Lastminute.com and thier "Top secret" hotel deals

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5773 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently booked a central London hotel through Lastminute.com and selected one of the "Top Secret" hotel deals as it advertised a 4 Star central hotel off Oxford Street, great I thought it was only £90 for the night which is very reasonable for a London Hotel. After I made payment on the website they revealed the hotel to be the Radisson Edwardian, and that the hotel was undergoing re-furbishment, ever the optimist I am I thought nothing of it.

When I arrived at the hotel there was scaffolding up on the building which was fine, I checked in at the temporary reception which looked ok. Once I got to my room I was shocked it was the smallest room I had ever seen, it was like a cupboard. The temperature of the room was hideously hot, I tried to open the window as one would only to find that the window would not open, I was stuck in this sweat box cupboard.

To recover from the shock of the room and to decide if I should complain or not I decided to have an afternoon pint in the hotel bar. It was the make shift bar (a room with a fridge and counter in) I asked the bar maid where the toilets were and she advised me that they are closed for re-furbishment so I would either have to go to the room (4th floor with only 1 lift working that held 2 people which took approx 6 mins to arrive) or go to the hotel on the opposite side of the street. This was the last straw so I complained and was advised there was nothing they could do and the hotel manager would call me on the Monday. A week passed and I had heard nothing so I chased the hotel manager and a 50% refund was agreed. To cut a long storey short we are 18 days from the initial stay and I have had no refund de-spite chasing daily, the hotel are saying that they refunded the money to Lastmin and its now down to them to refund, I have advised that its down to the hotel and not last min. Lastmin and Radisson are blaming each other.

Moral of the storey don’t opt for the "Top Secret" hotels on Lastmin and Radissons after care is appalling along with lastmins

Anyone else had problems

I've actually always had a good deal with them, but have always booked with it in mind that you get what you pay for and so am prepared if it's naff.

Have you got anything in writing from either lastminute or the Radisson about this?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I've actually always had a good deal with them, but have always booked with it in mind that you get what you pay for and so am prepared if it's naff.

Have you got anything in writing from either lastminute or the Radisson about this?

No Nothing, it only happened on the weekend of the 1st June, well its now 16:38 and it looks like another day has passed with no call from last min nor the Hotel, I last chased it about 2hrs ago and at 09:00 this morning

OK, as it was the Radisson offering YOU 50% compensation, i would leave lastminute out if it - that's there problem.

I would send a LBA, giving them 14 days to pay up or you will take them court.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Did you pay Lastminute for the room upfront, or did you pay the hotel directly? If the former then you should deal with Lastminute directly as your contract is with them and you would have no basis to take action against the hotel directly.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Did you pay Lastminute for the room upfront, or did you pay the hotel directly? If the former then you should deal with Lastminute directly as your contract is with them and you would have no basis to take action against the hotel directly.

Yes I paid Last min via the web site up front

As a hotel operator who takes bookings from Last Minute dotcom, perhaps I can clarify the payment attangements.

To the best of my knowledge, Last Minute do not take payment from customers. Whilst they do take your credit card details, these are not processed, they are merely faxed to the hotel to guarantee your booking - basically so if you do not turn up the hotel will charge your 1st night's stay.

The hotel may have used these details to bill you, but I have never come across Last Minute charging.

The T&C of the Last Minute web site state that they are merely a booking agent and your contract is with the hotel.

No way will the hotel have refunded Last Minute - they are spinning you a yarn.

British Shoe Corporation - won :) BT - won :) West Lancs Council - lost :-x 02 - won :) British Airways - still fighting :o STOP PRESS - RSPCA - daughter won with letters I wrote :)

Ive stayed in a Top Secret hotel before and have another booked for next Saturday, and both times my debit card was charged at the point of booking, and this is exactly how the last transaction appeared....

21 JUN 2008CARD PMNT 19JUN LASTMINUTE.COM£52.00

that was copied from my Internet banking directly. And the last time I stayed, at the Holiday Inn in London, the card was charged at the point of sale and that reflected on my receipt... I used to work as a hotel receptionist myself so I am well aware of the guarantee system, but my card details werent taken as a guarantee... they were actualyl used to pay. I had no problems at all - my room at the Holiday Inn was lovely and Im sure my room at the Hilton will be just as nice but I have to admit i was a little apprehensive about the whole system myself...

Hope you get it sorted. xx

THE PRETENDER AGENDA - August 30,2008 - 2ND ROW!!! WOO-HOO!! :-)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A FAB NITE LEE! xx

Sunderland 011008 - THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESSIE EVER! 'Aww, it's your birthday! Happy birthday darlin!'

02 Apr 2008, 23:55

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

i like that!! its simple and good and gets the fans involved aswell x x x

MY SUCCESSES -

1st Credit (Lloyds TSB) admitted no CCA, reply from OFT 130608, reply from FOS 040608, adjudication stage rejected but still no contact....

My mate (Littlewoods/Moorcroft)

300608 -Long running battle,threatening court, CCA letter NO 2 and harrassment letter sent - passed back to Littlewoods early July.

070808 - Passed to Debt Managers, Acct in dispute/BOG OFF letter sent 080808...

140808 - Letter from Debt Managers passing debt back to Littlewoods - RESULT! :D

I've booked hotels in central london via LMDC and ....

If using a credit card, my statement shows the hotel I stayed in as the party taking the funds...

BUT, If using a debit card my bank statement has shown LMDC taking the funds.

I have used them over 20 times in the past 3 years, just out of convenience and this has ALWAYS been the case... now though I use hotelclub.net, much better... get money back for booking with them, which can be used to make further bookings... plus without sounding as if im selling for them, but as i said i had made over 20 bookings with LMDC, not one room was EVER upgraded, but with hotelclub i've had 11 rooms "upgraded" and only booked 15 with them... Yeah i know it is up to the hotel, but with hotelclub you at least get to pick what hotel you stay in... any way...

LMDC

If using Debit Card, LMDC take payment from your card, and then pay the hotel.

If using a Credit Card, LMDC forward your details to the hotel and leave it at that, dont touch any payments.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Check your statement and see who got the money.

If it was the hotel then send them a 7 day LBA then send them the Good News which you can do on MoneyClaim.

If it was LMDC then give send them both a 7 day LBA and then sue them jointly.

Don't let this become drawn out. Act decisively. Stick to your deadelines and carry out your threats exactly - or don't bother.

Thy advertised a 4 star hotel. that is very luxurious and that is what you were entitled to.

I suggest that you sue them for £75 and settle for £60 or go to court. Make it clear in the LBA that you have rejected their 50% refund

Well done you and, I have to say, well done LMDC although they were silly not to take a businesslike view about this at the outset.

If you google them and top secret, you will find this thread on page one of Google. It wouldn't surprise me if they have noticed this thread and this has had something to do with their refund.

• 1 month later...

I would not recommend it either. I booked a Lastminute.com 'Top Secret' hotel at 6.30am today for a stay in Feb 09 and sadly regret not seeing this thread earlier. The description from lastminute read 'This chic hotel has been fully refurbished as a 4-star hotel complete with luxurious features. Each room has been newly refurbished with the emphasis on comfort and relaxation. With a variety of room types to choose from this hotel is an ideal place to stay for business or pleasure.'

This sounded ideal and the price was very good so I went ahead and got the hotel name Hyde Park Premier London Paddington. So I googled it and looked at the reviews and to my shock they are appalling. A rare good comment said about the hotel and all the residents wanted to leave as soon as they arrived. The last review dated 6 July. My heart sank as I read more reviews and I realised what a huge mistake it was to use the 'top secret' option.

So at 8am I rang lastminute and they have said that I can only cancel the booking without hotel charges if the actual hotel allows me to. If not I will have to pay 100% + the £20 cancellation fee. I was horrified as the reservation was made 6.23am today on my debit card and so surely the hotel has not processed yet.

Lastminute have told me that they will contact the hotel to see if they will cancel for free. I am to wait to hear from them and in addition if I book another hotel with lastminute they will not charge the £20. I am astounded at their policies.

Still in shock and very much disappointed but will have to wait and see the outcome. Not looking promising though!

Spoke to the hotel direct and they stated that Lastminute debit my account and that I need to speak to them with regard to a refund and the cancellation but that they had no issues with cancelling the booking per se.

Rang lastminute cusumer action group and told them that they had not spoken to the hotel and thus I was still waiting. Surprise, Suprise I get a message saying that my booking has been cancelled at no cost. So I think great. Then I get a call from another rep saying I need to pay the cancellation charge. After explaining my dissatisfaction and the message left by her colleague she has agreed to give me a full refund. RESULT.

so sorry for the intusion but how do i start a new thread, cant see a new thread button? soory again
Have a read of this thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (amended just for Bookie)

"How do I...?" A Dummies' Guide to this Forum

FAQ

Forum rules

Cag toolbar

Please Donate if you can - help CAG help others

I offer help and advice in good faith, based on my knowledge and experience. I am NOT a legal or financial expert. There are many CAG members and site team who are better qualified. Please do not make major decisions based on my advice alone.I do not give advice via P.M's. If anyone can correct my mistakes or improve on my advice, please do.