george mcm vs Clydesdale bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just take the advice of the nice lady from the BBA, and phone your bank to let them know if you think there'll be a problem and ask them to increase your overdraft, so you won't get charged.:rolleyes:

She didn't mention what to do if they say no. :-x

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I have recieved a letter too from the Clydesdale Bank aknowledging the £10 sent and that they can supply me with my past 5yr statements. It also says as follow - "If you have requested information relating to manual intervention on your account, please note that the Data Protection Act 1998 does not specifically require data controllers to disclose whether its processing activities were conducted manually or on an automated basis and nor does it specifically require disclosure of the reason why one method of processing may have been prefered in any particular case" this was sent from Advice Quality Unit. So where do I stand ? will i get my cash back once i add the charges up ? what's the next move ? please help

I've put this link in a separate thread but it may be of some interest here, particularly in light of the defence used by the Clydesdale.

Sheriff Principal rejects banks' defence of res judicata | GLC July 2007

"here has been a problem of claimants in Scotland suing for separate years of charges in separate (but never more than one at any one time) small claims actions. Some banks, including the Clydesdale/Yorkshire Banks had been using the defence of res judicata (the basis of the claim has already been decided in the first action, so any subsequent claim is incompetent) to prevent claimants in Scotland recovering more than £750 (the small claims limit in Scotland).

In Taylor v Yorkshire Building Society, the Sheriff Principal for Tayside, Central & Fife overturned a decision in favour of the Yorkshire, and held that bank charges were a succession of wrongful acts - each one being actionable.

So this decision may provide legal support to use the small claims system in Scotland to sue for tranches of bank charges (i.e. several claims x £750 - but remember you cannot have two claims on the go an anyone time); at the very least this should be used by claimants to negotiate with the bank to get offers above £750 in Scotland - by arguing any settlement is for X year only, and failure to increase the offer will result in subsequent small claim(s). The decision is only binding in Tayside, Central & Fife. The alternative is to pursue a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman.

Res judicata - case summary

In Taylor v Yorkshire Building Society 2007 GWD 19-334 Sheriff Principal Dunlop overturned the sustaining of a plea of res judicata in an action for

recovery of bank charges when a previous action had determined the

position regarding later charges on the same account. The deduction of

charges constituted a succession of wrongful acts each actionable, albeit

the basis of action in each case was the same.

The sheriff principal also questioned whether such actions were better remitted to the ordinary cause, as extended pleadings might well be of assistance."

• 11 months later...

Well nearly two years and 5000 posts after starting this thread im still waiting for payday. CB are amongst the hardest to deal with but what they dont realise is that the result will be the same in the end and I like many others will have my day.

Im taking a break from CAG but will return to make my 5000th post which will be the day I get my money back from this lot and probably the day I get lifted for BOP within my local branch as I swear they will be getting it BIG when I get it all back due to their "we have done nothing wrong speel" time will show them for what they are. Take it easy and you know where I am if you need me.

George

Edited by Bigmac versus

Sure, hope so Bigmac ;)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Looking forward to it Bigmac. I think yours is probably the oldest outstanding claim on the site so it will be great to see you, and everyone else, have your day. CB don't realise who they're taking on.;)

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

Go away for a few weeks and my posts have shrunk, very weird.

Talk about dragging your feet, if and when we get our money back it will be in euros at this rate. The banks are pleading poverty and it wouldn't surprise me if the goverment intervene in all this especially after the HBOS fiasco.

Has there been any updates ive missed.

• 5 months later...

Its getting nearer, I wonder if I will get my dosh back before my third anniversary (July2006) of starting this claim!

0n a brighter note I was in my local branch on Friday waiting in line to be served when the manager went to walk by me, :D I managed to attract his attention and reminded him of our last conversation when he said banks had done nothing wrong and people who are charged are charged because they have failed to maintain their account with sufficient funds, and a long speel about how many people dont get charged. :rolleyes:

In front of around 20 customers I reminded him I was going to get my charges back that the bank had taken from me over the years as they have been found to be in the wrong and when I do I will be closing the account for good. He smiled and walked away but not before I said " So who was right and who was wrong then? "

Wont get my money back quicker but it made me feel much better.

Smarmy git.

:D :D Good on you, bet that made your day.

Bank of Scotland account 1 - £2,666 WON

Bank of Scotland account 2 - £2,500 on hold

GE Capital charges -£30 won (hey, every little helps!)

Barclays Partner Finance £425 charges - £225 offer accepted.

Finally debt free after 4.5 years, thanks to my Debt Management Plan through Payplan. There is no better feeling :D