Bank Charges Campaign Continues

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thats mine done and dusted :-)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:wink:
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

That's the Scottish mods done and dusted then. :-)

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Just come off the phone to my local MP.

Have an appointment to see him personnally on a one to one basis on 25th August at his Local Office.

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Just come off the phone to my local MP.

Have an appointment to see him personnally on a one to one basis on 25th August at his Local Office.

Sounds interesting NightOwl :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Might need a hand to hold CB!!!! :D

Got Debt problems?

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Might need a hand to hold CB!!!! :D

Might be worth you drafting a list of questions you want answers to !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Might be worth you drafting a list of questions you want answers to !

Good idea.

Could be a long list!! Will narrow it down to the main points though!

Got Debt problems?

Good idea.

Could be a long list!! Will narrow it down to the main points though!

Have a word with Caro, I am sure she will be more than happy to help :)

BCOBS

Thanks CB.

Caro, your inbox is full!!! get out the hoover!

Got Debt problems?

I've PM'd you my email addy NO. :-D

Cheers Caro :D

Got Debt problems?

'termi your inbox is full too!!

Got Debt problems?

'termi your inbox is full too!!

You can pm me :madgrin:

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

PM sent MD :D

Got Debt problems?

Thinking of you and your family LL.

Life is difficult enough sometimes without the likes of Swift adding to the really important problems in life with their blood-sucking!:mad2:

I see that Martin Lewis has interviewed Treasury Minister Mark Hoban, and raised the issue of bank charges. Thanks Martin. :-)

Section 4: Bank charges

Martin: We’re going to move off the mortgage and savings type issues for the moment and stick with some of the big picture stuff. Bank charges. We’ve spoken about this in the past. There are still a lot of people who have been burnt by this system that effectively cross-subsidies from the poor to the rich and penalises people,and they have snowball charges of hundreds and thousands of pounds. Then there was the Supreme Court technical ruling that said bank charges didn’t need to be fair, rather than that they were fair. Is that all closed forever from your perspective, for people getting back money that they’ve already paid out?

Mark Hoban: What we’re fixing on is how to tackle this problem going forward in the light of the Supreme Court case judgement.

Martin: Under one law?

Mark Hoban: Yeah, but the Supreme Court is the highest court in the land, that was the view that they reached.

Martin: We have legal advice saying that under The Consumer Credit Act, there is a fairness duty. I don’t think we ever fully tried this out in court. It was just under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations that this ruling went and I do think there is still a large amount of doubt over this. Having said that, the banks got there, had their day in court and they won on that particular ruling, so I accept the point that the Supreme Court ruled on one point of law, but I don’t think we’ve ever fully tested all the law on this.

Mark Hoban: No, but I think what we should do is actually look forward and say what can we do to make this work for the better, to try to put the pressure on banks to reduce their charges and I think we’ve seen quite a bit of progress being made since that judgement to help tackle this area. I think the average costs have gone down from about £34 to £14.

Martin: And the structures have changed, in general I will accept it has. Certainly, the one thing that the campaign to reclaim bank charges did was pressurise banks and help politicians pressurise banks into lowering bank charges across the board, so what would you say to someone like the Clydesdale and Yorkshire Bank, who still charge £35 per transaction, rather than many of the others, who now do it per day on lower amounts, do you think it needs to get its act together?

Mark Hoban: Well, I think that banks should look at their charging structures, I think that…

Martin: Because that hasn’t changed at all.

Mark Hoban: No, and I think that a lot of banks have made progress on this. I think what we’d like to see is more movement on a voluntary basis, having the banks tackle this problem, but we’ve made it clear that if that doesn’t work, then we will legislate.

Martin: And what’s the timescale on that legislation?

Mark Hoban: Well, we published a consultation document last year on a series of issues around consumer credit. We’ve been working with the banks to find a way in which we’ll take action on a voluntary basis, as happened previously. I think that there are some big challenges elsewhere around and obviously the Independent Commission on Banking is going to report in September, but I think that switching, that transparency costs are important disciplines to have. Banks show that they’re sharpening up their act to give consumers much more power and choice.

Full interview here.

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2011/08/08/tackling-treasury-minister-mark-hoban-on-bank-charges-savings-mortgages-more/

Seems the government still aren't prepared to take the bull by the horns!!:mad2:

I agree caro ,, but when you see the constituency Mark Hoban represents (Fareham , Hants ) , I shouldn't think many of his constituents will be howling about Bank Charges rip-offs :roll:. He is quite safe in stonewalling the way he did with Martin Lewis ... i.e. let's move forward and forget the people who were ripped off in the past ... GRRR! :mad2:.

btw I'm sorry I can't make the meet on Saturday ... but I wish you all a convivial evening ... regards to yourself Caro , Pete , PD ,Termi Tills, and anyone else who remembers me from two years ago ... family commitments mean I can't be there ... :(

Edited by johnnymitch
wrong day DOH!

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Sorry you can't make it too. :-(

Maybe next time.

On the brighter side I see Mike Dailly is in court tomorrow representing Ms Sharp against Bank of Scotland. Rather surprisingly apparently the sheriff hasn't been named. Let's hope it's a judge with b@lls.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248268-Sheriff-puts-Bank-of-Scotland-to-proof-on-bank-charges&p=3520169&viewfull=1#post3520169

When will we hear what has happened ?

BCOBS

Looks like it's a long way off yet CB. Seems it's a rule 18 hearing (whatever that means lol).

Civil Procedure in the Sheriff Court

Amendment

At any debate one or other party may appear and move the court to discharge the debate and to continue the case for amendment. In order to avoid being found liable for the expenses of preparation for any debate it is more sensible if the party who has resolved to amend does so well in advance of the debate, by enrolling a written motion seeking leave to amend. Amendment is regulated by OCR 18. Typically a party will enrol a motion seeking:

(a) discharge of a diet of debate;

(b) permission for their minute of amendment to be received;

© a period of time for the opponent to answer;

(d) a period of time for the parties to adjust their pleadings in the light of the minute and answers

(e) a
Rule 18 hearing
at which the court will in the usual course of things allow the record to be opened up and amended in terms of the minute and answers and deal with further procedure as well as expenses of the amendment procedure.

Night Owl, I thought of something you might like to ask your MP about, although you might need to do a bit of homework on it first.

I was thinking about what the Supreme Court judges said about there may be scope for charges to be unlawful. Perhaps you could ask your MP if anyone is doing anything to look at what was said to further investigate if bank charges are indeed unlawful.

If a senior judge has said that they are, then surely it warrants further investigation.:wink:

Just after the general election, the above petition which had in excess of 200 sigs on, was blocked by the new government. They gave some excuse of updating their systems etc and it was given g a long time to run. I'm going to look into this as it is the beginning of a Campaign I want to take forward.

http://www.hmg.gov.uk/

So, e-petitions prior to new government. I'm on a hunt now.

Edited by determindator

Just after the general election, the above petition which had in excess of 200 sigs on, was blocked by the new government. They gave some excuse of updating their systems etc and I gave it a long time to run. I'm going to look into this as it is the beginning of a Campaign I want to take forward.

http://www.hmg.gov.uk/

So, e-petitions prior to new government. I'm on a hunt now.

HI

Yes the Downing street service has been discontinued and replaced with this http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_066327

100000 signatures and they guarantee a hearing!!!!

Peter