Website keeps changing RRp and so sale price goes up etc?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is it good practice or legal etc for a company's website to have their items for sale one day at a price then another a different one thereby making sale price higher?

eg Item 1

Day 1 - rrp = £100, sale price = £75, saving = £25

Day 2 - rrp = £340, sale price = £200, saving = £140

so saving price looks much better on day 2 and makes customer thinks they have a bargain. Is this all ok? I appreciate prices going up from time to time but for rrp on so many items to jump up (jewellers and just before Valentines) and create sale is better must be naughty?

I happened to buy an item on day 1 so feel I have saved a small fortune but then again the price is probably going to drop again..... and will the rrp!! That's the bit I do not get... rrp changing from one day to next but not actually sold at changed rrp but rather sold at new 'sale' price which possibly could be more than the rrp was one day before!

Hope I make sense??? Any feedbcak appreciated :)

Resale Price Maintenance was abolished many, many years ago. So you might see claims of a 'recommended retail price' , but legally there is no such thing - firms can sell things for as high or as low as they want. So any reference to savings needs to be based on what they actually sold the item for previously.

This brings with it a good number of caveats - a shop (in a chain) can say an item was available at this price for a minimum of 28 days in the last six months at their branch (in the Hebrides). They probably didn't sell any as it would have been cheaper elsewhere and anyone with a bit of sense would have found that out.

The declarations of 'savings' must therefore be truthful, but even if they are not - surely someone would be guided by what the ACTUAL cost to them will be, not some imagined 'savings' over a non-existent RRP?

Sites also tend to use browser tracking cookies.

So visit the same product page twice (it knows from the stored cookie) and the price goes up.

Ryan Air use this to bump up flight prices and I've noticed it on Amazon too.

Always delete the sites cookies if the price starts rising and try again.