JSA - Terrified - only been signed on for 2 weeks.

gilliana
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4912 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

One Jobcentre I had to deal with is next door to a pub, the last time I passed said JC the front door had been kicked in and boarded up! I understand the frustration as they treated me shabbily - same as the council housing bloke, I could have thumped him when he wanted to know how long my connection with the borough was - I threw my school reports at him. He shut up after that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Applied for an Exec Officer in the JC as suggested by my personal adviser ... its only 18 month temp anyway so even if I hated it I could stand it for that long.

We've got a new batch of these temporary contract workers at our jobcentre to cope with increased unemployment. They seem quite bright and friendly and treat clients on equal terms.

A few months ago they had two special 'open days' for redundant staff from the local Woolworths to get them all signed on.

It's boom time for jobcentres in the recession!:rolleyes:

Sorry me again. My situation has now got worse overnight! Today I received a letter (I knew it was bad news with the jobcenter logo on it). They want me to come to an interview next Friday (my normal signing day). Interview? I will have been 'signed on' for 3 weeks by that date - not even received any money yet from them. Now an interview? I'm assuming this is a lot worse then the questions they ask you when you have to sign and show your book to say you have been actively seeking work?

What should I bring with me? What are they going to ask me? Time to rush out lots of applications in the next few days.... but crikey. If I was worried about going next Friday now I am panicked.

(Oh, and thanks everyone for the help so far. I can't claim income support as I have a partner and he has a job).

Sorry me again. My situation has now got worse overnight! Today I received a letter (I knew it was bad news with the jobcenter logo on it). They want me to come to an interview next Friday (my normal signing day). Interview? I will have been 'signed on' for 3 weeks by that date - not even received any money yet from them. Now an interview? I'm assuming this is a lot worse then the questions they ask you when you have to sign and show your book to say you have been actively seeking work?

What should I bring with me? What are they going to ask me? Time to rush out lots of applications in the next few days.... but crikey. If I was worried about going next Friday now I am panicked.

(Oh, and thanks everyone for the help so far. I can't claim income support as I have a partner and he has a job).

No need to panic, just take in some job applications, how many does your agreement say you should apply for every 2 weeks ?. If the number is too high and isnt reasonable then you shouldnt of agreed to it in the first place but i supsect you may be able to change it now and point out that there are not many jobs to actually apply for, perosnally I've had no real hassle from the JC even at my 13 week interview, I just showed all the printouts of my job applications, luckily there are a fair number of jobs in the IT field to apply for even if 90% of them dont reply. The JC staff are well aware that there just are not many jobs out there, i feel you are worrying over nothing.

Andy

Yes, itt says:

"Your appointment details for your interview are: XXXX"

We are writing to let you know that we have arranged the above interview for you with one of your Personal advisers who will offer you additional support to help you to find and stay in work.

What you can expect from us:

We will look at your JS agreement to see if it is still relevant

We will talk with you about jobs, training and other ways to help you get back to work.

We will tell you about the help you may be able to get when you find work.

We will consider refunding the cost of registered childcare.

What we expect from you:

To get Job seekers allowance and credits of NI you must be looking for work and take advantage of opportunities that are made availiable to you.

At the interview you must tell us what you have done to find work, it is easier if you write this down and bring with you any letters from employers and anything else to prove what you have done.

If you cannot provide eveidence your JS allowance and NI credits will be stopped.

[is it normal to get an interview like this after 3 weeks of being signed on with them. I tell you, the lady I saw had it in for me... sure this is her doing.]

Gilliana, please don't worry about this interview. It's a standard back to work one. Most of the time, the advisors are friendly and give you the info you need about getting a job. I think the reason a lot of advisors become horrible is when clients (as they call them, or is it customers?!) come in and have no intention of working, and it shows.

You don't have to have a 2 sides of A4 of all the jobs you've applied for, just 3-5. They'll ask you things like, what have you been doing to find work. Things like the internet, newspapers, word of mouth, etc.

Then, they'll talk you through the type of work you're looking for. Even if you say you are only after part time, you still have to say that you are available for full time to receive JSA

As I say, try not to worry about it. I know in this thread, there are many accounts of bad advisors, but don't let that put you off! There are some good ones who will try and help you out.

Just back from lunch ...

Yes, it's a standard letter and nothing to worry about.

The main thing is to have sufficient jobsearches in your booklet.

You can also show them copies of application letters if you like, tell them you visited the library, used the internet (e.g. totaljobs.com, 1job.co), redid your cv, and so on.:)

CAN ANYONE HELP?... a single mum living in with family, claiming independently for herself and 2yr old child, letter from jobcentreplus out of the blue advising that a "query" has arisen regarding her claim, they have given a date for next friday when they are paying her a home visit, i have never heard of this before.....can anyone shed any light?

Since the letter says ...

'At the interview you must tell us what you have done to find work, it is easier if you write this down and bring with you any letters from employers and anything else to prove what you have done.'

... the ultra safe thing to do is show them copies of letters of application you have sent in the last fortnight. So just this once you might have to apply for a couple of jobs you don't really want.

After this interview you will be moved on to regular signings probably with different staff each time. All they will look at then is your jobsearch booklet, and if it's got plenty of jobsearch listed you'll have no problems.:)

CAN ANYONE HELP?... a single mum living in with family ... letter from jobcentreplus out of the blue advising that a "query" has arisen regarding her claim, they have given a date for next friday when they are paying her a home visit ...

Ruby,

Be best to open a new thread for this so it gets the specific attention it deserves.

You might call it: '"Query" letter from jobcentre, home visit threatened (please advise)' or something like that.

Quote the text of the letter if you can.

Good luck!:)

Guest Alison82

Don't put up with her talking to you like this, put her in her place or make an offical complaint about her and let her know you are doing so!!

Ruby,

Go back to the 'Benefits, Tax Credits and Minimum Wage' forum where all the threads are listed.

Then click on 'New Thread'. From there it's easy, you just enter your chosen title and write your first posting.

I'll look at the thread later today and see if I can help.

Yours,

FitzWilliam

Ruby's thread for anyone who can help:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/218440-query-jcplus-home-visit.html#post2410424

The home visit will be by a Customer Compliance Officer.

(Editorial note: she has now received excellent advice thanks to ErikaPNP.)

Edited by FitzWilliam

• 1 year later...
Yes, it's bad luck you got this woman. She's a low-grade civil servant in a poorly paid job, but she has no right to take out her grievances on other people. They can't stop you taking your daughter with you.

If this woman gets too much for you you could ask the jobcentre manager to assign you to someone else. But actually, you might find that in future you sign on with other people.

The person I sign on with changes from fortnight to fortnight.

The sort of detail you give for your jobsearch booklet is fine. They mostly just count the number of jobsearches anyway.

Let us know how things go in future.:)

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; I am in a similar situation to the person who signed on after his first two weeks and was shouted at.

I've been signing on for 13 weeks, with no problem. On Thursday 4th November I had my 13 week interview, having last signed on the previous Monday 1st November. I was given 8 notified vacancies to apply for, which I did. I was also requested by advisor to update my CV, which I also did.

Previously, I utilised IT to apply for jobs, using my own methodical method, this worked very well, and my advisors at Milton Keynes Job Centre were happy with my method.

In order to implement what my advisor was asking of me, I had to change my methods, which meant it took more time and effort. It also took me many hours to re-write my CV.

I live within the boundaries of Aylesbury Vale District Council. However as I have a Milton Keynes postcode, I was sent by "the computer" to Milton Keynes Job Centre. This proved in-convenient for me, so I asked to transfer to Aylesbury. I was advised, to come to Aylesbury on my next sign in day and do an ES-90, and transfer my claim to Aylesbury.

Last Monday (15th November), I went into Aylesbury, when I did the ES-90 I was given a form to fill in. On the form it asked me what I have done to find work. I put down that I applied for all 8 vacancies that I was asked to plus that I have updated my CV. I also mentioned that I prepared for, sat, and passed my theory tests for a bus driver's licence. As a Bus or Coach driver is listed in the 3 areas which I will look for work, on my Job Seeker's agreement.

The Advisor who I did the ES-90 with, said that the theory test doesn't count, and he gave me another form to fill in and advised me to fill it in again. I did so, but I couldn't fill the space. I put down on this one that I applied for all 8 jobs, and re-wrote my CV.

He then spoke to his manager, he came back a few minutes later and told me that in his opinion I haven't done anything in the last two weeks / haven't been actively seeking work.

After this I realised that I had also searched for vacancies on the Job Point last Thursday 12th November. I mentioned this to him, but he said it didn't count as I hadn't yet applied for any of them, though it was my intention to. He questioned me, on when I said "my intention".

I had previously gone to my Grand Mother's funeral on Monday 8th November, and I had the biggest part of my Theory Test (for bus) on Friday 12. So natruarly I was bereaved, and keen to make sure I passed the Theory Test, so as to get a bus driving job ASAP.

From what I have read on the Forum,s I can't see how it could be factually correct to call applying for 8 jobs, completely re-writing a CV, and searching for jobs on a JobPoint "not looking for work".

I believe that this would be grounds for appeal, though I would like some advice on the issues and, on what points to stress, and how to format my case for appeal.

Like everyone else, on the back of my JobSeeker's agreement it states "I know I must take at least three steps each week." With this in mind, I applied for 8 jobs in two weeks, also notice it says "steps" not "job applications". So writing my CV, applying for vacancies, and taking my theory tests, would be steps towards employment.

It says on my JobSeeker's contract to Contact JobSeeker direct at least 3 times per week. Would I be able to argue that this was not necessary, as none of the jobs applied for involved contacting JobSeeker direct ?

The advisor at the JobCenter in Aylesbury also, tried to imply that I had not searched for Jobs on the JobPoint, as I had not applied for them. Academically, It's like he is attempting to re-write English, or imply that two and two are equal to five.

Like everyone else, on the back of my JobSeeker's agreement it states "I know I must take at least three steps each week." With this in mind, I applied for 8 jobs in two weeks, also notice it says "steps" not "job applications". So writing my CV, applying for vacancies, and taking my theory tests, would be steps towards employment.

It says on my JobSeeker's contract to Contact JobSeeker direct at least 3 times per week. Would I be able to argue that this was not necessary, as none of the jobs applied for involved contacting JobSeeker direct ?

The Jobseekers Agreement (JSAg) is a bit of a maze and this should have been explained at the first interview.

Yes, you only need to do three steps but those steps are specified on the JSAg. If you look to the right of the three occupations on the JSAg you will see the mimimum actions to take. Yours shows that you are going to contact Jobseekers Direct at least three times a week. Now the harsh bit.

You have signed to agree this. So although you may have done other things it's the JSAg that specifies the minimum you must do. You can't therefore argue that it wasn't necessary. It does count that you did a theory test for a bus driver, of course, but in this case it doesn't fit the minimum actions. This was what they should have said. rather than "It doesn't count" and "you haven't done anything" which makes them seem like an uncaring individual rather than just an idiot for speaking in such a tactless, ill-informed way.

It seems like you need the JSAg changed to better reflect how you look for work rather than what the advisor decided. You did strike it very unlucky to find an advisor at another job centre who scrutinised your jobsearch in such detail.

Havin said that, you can appeal, of course. In my opinion, and experience, is that this will fail as the jobcentre has applied the rules correctly - if a little meanly.

This area is very complicated but I would be happy to explain anything or field any questions... :)

The Jobseekers Agreement (JSAg) is a bit of a maze and this should have been explained at the first interview.

Yes, you only need to do three steps but those steps are specified on the JSAg. If you look to the right of the three occupations on the JSAg you will see the mimimum actions to take. Yours shows that you are going to contact Jobseekers Direct at least three times a week. Now the harsh bit.

You have signed to agree this. So although you may have done other things it's the JSAg that specifies the minimum you must do. You can't therefore argue that it wasn't necessary. It does count that you did a theory test for a bus driver, of course, but in this case it doesn't fit the minimum actions. This was what they should have said. rather than "It doesn't count" and "you haven't done anything" which makes them seem like an uncaring individual rather than just an idiot for speaking in such a tactless, ill-informed way.

It seems like you need the JSAg changed to better reflect how you look for work rather than what the advisor decided. You did strike it very unlucky to find an advisor at another job centre who scrutinised your jobsearch in such detail.

Havin said that, you can appeal, of course. In my opinion, and experience, is that this will fail as the jobcentre has applied the rules correctly - if a little meanly.

This area is very complicated but I would be happy to explain anything or field any questions... :)

Thank you for your response.

What about if I argued that, to contact Job Seeker direct, I would have to ring an 0845 telephone number, and this costs money, which I don't have. Although I can call free from a JobCenter phone, I live 10 miles from my nearest JobCentre.

Also, if they decide to not pay my JSA, when do I get the official notification, and does it state the reasons on it ? When they decide to not pay a single JSA payment, do they have to refer to a "decision maker" every time ?

As my claim was based at Milton Keynes, as of Monday (last signing day), and I "signed on" via an "ES-90" from Aylesbury. The Advisor from Aylesbury didn't say I wouldn't get my JSA, he said that is down to Milton Keynes. Apparently the advisor wrote on the ES-90 "his opinion", but surely they must have more than a mere opinion before they can take any action.

What about if I argued that, to contact Job Seeker direct, I would have to ring an 0845 telephone number, and this costs money, which I don't have. Although I can call free from a JobCenter phone, I live 10 miles from my nearest JobCentre.

They wll argue that you have signed an agreement to do this. If you weren't happy with it then you should not have agreed it.

Also, if they decide to not pay my JSA, when do I get the official notification, and does it state the reasons on it ? When they decide to not pay a single JSA payment, do they have to refer to a "decision maker" every time ?

You will get a letter but it won't state the exact reason. You will need to request the actual decision for the details. Decision Makers are used for most of these types of doubts. The jobcentre staff have very little jurisdiction and only flag the doubt for the decision to be made.

As my claim was based at Milton Keynes, as of Monday (last signing day), and I "signed on" via an "ES-90" from Aylesbury. The Advisor from Aylesbury didn't say I wouldn't get my JSA, he said that is down to Milton Keynes. Apparently the advisor wrote on the ES-90 "his opinion", but surely they must have more than a mere opinion before they can take any action.

Yes, the advisor won't know if it will be sanctioned or not so won't tell you you will or won't get JSA for the period in question. The opinion is what flags the claim for a decision to be made. As we know, an opinion is only one person's belief. The decision maker won't automatically take this stance and will look at case law but if you have agreed something which you are now saying you don't agree with they will be asking you questions regarding this. Be prepared for a list of questions to come to you for answering if this is the case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I worked for the Job centre for 6 months as part of the recruitment campaign set up in July 2009 signing customers on.

I have a Phd with my dissetation relating to legal contract processes, and a 4th degree in Civil enginering.

Not sure to my about the staff being undeucated? Overworked under preassure to meet pathetic government targets yep uneducated no

Hi

I worked for the Job centre for 6 months as part of the recruitment campaign set up in July 2009 signing customers on.

I have a Phd with my dissetation relating to legal contract processes, and a 4th degree in Civil enginering.

Not sure to my about the staff being undeucated? Overworked under preassure to meet pathetic government targets yep uneducated no

Given my experiences in the last 12 months, I beg to differ.

you will have to return,unfortunately job centre staff frequently overstep the mark and i have heard people shouted at in the job centre because their job search was deemed insufficient.they are supposed to view it positivly but frequently do not.

there has been some atrocious behavior by job centre staff.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8229688/Jobcentre-staff-investigated-over-claims-they-called-homosexual-couple-gay-boys.html

the problem to day is that under the jobseekers agreement people are under preassure to apply for jobs that simply arn't there,this leads to people applying for anything to fill the quota of three with little chance of success because of no experience. it often comes as a surprise for people signing for the first time how can i be treated like this but unfortunately once unemployed the people that supposed to offer the most help and support cannot in reality as its found to be of little help in this climate and frequently this can turn to abuse with bullying becoming the weapon to remove people as quickly as possible from the figures.

Im suffering from anxiety attacks now and feel like vomiting when I have to sign on. I have to look for three jobs a week phone three employers up and visit the job centre looking for a job three times a week. I cant cope with this any longer. Ive had my benefits stopped three times since I signed on in August for petty reasons. I was living in a hostel at the time. And they kept saying I must look for jobs and apply for jobs. Even the hostel was astonished at the treatment I got off this job centre. Im a 57 years old. Why are they riding around on my back like a monkey rucksack pressuring me to find a job when its highly unlikely I will get one as easily as a younger person. I want to work but this pressure is affecting my mental health.

i suffer these dreadful attacks too,elliebes you are by no means alone.the problem with aggressive behavior is that is plainly open to see and hear in the job centre environment,what not also taken into consideration there are many vulnerable ill people waiting to sign and this behavior can and does have a traumatising effect on those susceptible to this abuse.further more worryingly it appears to be targeted at the hardest and most difficult unemployed who are disadvantaged in finding work,in one case with a shouting member of staff nagging a poor man that his job search was insufficient and it happens he was attending a course for disadvantaged people provided by the job centre through an outside source,this was clearly audible to everyone around.from whats been reported here and elsewhere such behavior may well be institutional within the job centre.

indeed the job centre can be the number one cause of anxiety attacks,the gp must be informed of such,i have been extremely ill in there several times' and when this became obvious i came under for abuse at another signing time from the same person.condescended to and spoken down when i am a disabled person and none of this was my fault.it was plain anxiety and i was overcome.

it also appears that job centre staff are still trying to sign people off jobseekers,playing down the esa/atos route as reported events are reported but is not the case.

unfortunately nothing can be done,its a vicious cycle often breaching human rights' and is a violation of such,it also makes any therapeutic recovery impossible around people and drives what very slim chance of finding any employment further and further away.

hugs'

jsa12

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4912 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks