British Gas - missed appointment compensation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5440 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a quickie about compensation for a missed appointment.

British Gas did it to me - a wasted 1/2 day of my Annual Leave (worth about £55). Lots of examples on the web, but I couldn't find any example of someone getting more than the supposed limit of £20 (apart from businesses). Persist - it's worth pushing them harder (all in writing).

• They miss appointment so I complain
  • 2 weeks later they credit my account £20
  • I complain that my consequential loss for their failure is £55
  • 2 weeks later they say "you are entitled to £20". No reason. Red rag to a bull - it's the principle, not the amount.
  • I ask them to cough up or quote the relevant consumer legislation/regulation and threaten Small Claims if they do neither
  • 2 weeks later, they ring. They would either give me an additional £20 straight off or they would consider a documented claim for the full £55. I settled for the extra £20.

I am still none the wiser as to the particular OFGEM regulation/document which supposedly limits claims to £20, but if you persist ........

Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

I am still none the wiser as to the particular OFGEM regulation/document which supposedly limits claims to £20, but if you persist ........

Most commonly referred to as MSOP (Metering Standards of Performace):

Section 39 of the Electricity Act empowered the DGES (with the consent of the Secretary of State) to make regulations setting guaranteed standards of performance for the PESs. The latest statutory instrument made under this provision is the Electricity (Standards of Performance) (Amendment) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000 No. 840). The Regulations prescribe a range of fixed penalties to be paid to customers for failure to meet the specified standards of performance.

Section 40 of the Electricity Act, as substituted by the Competition and Service (Utilities) Act 1992, empowered the DGES to determine standards of overall performance for the PESs. The Act also introduced a provision requiring each PES to conduct its business in such a way as could reasonably be expected to achieve the overall standards set for it.

Unlike the Electricity Act, which followed it, the Gas Act made no provision for standards of performance. The Competition and Service (Utilities) Act 1992 subsequently introduced provisions mirroring the electricity arrangements described in paragraphs 2.1 and 2.2 for the gas sector, in the form of:

section 33A, empowering the DGGS (with the consent of the Secretary

of State) to make regulations setting guaranteed standards of performance

for gas suppliers; and

section 33B, which empowered the DDGS to determine overall

standards of performance for gas suppliers.

In the gas sector, although there was no initial provision for statutory standards of performance to be set, Ofgas and British Gas subsequently agreed on a range of standards, through the use of licence conditions and voluntary service undertakings. These have provided some parallel safeguards and are laid out in Chapter 4. Additionally, Transco (as was) has obligations under the Network Code, which are also set out in Chapter 4.

It goes on even further and has brought in various different rules and regs over the years, but thats basically where it all stems from.

• 7 months later...

Same problem with E-ON.Have told them quite simply not to bother making any more appointments with me and that if they want to change the meter they will have to take pot luck.Until we the consumer take real action about all the problems regarding customer service then that service will continue to get worse.Firms are cutting all the time and service is the first to be cut.Do not let it happen.:-|

Many years ago I had a missed appointment with BG so I arranged for them to visit a second time and when thy didn't turn up I went to the local main depot and parked my car half way across the exit barrier at 16.50.

They suddenly located someone to get to my house as a matter of urgency.

GK

£20 is what they have to pay so you can always angle for more. The issue is most suppliers only have thier own meter readers and engineers in thier home area. Not really sure what the solution is since its a low margin business.

You could argue they shouldn't be allowed to sell outside of thier area but then it would be one supplier in each are who could charge what they like.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

These days £20 is hardly adequate compensation. It appears to have been set 10 years ago so it needs to be updated for inflation - at least minimum hourly rate x 8.

If I had anything to do with this matter I would make the compensation a penalty amount so that the utilities put more effort into keeping appointments. If it were say £100 perhaps some customers might be quite pleased if they do not turn up !!.