Dog Attack - - - Advice Needed, Please.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5255 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i mentioned before about these jokes about dogs and fingers

i will be requesting the thread be closed down if it continues

seeing your finger on the ground after being bitten off by a dog is beyond belief

the emotional turmoil in its self

ive know postman who have had there fingers amputated also through infection from dog bites

AND YOU PEOPLE MAKE LITE JOKES ABOUT IT

START TO REJOIN THE HUMAN RACE

Edited by postggj

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah don't close it, just remove my comments from it if you're that bothered, and I promise I won't reply on it again. It's not fair for 'questioner' to suffer because I'm being a clown. Deal?

Mattaius, I'll hold you to that promise. If you break it, then everyone will know whose fault it is when the thread is closed.

In additiion, your account will be put on moderation.

Fair?

Rooster-UK.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Listen guys

I can stand to be the object of abuse and jokes if it makes some posters feel better in them selves to scapegoat me for the personal problems, fears or inadequacies they may carry inside themselves.

I know its huge fun to laugh at the misfortunes of others but that of course has its limits.

Before I got ripped by that dog I may well have felt the same way that some the more callous know-all, life-style perfectionists felt on here.

I have to say that I heard many dogs at many doors and always took precautions but, like the mountain climber who missed that last foothold, I made a simple mistake and paid the price. I heard nothing at this house and thought the place was empty. But this was no excuse to mistreat me here. Why so much hate?

I came on this thread to simply gather a little bit of advice and that was all. I did not seek sympathy or understanding for the injury – just a bit of legal guidance. The bits I did get were helpful too.

I would personally like the thread to stay open please, if the flamers will permit it, so that I can tell you what happens next. Any kid delivering leaflets can make a similar mistake and end up worse than I did. And yes – I still get pain and discomfort in the finger.

For some reason this issue created great emotions, which is just so crazy. And again yes - I can give back much more that I get as some who know about me on this site could tell you.

Personally though, if I want violence I will take it out on my six feet punch bag and leave such base things off great forums like this one...

CAG is utterly vital to the wellbeing of the 21st century consumer. We have been badly let down by the so-called unbiased authorities, such as FOS, so we need to band together and recruit the public to get with it, wake up and support CAG now..

We need to be out there, telling it like it is now – not squabbling like rooks in a tree.

Fighting amongst each other helps no one but the disgusting banks and DCAs, therefore let’s keep it real and remember who the enemy really is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Questioner

I was very sorry to read this thread. I hope you are feeling better now.

As a dog behaviourist I know that it is often the dogs that don't warn before striking that are the most dangerous. I have to say though that I have never heard of this ever happening before but it is something that I will remember and keep at the back of my mind if I have clients who have dogs that like to tear up the mail. A simple cage at the back of the door would solve the problem and obviously would have stopped this horrendous event happening.

I don't think that a warden has any legal right to demand the owner put up a sign or have a cage installed but it may be that this is what they advised the owner to do in case, as you say, a child puts its hands through the letterbox at some stage in the future. That would be terrible!

I have never thought about the dangers of leaflet delivering, nor indeed the dangers that our postmen and woman face each day in light of your thread. I will put a warning on some of the dog forums I moderate on to let people know the dangers if their dogs are aggressive to callers (ie postmen, delivery people etc.,). At least I can then feel I have done something to stop this happening again.

I do hope you feel better in the future and, I have to say, that if one of my dogs had carried out such an attack (but they're all softies - more likely to lick your hand than bite it!) I would be beside myself with worry about you. The owner does nothing to promote responsible dog ownership.

I do think that this would be a very difficult case to prove but perhaps if you had received more concern from the owner initially you wouldn't be feeling like this now. It is horrible for this to have happened and I will do my best to warn other dog owners about the possibility.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best wishes

Gemspan

• Haha 2

Thank you Gemspan for your kind concern.

The owners initial reaction, when he saw me standing their covered in blood was, flippant - he was really not that bothered and quickly closed the door on me. I think his partner must have worried him though and seen the potential legal dangers hence his subsequent visit to the hospital to find me.

His main concern turned out to be whether or not I had informed the authorities. WHEN I INFORMED HIM THAT I HAD, HE SWIFTLY LEFT THE HOSPITAL.

The people who I delivered for were sympathetic but nothing more.

Hi Questioner

I was very sorry to read this thread. I hope you are feeling better now.

As a dog behaviourist I know that it is often the dogs that don't warn before striking that are the most dangerous. I have to say though that I have never heard of this ever happening before but it is something that I will remember and keep at the back of my mind if I have clients who have dogs that like to tear up the mail. A simple cage at the back of the door would solve the problem and obviously would have stopped this horrendous event happening.

I don't think that a warden has any legal right to demand the owner put up a sign or have a cage installed but it may be that this is what they advised the owner to do in case, as you say, a child puts its hands through the letterbox at some stage in the future. That would be terrible!

I have never thought about the dangers of leaflet delivering, nor indeed the dangers that our postmen and woman face each day in light of your thread. I will put a warning on some of the dog forums I moderate on to let people know the dangers if their dogs are aggressive to callers (ie postmen, delivery people etc.,). At least I can then feel I have done something to stop this happening again.

I do hope you feel better in the future and, I have to say, that if one of my dogs had carried out such an attack (but they're all softies - more likely to lick your hand than bite it!) I would be beside myself with worry about you. The owner does nothing to promote responsible dog ownership.

I do think that this would be a very difficult case to prove but perhaps if you had received more concern from the owner initially you wouldn't be feeling like this now. It is horrible for this to have happened and I will do my best to warn other dog owners about the possibility.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best wishes

Gemspan

Thanks from me also for your input Gemspan...probably the most constructive contribution made on this thread! :)

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Thanks from me also for your input Gemspan...probably the most constructive contribution made on this thread! :)

I'll 2nd that comment.:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you Gemspan for your kind concern.

The owners initial reaction, when he saw me standing their covered in blood was, flippant - he was really not that bothered and quickly closed the door on me. I think his partner must have worried him though and seen the potential legal dangers hence his subsequent visit to the hospital to find me.

His main concern turned out to be whether or not I had informed the authorities. WHEN I INFORMED HIM THAT I HAD, HE SWIFTLY LEFT THE HOSPITAL.

The people who I delivered for were sympathetic but nothing more.

This is what it makes it a bit suspect. I'm still wondering what breed of dog we are talking about. I still say the police should have investigated to make sure it wasn't an ilegal breed, especially after the tragic Liverpool case.

I still say the police should have investigated to make sure it wasn't an ilegal breed, especially after the tragic Liverpool case

How could the police be influenced by something that had yet to happen - or are you suggesting they should revisit every complaint involving dogs over the last ?? years?

How could the police be influenced by something that had yet to happen - or are you suggesting they should revisit every complaint involving dogs over the last ?? years?

What are you talking about hightail? The OP reported the incident to the police and as such, they have a duty to investigate if any offence has been commited, thats what the police are there for. For all we know, the dog in question may be an ilegal breed, if so an offence is being commited even without the incident. The OP's version of the owner's behaviour following the incident seems to me as suspect.

What are you talking about hightail?

The first words of the first post of this thread

Dog attack

Date – Spring 08

Your suggestion that the police should do more "especially after the tragic Liverpool case" makes no sense when the OP was bitten over a year earlier.

Your suggestion that the police should do more "especially after the tragic Liverpool case" makes no sense when the OP was bitten over a year earlier.

When the OP was bitten is irrelevant if the law has been broken. The dangerous dogs act has existed for many years and incidents involving dog attacks (whether it occurs on private property or not) should be investigated by the police to ensure the dog in question is not an illegal breed. If the dog in this case is not an illegal breed and every thing is above board then fair enough, the OP has little chance of bringing a prosecution which has already been pointed out. But it should still be looked into. If you lived next door to this property and had children, how would you feel if this dog managed to attack one of your kids and it turned out to be an illegal breed which the police should of detected from the earlier incident? Now do you get my point?

I also informed the Dog Warden – who has since spoken to the owner and I believe warned him to keep his dog under proper control

Again, from the very first post. There is nothing (at least nothing in the reported facts) to suggest the matter was not properly investigated.

To the original OP - sorry about some of the replies you have received. Having been the victim of a dog attack myself ( an alsatian belonging to a family member) I understand the consequences can last for some time.I also had no warning of the attack and was inside the owners house at the time. I also ended up in hospital for treatment.

It took me a long time to re- build my confidence - so imagine my reaction a few years later when delivering leaflets ( very carefully ) as i pushed the leaflet in the door pushed open ( it was not secured) an behind it was an alsation with his teeth bared. I just totally froze.Luckily the owner appeared and grabbed him by the collar - but to this day I have never delivered another leaflet.

By the way I am now the proud owner of a lovely soppy Lurcher. But I still do not let him stay by the front door when we are not in. He would only bark but I understand it actually puts a lot of pressure on the dog as they feel they are constantly trying to protect their owners.He is also trained to sit when we invite people in the house.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Thanks Jansus

At least if you can see what you are facing you can have a chance to defend against the attack. When you have not seen (or heard) your attacker it takes on a different meaning altogether. The shock factor at the time was incredible and unexpected.

Thankfully I am still able to cope with any dogs and have no fear of them after the attack. Mine is a big and powerful hound and I suppose that helps a lot.

I will just have to see what the solicitor says next and take it from there.

Irrespective of the breed of dog, I believe that owners should be responsible enough to prevent any incidents like this.

We have a Lab & a Rottie and its the Lab that barks like mad whenever someone is at the door. The rottie sits on the stairs so that he can see who it is before slobbering all over them!!

However, this doesn't help when the person at the door has been so influenced by the media into believing that all rotties are devil-spawn whose sole existence is to maul everyone to death. My mother also believes this & refuses to visit us now!!!

Our rottie used to shred post so we secured a post box to the front of our door on the outside so that a) post remains secure & b) no hands can push through the letterbox & trigger a reaction from either of our dogs.

However, this doesn't help when the person at the door has been so influenced by the media into believing that all rotties are devil-spawn whose sole existence is to maul everyone to death.

So true - my rottie was great with people and so friendly. The gutter press have a lot to answer for in creating hysteria about such lovely dogs. He was not eager to be friendly with other dogs though and saw himself as the boss.