Vet misdiagnosis

James31
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hightail, you are right. It ought to make them much more careful in future even if the complaint doesn't make it to the next stage (Prelimiary Commitee). Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a response from RCVS today. The case is due to be considered by the case examiners in 14 days.

They copied me in on the response from the Vet, who flatly denies ever having giving us the news that our cat had 4 to 8 weeks to live (based on a urine sample). Her response is just a long string of lies; and I have no reason to lie to you guys about this.

This is very upsetting news and leaves us in a situation where it's our word against theirs. Hopefully the fact that I had ordered a headstone for the garden at that time will prove that we'd had the news.

I'm not sure now whether to write back to RCVS, I have 14 days to comment.

James

James, I'd write to them and mention the headstone order for sure and you could copy off what you posted here too with the dates............as you say, why would you bother coming on here and making this whole sorry tale up ???

Good luck,

Love Lynda X

Sure, I had already sent them the order confirmation and design for the memorial, which I had ordered on the evening following the call last summer. I also ordered lots of renal food and suppliments (first time ever) on the same day, in an effort to save her despite the grave prognosis and timescale.

Perhaps I'll call them instead. Basically, I'd covered every possible fact and detail when I sent my bundle so to respond now would just be repeating the facts and pointing our her untruths. Putting my side against hers, it ought to be clear where the differences are.

Obviously, I haven't gone into major detail in these posts but any sane person could see (with all the evidence in front of them) that the vet is now lying through the skin of their teeth. I honestly wasn't expecting that, I thought they would either make up a decent story to cover themselves or come clean.

In fact, they did neither; just make out that the urine sample was good instead!

I no longer have the details of her website. I know I looked at it when you first posted and as I remember it was just a touch heavy on the benefits of euthanasia. If it has not changed I would suggest you save the relevant pages and send copies in as your final comment. It's not exactly hard evidence but it will help build up the picture. All vets have areas of special interest and her only stated one seemed to be home euthanasia.

Hightail, I did include details in my original complaint, they would have seen that.

Aside from "justice" if that's the right word, we genuinely wouldn't wish her level of expertise and care upon others with whom she deals with. In fact those two reasons are 50/50 for going ahead with this, for me personally.

I can't believe she has lied to RCVS though in her response on so many counts. Surely would have been better for her to come clean.

I wrote a letter to RCVS to remark on a few points from the vets response (where such comments were not a repeat of what I'd already cited) and posted it to them on Monday.

• 1 month later...

Another update. Just had a letter this weekend to say that the case has been put forward for the primilary investigation committee when they meet. We have a date, it's just a couple of weeks away. A good result so far.

This next stage is probably the most important; it's where they decide whether or not to hold a Disciplinary Committee hearing.

Well the case examiners have pushed a stage further so you should be pleased, I guess this means they've decided there probably is a case to answer so the vet will be one worried lady. Even if they don't have enough evidence to take it further I think you can count this as a success as she will definitely be looking over her shoulder in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Letter from RCVS this morning.

The PIC have decided to take it further and we will now be interviewed by an external solicitor. This will take place early next month.

Not too shabby at all. It's not unusual for things like this to be dealt with outside a professional organisation so don't worry about the external solicitor thing. It's so it can't get personal and there can't be any hard feelings afterwards.

Sure. They must need more information (at least from us, perhaps from others too) before they can make a decision on whether it should go to the disciplinary committee. This is crunch time.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

We haven't been given much of a heads up, so not sure what to expect really. I'm ok, I can just roll with it, but I think my better half finds it quite daunting. Couple of hours to go, I'll post an update later.

Yesterday went well. That's about it for us now. The draft witness statements should be back with us for signing in a couple of weeks, and then we wait to see if there will be a hearing.

You've got this a lot further than you thought you would at the start. The vet will also have to produce a statement through a solicitor. That in itself will have her very worried and hopefully being a darn sight more careful in future.

• 1 month later...

Update: Things are dragging out a little bit. We're currently waiting for the Preliminary Investigation Committee (PIC) to give a verdict on whether there will be a hearing. Our witness statements are in and complete, but one or more statements from others aren't. The PIC next meets in early October and then again in early November. Could be at either of those meetings that a decision is taken on whether to hold a hearing.

These things always take time. Even if it doesn't go as far as a hearing I'd count this as a success. It's gone far enough that her name is now known to them and she'll have to be very careful from now on. You will have saved others the misery she caused you which is a great result.

• 1 month later...

I believe the case was considered again on Wednesday this week. Waiting for a letter to arrive now!

Thanks as ever for your comments hightail. I do hope there is a hearing though as there are a couple of points we'd love clarity on. The vet has lied to us and is now lying to the royal college also... We need the truth on a couple of things, else we will be left wondering forever!

• 1 month later...

Haven't had a covering letter yet, but it looks as though the case is going to be held open for 2 years to allow RCVS to monitor the advice they are going to give or have given the vet.

I am very disappointed with this decision, there will be no hearing. This leaves a heap of unanswered questions for us, the vet has "gotten away with it" in my eyes. 4 issues of misconduct and a string of RCVS guidelines broken... what a joke of a body.

In summary, the complaint was made because:

a) The vet prescribed medication that cause deterioration and death because the dose was wrong for the weight. Vet had never weighed our cat in 2 years, but instead copied the weight from 2 years prior, from the notes of our old vet.

b) Falsified the medical history before sending us a copy.

c) Attempted to stop us seeing our old vet, telling us they needed to spend some money on the place and that they couldn't even do their own blood tests. This was false.

d) Performed the wrong test for a diagnosis, told us our cat would die in 4 to 8 weeks, then covered it up and lied to RCVS about it.

I have read that the only way to challenge the decision of the PIC is through the courts. Anybody have any experience of this?

James

Edited by James31

I hope somebody has some good advice for you as it doesn't seem right that they simply walk away from this. I guess unless you're loaded you're not going to be pursuing it through the courts and they are well aware that probably 98% of their customers aren't in the position to do that.

It stinks.

Love Lynda X:sad:

Typical toothless result :-(

As mentioned earlier there are some no win no fee solicitors dealing with professional negligence by vets, or the small claims court is relatively inexpensive.

Still doesn't bring a treasured pet back I know.

Sorry about the outcome, but at least she's been brought up short to some extent and knows she's being monitored, which has to be good news for any other unfortunate creatures passing through her hands.

Elsa x