Bank Charges Campaign Continues

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2194 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Folks!

I think the thrust of any Demo or Campaign should be along the lines of the restoration of the full intention and powers of The Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Make it clear we object to that once fine Act being systematically turned into The bankers Retrospective Protection Act.

The people need proper protection from the banks whereas the banks do not need any protection from the people.

We need a Logo and/or a single phrase to get the overall message across, something like:

Bring back The Consumer Credit Act 1974!

Or...

We demand a new Consumer & Business Protection Act!

Or...

Financial Democracy NOW!

Or...

End banking Dictatorship NOW!

Or...

End Debt Slavery!

Suggestions please? Preferably something with the word bank or banker in it, and not in a flattering sense!

All else can flow from that, such as the horror stories of debt suicide and the abject misery and financial ruin the banks have forced upon millions of people.

Iceland might be a case in point, because 25% of the entire population has just signed a petition to say they do not want to pay for mistakes made by their bankers.

Icelandic revolt upsets Icesave deal - Telegraph

People really hate banks, at long last, and that is a powerful force. It just needs to be given some focus and direction.

The annoyingly similar Yellow, Blue and Red banking politicians may then be swept aside by a more democratic and sincere Party willing to listen, or they may at least be sufficiently scared by that prospect to sit up and take an interest...and do something in our favour (or join the queue for Job Seeker's Allowance)!

I think this Recession is not over, we have some real pain and grief yet to come. All of the number-money injected into the banks to prop them up will hit the economy at some stage, i.e. when the banks' Bond Holders elect to start spending it (no doubt when buying our assets at knock-down values as we struggle to pay for this big banking debt beano). When it does, bend over and hang on to your socks, because Inflation will come back like a Mongol invasion.

We need protection from these banking cretins. The Courts are steadily taking ever larger bites out of the 1974 Act (following on from the big bite that the 2006 Act removed). Thus, the Judiciary also needs to be made aware that people are wise to this, and have simply had enough.

We deserve and demand some real Financial Democracy, not the grasping and incompetent banking dictatorship that we are currently lumbered with.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

Interesting points well made BRW. Looks like demonstrations, petitions and celebrity figures to raise awareness are what's coming out of the discussion at the moment.

I also think it's worth people writing to their MPs with their own views, and perhaps finding out who their candidates are in the opposition parties for the election, and asking them what they intend to do if voted in.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking for myself Nattie, I work full time and have a family so have to do what I can, when I can.

We all give what we can give of our time and life sometimes gets in the way.

Thank you for the link, but what is being discussed here is alternatives to run along side efforts that others are making in other areas, such as with the OFT and producing new POCs.

I am still trying to get my head around this issue but what "alternatives"?

Petitions and demonstrations(for clarity)?

If others wish to pursue your ideas that is their choice, but I have to confine my own energies to areas where I think I'm most likely to be effective, and leave those with the time and inclination to deal with the OFT to do so.

Not sure I have given any ideas on the thread but merely stated that the media battle on fighting bank charges is one that we are losing.

If you wish to discuss what's happening with the OFT I would politely request that you start a thread about it as it's off topic for this one.

With respect, I still don't know what is on and off topic since as site team you are directing people here and not the announcements which are about the "other alternative"(??)

Feel free to provide a link on here, then those on this thread can see what you have to say and comment if they have something to say.

Caro, what is the thread specifically about? What are the "alternative debate" cos I just want to understand that part of it.

If is a petition, what is it going to ask for(since the response unfortunately is interconnected to what is happening). If it is a demonstration, then who or what is it against and what is it for(since MEDIA coverage would be essential to get your message across)?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Well, let's start a list of what we want changed - we can decide on banks only or including other issues later if we go for a demonstration.

As this is about banks we can start a list here or on the other thread. Caro's on the site team so I'll leave it up to her as to where we put it, so to speak. :) Or we could start a new thread?

I'll happily write to Michael MacIntyre, although I think that would be about including DCAs as he obviously feels very strongly about them, but would it be better coming officially from CAG, especially as Marc has been on the news over the banks?

DD

Apologies Caro, I think we cross posted and the bottom of you post has the answers I was looking for.

1) petition

2) demonstration

3) Celebrity involvement/endorsement if possible.

Is that right?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

The point is to formulate ideas yourbank, and has not yet reached the stage of specifics. I don't know about any alternative debates, whatever you mean by that.

What's Best for You?

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Caro, to clarify, you have said OFT test case related or new arguments to be kept off this specific thread.

So to clarify, so far there are three things so far.

1) Petition--I am fairly certain of the response if one was made today and we need to get 500 signatures for at least a response.

2) Demonstration: needs to be specific in terms of what it aimed at and needs media coverage.

3) Celebrity endorsement of said alternatives to the legal argument if one is able to step up to the plate(so far Micheal McIntyre has been suggested).

Well, let's start a list of what we want changed - we can decide on banks only or including other issues later if we go for a demonstration.

As this is about banks we can start a list here or on the other thread. Caro's on the site team so I'll leave it up to her as to where we put it, so to speak. :) Or we could start a new thread?

I'll happily write to Michael MacIntyre, although I think that would be about including DCAs as he obviously feels very strongly about them, but would it be better coming officially from CAG, especially as Marc has been on the news over the banks?

DD

To be honest Daniella, I think the subject of bank charges, DCAs, charges for not using DDs etc, are not exactly the same, and that it may muddy the waters to link them.

These are all issues that need addressing, and as you rightly say, Michael MacIntyre made his feelings clear. I think it would be an excellent idea for you to write to him and see how he responds.

Once we are all agreed on the petition title it would be useful to put in a prominent place i.e on the front page of the CAG site and maybe every forum to collect signatures.

Sounds like a plan.:)

Apologies Caro, I think we cross posted and the bottom of you post has the answers I was looking for.

1) petition

2) demonstration

3) Celebrity involvement/endorsement if possible.

Is that right?

And any other ideas peeps come up with. Think my post crossed too.:)

What's Best for You?

While your thinking, heres one I made earlier, please sign

Petition to: reduce the time Credit reference agencies hold data for to 3 years. | Number10.gov.uk

"To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often"

Yes, I agree to at least a 50% reduction in time. As it stands it likens to a criminal record, especially if a debt is paid and cleared. How can you possibly kick start the economy with draconian rules, and it doesn't mean you want this lowered because you want to borrow money, before anyone gets on their soap box. It can affect other issues like getting a job in Banking or a financial institution. I'm sure Yourbank knows about this, as you are in Banking I believe.

Edited by determindator

Signed now 451 interesting that this petition does not run out until July 2010 maybe thats where the other one went wrong

By the time this one runs out we will be lead by a new government not sure though if that is good or bad

PF

If I have been of help to you please feel free to click my scales to the left Thanks.:)

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is what I have learnt here and offered as a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

CARTER V Co-Op

BANK CHARGES

REFUNDED £3567

POMPEYFAITH V Co-Op PPI

OFFER MADE BUT REFUSED

ONGOING AND STILL ONGOING

NOW WITH THE OMBUDSMAN

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Thanks Jan.

What's Best for You?

I am for a campaign against the Banks. After joining this forum, I have exercised my rights and I am frankly appalled the way Banks and DCA's behave, ignoring the rules and laws. After trying to write to the OFT, Banking Standards Board, the trading standards and the Fos, they are all but useless. None of them appear to want to enforce their rules and the whole system appears not to be fit for purpose.

Consumers need protection and the only way to resolve things is to go through the courts. Most of us have no money to pay for high flying legal teams and the banks win when they should not. An immediate overhaul of the system needs to be done. This year, more and more people will get into financial trouble and the banks will get aways with it.

I have signed the petition Termi , now standing at 457 ! .....we'll get there ... :D

Caro , I think a good approach in this election year is through MPs .... if they think they've got a sound platform by supporting us against the greed of the banks ...... chances are they'll go for it , if only to win themselves votes .. :rolleyes:...and the more MPs who get pestered about it .. the more likely it is to end up as a Debate/ Private Members Bill in the House ......IMHO ..

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Update on what the population of Iceland are doing:

BBC News - Iceland plans vote on bank payout

They are now going to hold a referendum on the issue of lumbering their people with debts caused by their bankers.

I'd like to see something similar here, i.e. let the banks collapse, it's their mess, not ours. Let's replace their whole rotten system with something better. Sure, it will hurt. But, we'll get over it eventually. Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

Cheers,

BRW

I have signed the petition Termi , now standing at 457 ! .....we'll get there ... :D

Caro , I think a good approach in this election year is through MPs .... if they think they've got a sound platform by supporting us against the greed of the banks ...... chances are they'll go for it , if only to win themselves votes .. :rolleyes:...and the more MPs who get pestered about it .. the more likely it is to end up as a Debate/ Private Members Bill in the House ......IMHO ..

Couldn't agree more Johnny. Next question is what form this should take for maximum impact? Letters and emails from individuals will obviously help, but doesn't really grab the necessary attention.

What do we think about asking if the Moneysavingexpert site wants to connect to the same online petition with us? Maybe Facebook and other social network sites also.

Hi to JM, Caro and supporters on this thread.

You might be on to something there Termi. If Martin Lewis could be persuaded to lend his support it could well boost numbers. Sadly not everyone on MSE is sympathetic to people being charged by banks, but I'm sure a lot of people who read his newsletter will follow the bank charges issue, and may lend their support.

Have you had any thoughts on wording or would you like me to draft something as a starting point for discussion?

Update on what the population of Iceland are doing:

BBC News - Iceland plans vote on bank payout

They are now going to hold a referendum on the issue of lumbering their people with debts caused by their bankers.

I'd like to see something similar here, i.e. let the banks collapse, it's their mess, not ours. Let's replace their whole rotten system with something better. Sure, it will hurt. But, we'll get over it eventually. Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

Cheers,

BRW

Just goes to show what people power can do, and nice to see a government listening to its electorate. All we need to do now is work out how to get the people of this country to stand up and make our politicians listen.

Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone who's posted.:-)

What's Best for You?