Is this a scam???

Chosan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5754 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recieved a letter from Lowels ( a debt collecting agency....I believe), asking me to bid on an account from way way over 6 years ago . If i bid a certain amount i think they suggest £30 then i can have my account back!! If not they will let me pay £30 back a month , but at the top of letter it says total outstanding is £30??? I know that the original amount was £150. I can bid online for it bla bla ,and its all very friendly ..they say its a new and wondereful unique opportunity to get an account back!! Hmmm i smell a red herring here!! What do you think? Anyone had this kinda of proposition??

Be sure not to answer it.

Lowells are less than reputable. I imagine their new and wonderful device is designed to create an opportunity to say your offer to pay renewed the limitation period. It wouldn't if the debt was truly statue barred but it would if the debt was still within the limitation period.

Further, I've also been detecting what I suspect may be claims to interest on statue barred debts, by which Lowells do not seek the debt but they do seek interest which may have accrued due before the principal debt became statue barred.

My advice would be to never ever pay or do anything which could be construed as an acknowledgement of liabilty unless and until [1] you are satisfied you have a legal liability to pay or [2] the court directs you to pay.

x20

yes i thought if it was past 6 years there was not much they can do. The letter sounds so convincingly non threatening and something in my interest.

Excuse my ignorance but what is statute barred?

So the advice is to ignore?

They are also ringing me every day 10x . I googled the number and it came up with them. I take it they dont have a good reputation.