Meter Mix Up

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5294 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I live in a new build property and there was a mix up in the MSN numbers so that I was being billed for my neighbours electricity. the energy company is saying they set up the meter on info given to them by the developer and that I cannot apply the code of practice for accurate billing because it was not there fault. i am trying to get information from the developer to show they provided the energy company with the correct information but as of yet they have not provided it. In the meantime i have been left in debt because my neighbour was using less electricity than me and I was sent an underpayment bill. if the developer is found to be at fault is there anything i can do?

Yep take them to the Small Claims Court, fairly straight forward. Obviously you send them letters to say it's there fault and they must pay. If they refuse then threaten court action then finally do it.

Also, you need to get in touch with the people responsible for installing the meters. Phone your electricity supplier and ask them which company carries out alterations in your area. They will be culpable too.

the property is a new build and i assume the developer was responsible for contracting some company to do the installation

• 3 weeks later...
Yep take them to the Small Claims Court, fairly straight forward. Obviously you send them letters to say it's there fault and they must pay. If they refuse then threaten court action then finally do it.
I spoke to consumer direct who said the developer cannot be held responsible. they also said regardless of mix up I used the electricity and must therefore pay.