC giving in without a fight. Just wanted to say that while your claim is a hell of a lot compared to most of the others on this site, I can't see it making any difference to HSBC really, its still a drop in the ocean to them and I imagine there are hundreds of people claiming say and average of £1000 against them so yours is still a very small chunk in the big picture. What I'm trying to say is go for it! If anything the amount of your claim means you have a better chance! All the best. :)

Thanks.

I too don't think even with this amount the banks are gonna want to disclose in court which they would have to do real costs to returning cheques and DD's etc. Found some interesting stuff which may be of interest last night:

http://www.bytestart.co.uk/content/finance/small-business-borrowing-costs.shtml

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/inquiries/ref2005/banking/summary_of_provisional_findings.pdf#search='investigation%20into%20business%20banking%2A'

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/inquiries/ref2005/banking/banking_prov_sub_hsbc_group.pdf#search='investigation%20in%20to%20business%20banking%20uk%2A'

http://www.rte.ie/business/2001/0306/ukbanks.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/aa60af12-81a4-11d9-9e19-00000e2511c8,dwp_uuid=d89d6328-51da-11da-9ca0-0000779e2340,print=yes.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/4198213.stm HSBC really support small business don't they?

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/reports/2002/462banks.htm#summary

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/business/6034179.stm

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,3604,1427742,00.html?=rss

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/small-business/article.html?in_article_id=413490&in_page_id=10

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/business/6034179.stm Wonder if Mr DICKEY can prove his statment thats all we want. What do you think????

any comments?

Ok quick update HSBC have still not sent any kind of response so LBA letter drafted today and shall be sent monday amount now 41,985.76and rising.

thanks to all who have supported me next step court which will be rather interesting I think.

Thanks for all support, not giving up.

It is so frustrating that the banks can ignore you and force you down the court route just to add more stress.

well they have 14 days from tomorrow and then i guess it wll be multi track here we come!

Thanks again guys I'm glad a few people are going for the business accouts now too. it is unbelievable how much pressure banks put on small business's as if there were enough issues.

Will keep you all posted!

x

Guest Tracey284

Wishing you lots of luck and I am watching. About to have success with HSBC. They filed a defence 24 hours before judgement and I received the AQ but then in came the offer which I queried the interest amount and then they upped it. Just waiting for the cheque!!! Will reveal all once cheque cleared. Only problem - they are making lots of cheques, standing orders, direct debits etc. go rubber on my husband's business account. About to start with this one so will just add them on!