Bank Charges Campaign Continues

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And of course Captain Mainwaring ( although I'm not sure he's a great example of a banker! ) :lol:

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Courtesy of Stella Creasy MP.

It is now very expensive to be a member of the squeezed middle in this country. Vince Cable once accused the high street banks of “ripping off” their customers. But given the chance to do something, the government has instead today reneged on previous coalition commitments to act on “unfair” bank charges and cap the excessive costs of credit cards and store cards.

In 2006 an OFT study showed a third of all bank profits from current accounts came from “unauthorised overdraft charges”. The government claim that the situation has improved since then as industry pressure has seen charges reduced – from £35 to an average of £14. This is small consolation to the millions of people now regularly going into the red. The numbers who say they are likely to use an unauthorised overdraft has nearly doubled this year, from 900,000 to 1.6 million. Even with downward pressure on charges, research showed that customers are being charged an average of 167% a year on unauthorised overdrafts, once fees and penalties are taken into account. Little wonder the legal loan sharks claim justification for their activities, by arguing that they are cheaper than relying on your bank.

Full article here. http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2011/11/21/loan-sharks-the-governments-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat/

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

:-D Good to see this was sorted, please don't stop there though!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4017096/Ministers-to-ban-excessive-card-charge-fees.html

Keep the faith:-D

Edited by determindator

Nice early Christmas present. A shame that the Vickers report didn't take a firm stance on bank charges though.

What's Best for You?

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Banks are charging more than PDL companies for unauthorised overdrafts - up to 800,000%!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16002022

What's Best for You?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I see that BankFodder has some ideas on fighting the banks using BCOBs based on fairness.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes. In my view charges are clearly unfair, but unfortunately it's not me who has to be convinced. It'll be interesting to see the theory tested.

Let's hope it's a good new year for everyone who's been screwed by the banks!!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?825-BCOB-the-hidden-rules

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?826-How-Can-BCOB-Protect-You-From-Your-Bank-s-Unfair-Treatmen

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?824-Does-your-bank-play-fair

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?827-Examples-of-unfair-treament

What's Best for You?

Even more good news Caro:-D Must keep it all flowing into the New Year 2012, that special year where the bad world could end and a good world begin. Talking about fairness, I recently spoke to Santander who told me they offer various mortgage rates to customers depending on their risk. Basically the higher the risk. the higher the interest rate! Greece was mentioned and how lending rates to them would be high. I said 'well then even less chance of the lender getting their money back then!' Had a philosophical conversation and said to them 'If you treated everyone the same which is fair and gave the best possible rates, the sub-prime lending would never have existed and not cause the implosion it did (BTW I hear FM + FM are being prosecuted for their role in this demise) If you give the best rates possible to everyone then it is more clear who cannot afford repayments, not give extortionate rates and say you can't afford it. How ridiculous.

Same with Bank Charges, making it worse for those who can least afford it. When will the Banks be made to charge the amount it actually costs to return or pay an unpaid item for lack of funds?

I'm so glad Bank Fodder is moving mountains:-D

What's Best for You?

• 3 months later...

:-DMike Dailly is still very much on the banks case. Not only has he got Santander to fold and pay back charges

Unfair bank charges update from GLClisten_en_uk.gif

banks.jpg

GLC has settled a claim in full for the refund for overdraft charges with Santander UK plc. The claim was settled extra-judicially after proceedings had been raised utlising new legal and factual arguments.

Some of these arguments (but not all) are scheduled to be tested in the cases of Reid v. Clydesdale Bank plc, and Sharp v. Bank of Scotland plc.

A debate will take at Glasgow Sheriff Court on 2 April 2012 in the case of Reid v. Clydesdale Bank plc, with GLC's Mike Dailly appearing for the pursuer, and Clydesdale's in-house legal team and counsel appearing for the defender

he's also been busy with the BBA. http://www.fs-cp.org.uk/publications/pdf/md-bba-complaints-speech20120315.pdf

Keep up the good work Mike!!

What's Best for You?

Keep up the good work Mike!!

Yes indeed :thumb:

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe we should be looking further afield for hope ...

http://www.sven-giegold.de/2012/high-level-banking-conference/

What's Best for You?

• 1 month later...

Looks like the tide is finally turning!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

http://govanlc.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/glc-unfair-bank-charges-update-phase-2.html

Edited by the_shadow

What's Best for You?

Doesn't it just!!

It's been a long time coming but I always knew it was inevitable. There is no way on this earth that bank charges can be right!!!!

What's Best for You?

Is there any reason I can't view that link? http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...-Viewing)-nbsp

username44, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. You may not have sufficient posts to permit you to carry out your intended action

Would like to see whats happening?

Is there any reason I can't view that link? http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...-Viewing)-nbsp

username44, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. You may not have sufficient posts to permit you to carry out your intended action

Would like to see whats happening?

Yep the link goes to a restricted part of the forum.. try this one instead..

http://govanlc.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/glc-unfair-bank-charges-update-phase-2.html

S.

Apologies username. It's just admin and back room stuff to do with running the forum. I must have accidentally posted a wrong link.

Thanks for sorting it shadow.

What's Best for You?

ohh sort of sad that there is no 'secret place' :wink: love a mystery. Anyway it wouldn't be a very good secret if everybody knew it existed!

Good stuff about bank charges for all those that need to claim. Off default hunting again.

• 1 month later...

Be interesting to attend this but I think the cost may be a tad prohibitive for us non-bankers. http://www.bba.org.uk/events-and-training/event/eu-regulatory-update-seminar-retail-banking/programme

I know this thread's been quiet of late but times they are a-changing in bank regulation. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/aug/13/fsa-financial-enforecement-tracey-mcdermott?newsfeed=true

What's Best for You?

It would be good if someone could go to the BBA event on behalf of all of CAG, like you Caro. I'd contribute to a fund to cover your costs. At least Mike Dailly will be there and he represents the consumer voice. It's good to see things tightening up even if it's coming from Europe. I am concerned the Finance Bill going through Parliament will be watered down by the effect of banker lobbyists and party funders. Let's hope there will be more people with Tracey McDermott's skills at the FCA. SJ