Sainsbury sold me out of date food....

jackieandwayne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5704 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi chaps, hope this is the right place. On Saturday I purchased 2 jars of artichokes preserved in olive oil - don't ask - I love them! Not pregnant either just a pig!

Well, I got them home, at £3.95 a go, and went to open one of them. My partner shrieked at me to stop - and then showed me the best before date - it was may 2007!

I duly telephoned Sainsury's - its 7 miles to get to our nearest so i didn't want to go all the way back - 28 miles in one day for two jars of my favourite pickle is too much - they were adamant that I must return the evidence to them and they would give me £20! Presumably this is because I had not yet had the chance to make myself ill, and the offer would be more had I eaten the things and was sick!

I've kept the offending article and receipt and given Consumer Protection a call about it, waiting for them to phone back. Is there anymore i should be doing - I am concerned that an elderly person might have purchased this and eaten it.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Welcome to CAG

You have done all you can.

food items can be sold past its best before date, but the store should make the buyer aware that they are past the date. The best before is really an indication that the quality will not be as good afterwards. This differes to "use by" which indicates that the food poses a hazard from a microbacterial viewpoint after the expiry date.

It looks like the store has had a bit of a lapse in its stock rotation. Consumer Direct will advise on what to do and may, if required, send an TSO to the store to do a check. It may be a one-off or it may be systematic - that's for TS to decide.

In terms of the £20 - that's not bad. Grab it!

Yes Gyzmo is right,

Although the product is well past it's sell by date, it is sealed in an airtight container which would mean there is no threat to health after eating the product. It would probably taste exactly the same as it would have done before the sell by date.

Consumer Law requires a sell by or use by date on every food product now. That is why there are dates on eggs now. There never used to be.

£20 is a good offer, especially if it is on top of your refund.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Not quite correct, SE.

the main problem with food contamination and spoilage is at the processing end before the food goes in. Modern preservation techniques are used to minimise bacterial growth and includes an "abuse" factor (for example, people who buy all their frozen/chilled food and leave it in the ca boot for a couple of hours when in the pub!). Also, "best before" can still make you ill though it is more to do with contamination.

The terms allowed on food are "best before" or "use by". Others, such as "display until" are for shop use, but the expiry dates must be visible and legible. Selling food after a use by date is an offence. selling

As for eggs, these are unique in that it is an offence to sell them within one week of the expiry date.