Introducing adult cats.... any bright ideas?

PriorityOne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Also the vet would do a free scan to see if he's microchipped :wink:

Yes.... I will ask the Vet. That way, I have more of a legit. reason for making contact with the owner, although it won't stop their cat from living in my house. What a dilemma... :|

Strange thing cats, with their pecking order. They make their own rules up!

I have 3 ducks and it's very straight forward with them..top female, second class female and male who "thinks" he's the boss. (But even the low rank female is much brighter and runs rings round him, she always finds busy busy things to do out of his way at the bottom of the garden when she knows he's in the mood for luuurv).

Sounds familiar :lol:

:lol:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The duck thing may I say is excellent. In the Spring, I have noted that the drakes get very violent and the poor females really take a bashing. Cat thing I have noted that age,male and willing to put up a fight for top slot seems to be the order of the day.

Good idea down the vets for microchipping, I doubt very much that the owners care that is why he is coming around.

They are fascinating. I reared these from 2 days old so they think I'm their Mum and run round after me everywhere even though they're huge now (goose sized). Jamie the male is not so much violent as persistent, he yanks and nibbles at the females neck feathers till she sighs and gives in. Straight after, she runs away as fast as she can and has a bath LOL.

Here they are, coming to get their lettuce treat :roll:

The crested one is the drake, Nova is the black female. She's the real boss.

ducks-061.jpg

They are fascinating. I reared these from 2 days old so they think I'm their Mum and run round after me everywhere even though they're huge now (goose sized). Jamie the male is not so much violent as persistent, he yanks and nibbles at the females neck feathers till she sighs and gives in. Straight after, she runs away as fast as she can and has a bath LOL.

Here they are, coming to get their lettuce treat :roll:

The crested one is the drake, Nova is the black female. She's the real boss.

Awwwwww...... they're gorgeous!!! :-)

**Update**

Well.... I took cat no. 5 to the vet this morning and he was scanned but there's no microchip. The vet confirmed that he's NOT been neutered (why do people have cats and not neuter/spay them?!.. :x).. so I said that I was prepared to take him on and pay for it to be done but please could they do it as soon as possible 'coz I am off work this week.....

So... he's booked in for tomorrow morning... and is currently in the garage in a comfy bed, with food and water until 7pm this evening.... when I need to remove the food.

Sorted. :-)

Well done P1. It's a shame more pet owners aren't as responsible as you!

Thanks Elsa.... I had a smilar conversation at the vet's yesterday.... :evil:

He's having the op. this morning. I kept him in overnight but the garage was pungent this morning, so I need to check whether that's just his tray or something else.... but I suspect it's just his tray. Unneutered... erm.... wee tends to be stronger smelling. The drive down the vet's was a bit smelly this morning too.... :|

How anyone can keep an animal smelling like that, I'll never know. He's not sprayed in my house or anything but by the smell of things, it might have been a matter of time. If people can't be bothered to look after animals properly, then they shouldn't have them. :evil: If money's an issue, the Cat's Protection League give vouchers to people on a low income for half the cost of a castration/spay, so it just needs some effort to find out.

I've just washed out the cat carrier and will put fresh bedding in there before he comes home..... :-)

I just knew you would do it!!! Sometimes you just cant help but take them on, you just cannot resist. Trouble is a cat will find its own home if it doesnt like where it is presently, unlike a dog who will just stay loyal. obviously you have been chosen. What will you name him?

Aww bless, I bet he'll be a lot less whiffy once the testosterone's got out of his system. Their spray smells foul (to us, LOL) and it's really hard to get rid of it. Biological laundry fluid is good as it digests the particles causing the pong.

I think everything that comes out of cats is far smellier and yuckier than dogs. Still love em though! :wink:

My grand old lady died just before Christmas, thankfully in her sleep at home as I'd hoped for. I said I'd have no more, but keep finding myself looking at the rescue ads...

We live next to open fields and I had two small ducks murdered by either rats or a stoat last year, it was awful. I keep them as pets, not for eating and they were so sweet and innocent.

I also have a lot of hand tame wild birds that were born in the garden (my husband calls me the bird woman, LOL) and my old cat never chased birds.

I've been racking my brains what to get that would catch rats but not hurt the ducks or birds.

An owl???? LOL

I just knew you would do it!!! Sometimes you just cant help but take them on, you just cannot resist. Trouble is a cat will find its own home if it doesnt like where it is presently, unlike a dog who will just stay loyal. obviously you have been chosen. What will you name him?

He's called Sidney.... lol....:-) Yep... I knew I'd probably do it too..... I just wish they'd stop spreading the word about moving in here though 'coz I have no room for any more!!! lol... :p

Aww bless, I bet he'll be a lot less whiffy once the testosterone's got out of his system. Their spray smells foul (to us, LOL) and it's really hard to get rid of it. Biological laundry fluid is good as it digests the particles causing the pong.

I think everything that comes out of cats is far smellier and yuckier than dogs. Still love em though! :wink:

My grand old lady died just before Christmas, thankfully in her sleep at home as I'd hoped for. I said I'd have no more, but keep finding myself looking at the rescue ads...

We live next to open fields and I had two small ducks murdered by either rats or a stoat last year, it was awful. I keep them as pets, not for eating and they were so sweet and innocent.

I also have a lot of hand tame wild birds that were born in the garden (my husband calls me the bird woman, LOL) and my old cat never chased birds.

I've been racking my brains what to get that would catch rats but not hurt the ducks or birds.

An owl???? LOL

OMG.... the smell is foul.... !! :faint:Neutered cats don't smell at all though.... so I'm hoping he'll clean himself up once he's home. I only started noticing the smell around him recently and assumed it's because Spring was on the way.....

Yes, those rescue ads are tempting... that's how I started off; with ONE cat who we had for years before he passed away. I'd already got another one by then but she was an outdoor cat at the time, so the place was like an empty shell when my old Jimmy passed away. No chance of that now though! :!: I am the crazy cat lady (Simpsons) :crazy:... lol!

Not sure what you could get for rats Elsa.... that's a toughie. :noidea:

It could take up to a couple of months for his hormones to settle down so don't be worried if he still seems a touch pungent, it will stop.

Ugh.... I see what you mean!!..... :faint2: I don't remember it being this strong with my other toms.... but they were neutered when they were still young, so that's probably why.

Brilliant well done Priority One at least Sidney now has a good home and he must appreciate it already as he's following you around already. It goes without saying that all males are better with their kn*****s removed!

Now Undercover Elsa what you need is my Brucie he is a murderer extroadinaire with rats. Last year he bought in one dead and one alive (but moving and wounded) I was screaming, my husband got the dustpan and brush (to hold it down as it was moving) then he lobbed it but unfortunately it landed next door. My neighbour removed it the next morning but his wife (who loves Bruce) and always likes to give him a kiss and cuddle in the morning did lay off doing this until she found out which of my cats had caught the rat! All good clean fun we didnt mention that my husband had lobbed it we just allowed Bruce to take full credit for the killing!

Ugh.... I see what you mean!!..... :faint2: I don't remember it being this strong with my other toms.... but they were neutered when they were still young, so that's probably why.

Yeah, it will stay pretty bad for a while. He's been the lad around town for a fair while so it's not even just down to age. Having been an 'active' boy his reproductive system is in full go mode and will take time to settle.

Oh yes then his mind will turn to food and that will be his life roaming and food and of course a bit of love from his owner. All males turn like this even the human kind!

Very true Gatecrasher....lol!

He's settled very well, I must say. By that, I mean that he's in much more than he's out now and very, very fussy. I can still smell him but it's not as strong as before and his fur smells a lot cleaner already.

:-)

I don't want to start a seperate thread about this as it would be a constant reminder, but I'm just waiting for the vet to come and look at my beloved German Shepherd Dog I'm so upset I'm shaking. He's ten, and obviously GSDs are known to be prone to hip probs but he's been fine until this morning. I've been up since 4.30 with him..he wanted to go out but his back right leg has completely given way and he couldn't stand up. Tried to support his backend to get him out but he got so distressed fell over and we had to manually lift him back in.

I'm not totally convinced his hips gone, maybe a slipped disc as he can't seem to support his weight on his other leg either.

Got him padded up on a vetbed with plastic and kitchen towels as he's passing urine where he lies (and it's really upsetting him, he's so clean and dignified, keep telling him its OK, he's a good boy but he looks mortified). He's the most gorgeous character.

I rang the vet and they said take him in, but we can barely move him, so I've asked them to come out and evaluate first.

I fear the worst, and if so I don't want him putting through the trauma of being dragged to the vet.

That said, if there's anything that they CAN do, if it's not as bad as it seems, then we'll do whatever it takes.

Forgive me rambling on here, trying to pass the time as they were due to ring after surgery finished at 11, to say when they were setting off. I feel sick.Its awful.

I know those on here will understand

Elsa x

Edited by Undercover-Elsa

I don't want to start a seperate thread about this as it would be a constant reminder, but I'm just waiting for the vet to come and look at my beloved German Shepherd Dog I'm so upset I'm shaking. He's ten, and obviously GSDs are known to be prone to hip probs but he's been fine until this morning. I've been up since 4.30 with him..he wanted to go out but his back right leg has completely given way and he couldn't stand up. Tried to support his backend to get him out but he got so distressed fell over and we had to manually lift him back in.

I'm not totally convinced his hips gone, maybe a slipped disc as he can't seem to support his weight on his other leg either.

Got him padded up on a vetbed with plastic and kitchen towels as he's passing urine where he lies (and it's really upsetting him, he's so clean and dignified, keep telling him its OK, he's a good boy but he looks mortified). He's the most gorgeous character.

I rang the vet and they said take him in, but we can barely move him, so I've asked them to come out and evaluate first.

I fear the worst, and if so I don't want him putting through the trauma of being dragged to the vet.

That said, if there's anything that they CAN do, if it's not as bad as it seems, then we'll do whatever it takes.

Forgive me rambling on here as they were due to ring after surgery finished at 11, to say when they were setting off. I feel sick.Its awful.

I know those on here will understand

Elsa x

Oh Elsa.... that's so sad.... I hope the vet is able to pinpoint and treat the problem...

Some years ago, I had a cat who managed to get through the catflap but was dragging his legs. Being a cat, it was much easier to transport him to the vet.... and after keeping him in overnight they said he'd got a heart problem but that it was treatable, providing I was happy to pay. As he was in no discomfort, I agreed to take the tablets and give them to him every day.... which worked well.

Please let us know what the vet says and big hugs to you..... :hug: x

Elsa, my heart goes out to you. People who don't like animals have absolutely no idea of the joy they can bring to your life, and the hole they leave in your life when they go. I recently had to have my rather ancient rabbit put down. He was a house bunny, so lived with us and was very much part of our home and lives - infact he ruled the cats quite effectively lol. Your dog sounds a grand old boy, and I hope that you can get him sorted. If you vet is anything like mine then he will do everything he can for your dog and you can rest assured that whatever the outcome then you have done your very best.

Lots of love to you. Mrs B. XX

Thankyou both so much for your kindness. The vet's just been, it was degeneration of the spinal cord, massive nerve damage. We did the only thing we could do for him, and he's asleep now. The vet was lovely, he gave him his first puppy injections and he knows what a special dog he was. He said if it was his dog he wouldn't let him suffer. He was happy and fine till yesterday. That at least is a blessing. I can't bear this, just wanted to let you know.

Elsa x