Introducing adult cats.... any bright ideas?

PriorityOne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4823 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya folks,

I've had 2 cats for years who are not the best of friends, but don't hate each other either. Some time ago, I rescued a pregnant cat and she had 6 kittens who I managed to re-home, apart from 1. So I now have 4 cats :eek: who live in different quarters, so to speak.

The Mum has now been spayed and the kitten has now been inoculated and they are lovely together.... so I would really like to keep them, but the introductions with my existing 2 cats have not gone very well so far. :(

The female that I rescued sees my home as her home and will chase my original 2 cats out.... and mine don't even make a stand... they just run straight through the cat flap and don't come back for ages....

I have next week off work and would like to have another go at introducing them gently and properly. I'm not too worried about the kitten at the moment because once Mum has settled in, then he will as well.... 'coz he's still following her everywhere.

I must be mad.... :oops:

Any ideas?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Moving thread to Pets and Vets Forum.

Do you feed them together?

Do you fuss them both together?

You will probably have to let them take their own time.

It will take a lot of patience and perseverence.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

It usually depends on temperaments. What are your original cats? Is either a she cat? I'm not sure what you can do really, with adult cats they'll make their own minds up.

What do you think would happen if you shut the cat flap/their escape route?

Are they just hissing at each other or spitting and growling as well?

You must shut the cat flap so the existing cats don't run away from their own home. They all need to be kept in so you may need to use litter trays for a day or so.

Mum is trying to establish her territory for herself and her kitten.

If she attacks the other cats you need to pick her up, say "Naughty pussy" and take her out of the room leaving the other cats there.

Feed them together and if possible get some cheap fish that you can boil and put it down for all of them together when it's still warm and smelly.

I've brought new cats into my home several time. They'll usually be a bit of a standoff and spitting, but the existing cats absolutely must not be chased out.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

DDx

• Haha 1

My existing cats are male and female; one of each. The female is 10 years old and the male is 5 years old.

I've got enough litter trays to be able to keep them in if necessary, but felt that introducing both of my existing ones to the new one and her kitten would be too much.... so was planning to just focus on the Mum cat one her own. As I've got a week off work, I'm hoping to get the chance to do this... as my 2 are not often both in the house at the same time.

Whenever Mum's chased them out, she's not had her kitten around her... but she may still think she's got to protect him. There is hissing and spitting going on, but the chasing out the catflap is my main worry right now. The last time she did it, I did tell her off and put her back in her separate place... I'll have to have another go this weekend and will take all of your comments on board.

I could get some coley.... :)

Good idea! mine love coley. I just buy the frozen stuff in Tesco's (cos its boneless) and microwave it - usually when its on offer. They like the white fish too though.

I always think if any are going to be difficult its the she cats. So I think the kitten will be OK when his turn comes as long as you can get the two she's sorted.

At least you haven't had growling yet.

• Haha 1

My older she cat does not like male cats. She came as the third cat - big old boy, and female slightly older than her. They were all together for about seven years. She absolutely hated the boy (who died in 2005), but got on very well with the other female cat who died early last year. Then everyone told me to get a boy cat of around her own age, but I didn't think that would work so got a six month old female - again everyone said not to get a kitten.

It has worked brilliantly. Apart from a few hisses and growls at the beginning the older cat accepted the kitten and made it quite clear that she was in charge.

The point I'm making is that you can't generalise about cats. Like us, they have their own personalities. For nine years I had two tomcats and they got on very well too. When one of those died though I just knew I had to get a female. What would be okay for a 10-month-old male wouldn't work for that particular 10-year-old one.

I'm sure they will settle down in time - maybe not as cuddle-up friends, but at least as accepting ones.

With a week to work at it you should be able to do this if you are prepared to spend the time.

First thing - if they are living in different parts of the house then swap them round so they get used to the smell of the other cats. Spend a couple of days on this. Then you can start introducing them and it is a good idea to have a really yummy food available as you do it. It's one of the very few times I would agree with the use of tuna :) Make sure there are at least as many dishes as cats - it's a bit much to expect them to get too close at this stage.

If you can, get hold of a small bottle of Bach's Rescue Remedy. Tesco have it in the vitamins/supplements section. It comes in a bright yellow box, around the £6 mark. I have known it make a huge difference with this sort of problem - enough to save a much loved cat from being rehomed when there has been a falling out. One drop on the lips is all you need, it's not like trying to pill a cat. My head says it's all mumbo jumbo but I can't argue with the results I've witnessed over the years.

• Haha 1

Yes, I do agree that cats have personalities of their own and what works for some may not work for others...

Thank you all for your help and advice.... I'm going to Tesco later on, so will look for the Rescue Remedy. I think a friend of mine took that for exam nerves a few years ago... lol

:)

Bach's Rescue Remedy.

Is that an alternative to, or the same as Feliway? Just wondering if you could put a few drops in water and spray around the house. I do that with natural oils to make air fresheners as the bought plug ins & sprays irritate my hay fever/allergies and I can't use candles - too many long tails in my house!

There's no point spraying RR around. Feliway is a pheremone based product which costs a fortune. Some people swear by it and use it permanently. For me this is simply masking a problem rather than solving it.

Rescue remedy is one of the Bach's flower remedies range - think of it as akin to homeopathy. You need to use a drop on the lips or tongue just like any product that should be taken into the system. I suggested it's use as a short term aid to (hopefully) dealing with a behaviour issue. RR will calm the aggression in a seemingly dominant cat and the response in those who appear scared. Both responses are the result of anxiety and lowering the anxiety levels will help with re-introducing cats. The aim is to reach a point where there is no need to use anything.

Feliway is a pheremone based product which costs a fortune

Yes it does! Used it once years ago but not something I'd use permanently.

I'll stick with lavender on the home made air freshener front then. Could have done with it when I got the kitten (she has attitude and was a nightmare when she first arrived, even went for my cats who were great, but it all settled down even though it took a couple of weeks with one of my she cats who wasn't being dictated to by a tiny baby thing!).

thanks

just to add my 2p in

as already been said it is very important to feed them together at the same time as this is how cats determin their status

even feeding them and removing them for the first few days but as you have already had them then start this straight away even with the kitten and be on standby (with the kitten keep i cpose to the mum and just a foot or two away from the other to be safe) but have to be clode enough to see each other and get used to scents

of one of them stat to howl or hiss.... just a quick shuss ( if you know what I mean) from you to let them know to stop as it's all ok

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Agree with the rescue remedy - forgotten about that but I have used it in the past.

What I always found very funny when I had my three with the youngest she cat hating old boy was if another cat came along the wall all three of them would join forces to see him off. They were very aware that they were 'family'.

**Update**

Only one of my existing cats was in this morning but as he's the one I'm concerned about the most, I decided to do an introduction with Mum cat only (not the kitten as well).

They both had Bach's Rescue Remedy dotted around their mouths and both had canned tuna ready. The Mum cat went straight for the food bowl like I thought she would, but my male cat (Ollie) sat in the corner of the hall looking very uncomfortable. Mum cat eyed him up while she was eating, but only moved closer when her bowl was clean. Ollie ate nothing.. and just sat their glaring at her.

She started to come closer to get to his untouched bowl and I blocked her but as she got closer, Ollie started to growl. :( She made a few heavy breathing snorts which I said "No" to but nothing else... and didn't seem that bothered by him at all... just wary. There was no hissing from either of them.

After a while, I moved her back into her own space (where the kitten was) and re-adjusted the catflap so that Ollie could get out but she couldn't get in to bother him. Ollie then went and hid somewhere in the house but came out to the kitchen 10 minutes later where the Mum and kitten both had their faces pressed on the catflap from the outside (quite amusing actually). Ollie just sat looking at the pair of them; reasonably close to the catflap... but there was no growling... only cries from the Mum cat 'coz she wanted to come in.

Ollie has now gone back to his hiding place in the house.... I will see how he is later on in the day before I try it all again later on. Not sure if I've made progress or not at this stage, but Ollie wasn't chased out... which is a good thing.

Edited by PriorityOne

That sounds like a good start. At least no fighting and only growling when she got too close.

When my 4 month old kitten arrived she was awful and actually went for the adult cats if they got too close. Luckily they were really good and more or less ignored her and it took 2 weeks for her to stop hissing every time she walked past one of them, but even they are fine now.

She thinks nothing of attacking the 2 Toms when she wants to play fight, but knows better than to do that with the 2 she cats so they've obviously put her in her place. They do sort it out between themselves in time.

It's funny, but I've often found that rescue cats seem to "know" what you want from them much easier than cats that haven't been rescued. Once Mum cat understands that she mustn't chase my 2, then I'll be able to relax a bit... so I'll have to persevere until she gets it.

Her attitude this morning seemed surprisingly good. She's seems so happy to have a permanent home with me, which is why I'm so keen for this to work out. Ollie can be a bit thick at times, so my progress with him may take a while.... lol

That's often the case with rescue cats, they are so grateful its very sad.

I ended up with the kitten because it was me or the cat sanctuary but as she hadn't been through the cats home process, she didn't know to be grateful. She loved my house as the person who had her previously wasn't cruel but totally clueless about cats, and used to lock her in the kitchen on her own with no toys to knock around so she wouldnt' knock her water dish over and then used to complain she was jumping up to look out the window!

The last thing I needed was another cat, already having 4, but she was going to take her to the cats home and I felt so sorry for her I took her in.

Hi Priority One,

Sounds a promising start :)

I always used to introduce cats (or dogs sometimes) by having the dominant, established one in a cage or basket in their usual domain, fuss them and feed them in it till they settle down, (evenings are good when everyones winding down) then very casually open the door to the other room, ignore them and let the other cat wander in in her own time. Watch telly, keep everything calm and normal. Any aggression either side, just shush them sharply. For serious spite - quick squirt with a water pistol can save you gettng scratched or the other cat getting bitten! Might need to do it a few times, alternating the new cat in the cage with the old cat loose, till they get accustomed to each other. Then try it with the new cat sat in your lap when the old cat is let into room. Everything calm and quiet, otherwise they'll take their cue from you.

You can also progress it by feeding them side by side, one in and one out of basket etc. Last step is to try and get them both interested in playing, chasing string etc, so their mind is on other things.

Good luck, cats have infinite patience and stubbornness so yours needs to exceed theirs :D

Elsa x

PS here's my litle girl demonstrating the technique! :)

muffin.jpg

Edited by Undercover-Elsa
  • Haha 1

I hate the water pistol idea. I understand that things like water jets or rattle bottles are used with dogs as a distraction or focussing aid but I cannot stress highly enough that cats aren't dogs. Anything that stresses a cat further is going to be counter productive and possibly have health implications.

Thank you Elsa... :)

To be honest, this is stressing me out and I'm trying very hard to hide it from them:cool: I did another intro. last night and Ollie shrank back in the corner looking very alarmed and then started to growl. The Mum cat then growled quietly, so I shushed her and took her out. Ollie didn't run out of the catflap though and was quite happy to re-settle himself shortly afterwards.

You're right... my patience needs to be greater... lol... but what you've said about the dominant one being in a cage is food for thought because I still have the dog cage that Mum cat gave birth in and this would be ideal!

I hate the water pistol idea. I understand that things like water jets or rattle bottles are used with dogs as a distraction or focussing aid but I cannot stress highly enough that cats aren't dogs. Anything that stresses a cat further is going to be counter productive and possibly have health implications.

I've used the water pistol idea quite succesfully in the past when one of mine wanted to poo in the indoor plants. She eventually associated going to the plant pot with being squirted and stopped doing it. She was only squirted once each time... and that was enough.